Vending Dog Treats from Bulk Machines

lionvending

I am thinking of converting a few of my bulk machines that I use for gumballs to vend dog treats.  Then I intend on placing these machines in groomers and vet clinics.  Has anyone had any experience with this?  The groomers that I have spoken with are asking for a commission.  Also, I am having a difficulty finding a dog treat supplier that has treats approximately the size of a 1" gumball.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  This would be a new niche market in my area, but there may be a reason that it is untouched.

There aren't too many dog treats that vend well uncapped. Capping things in acorn caps would be kinda time consuming, and I'd think the price you'd need to charge to make it worthwhile would be kinda high for many people to partake. If you've got something small that you can vend at an affordable rate out of a candy wheel, that would probably work, but I don't know too many treats that can be sold like that. But, I haven't done any research into that market in years.

Good luck!

In every vet clinic Ive been to the vet techs would always give my dogs treats over the counter or out of a pocket. For them I think its part of providing good service as a vets office. I imagine it would be the same at a pet groomers. In that setting I wouldnt typically pay for something I didnt need to. Just my two cents / another thing to consider...

• 1 year later...

Hey Lion, I'm new to vending and I'm researching my options.  I came across you post and wondered if you tried the pet vending.  I'm thinking of using a candy machine for treats or pet food at a local vets office.  What product did you decide on?

I've tried it twice and both were bust. I begrudgingly did it as a request from the owners using an old Oak deep candy wheel and little dog treats shaped as a bone (1.25 inches Nunn Brand). Complete waste of time and MY money. As someone mentioned before most vet clinics give free treats to the animals so that shoots your sales in the foot right off the bat.  Overall dog grooming locations have never been good for me regardless of what I am vending. Vet clinics are ok for gumballs.

I tried a variety of dog treats. I tries them in LYPC machines. While I was able to get some to vend ok, I couldn't get the margin where I wanted it. For this reason, I never got any placed.

I have an Asian shopping center with a koi pond outside. I have 2 racks inside that do pretty well. I also have a machine by the pool that sells fish pellets. The location provides the pellets and asks for 70% commission(on the pellets only). Definitely a weird setup, but it was part of a route i bought.

19 minutes ago, QuikVend said:

I have an Asian shopping center with a koi pond outside. I have 2 racks inside that do pretty well. I also have a machine by the pool that sells fish pellets. The location provides the pellets and asks for 70% commission(on the pellets only). Definitely a weird setup, but it was part of a route i bought.

I would do that :)

Archived