City Hall/Local Government Location

BaneTrain

Monday I am going to instal a double at the city hall in the town I work in. It will be gumball and skittles. The town has a population of 8,000 and I am sure with police, lawyers, city council, people paying bills etc it will get decent use. Has anyone had machines in their local city government? Do they do well? The mayor who I got the approval from conducts his finances at the Credit Union I work at and on Thursday he told me "You need to hurry up and put your machines in, I have all these quarters but no place to put them" lol. I am also going to try to install at least a gumball at the sanitation plant in the same town. The mayor gave me his approval but I have to ask someone else as well.

On another note, kinda sad but I pulled my first location yesterday  :( . Two months of only doing a $1.50 wasn't cutting it. At least it won't be in a break room and out in public now. 

I share a location at our courthouse. It does decent, but we have a population of 50,000 and on our town the courthouse is quite busy! Lol

I share a location at our courthouse. It does decent, but we have a population of 50,000 and on our town the courthouse is quite busy! Lol

I've also had a machine in a courthouse break room of a smaller town like yours that did about 15-20 a month.

I would like to have a location at city hall in Charleston or the county courthouse. The population would be the same as yours at 50,000 but I have to take what I can get. I hope it does well!

Lol yup, that's the way I feel about my Tattoo shop location in the next few months. The owner says they are slammed with everyone getting their checks and spending it on tattoos. 

Competitor

This is my new location at city hall. I thought I had this location all to myself but it turns out I don't. The picture is of the competitors equipment. One has sweettarts, chiclets and then the other has 2 gumball heads with one being two for a quarter. I have a skittles head and a gumball, 1 for 25. I have the advantage, mine is the first thing you see when you walk in the front door and there's is off in a corner. I wouldn't of noticed it unless I turned around. I hope they don't move it. Maybe it's a good location if there's a lot there? I am hoping so. I will wait and see how it goes, maybe make it a 2 for 25 as well or put in runts instead of gumballs. Any thoughts or ideas of what I should do?

If it was me and the temp was right in your area, I would put an expansion back with PMM in it and then put Skittles or MI on the other side and service on 90 day or so. You could start with a regular back and try it first though.

I've tried and tried to get in around here, but they're tied up with a local op who's been with them for years, so no dice for me. I know they do well for them.

As Rodney said, you'll want to see how your start-up setup does, and go from there. If sales are good, keep it, if sales are poor, trade some things out until they work. Good luck BaneTrain!

If it was me and the temp was right in your area, I would put an expansion back with PMM in it and then put Skittles or MI on the other side and service on 90 day or so. You could start with a regular back and try it first though.

I might have to try that. It doesn't seem like the heat in the building is set really high but I have only been in there once. Do you think Runts would work?

I've tried and tried to get in around here, but they're tied up with a local op who's been with them for years, so no dice for me. I know they do well for them.

As Rodney said, you'll want to see how your start-up setup does, and go from there. If sales are good, keep it, if sales are poor, trade some things out until they work. Good luck BaneTrain!

You know the other vendors do well at city hall locations? Maybe one day you'll get in! I only got in because I have a business and personal relationship with the mayor because of work. Yeah I am anxious to see how it does. I think if it's poor after a couple services I'll do a 2 for 25 gumball wheel then if that doesn't work put another candy in there. Thanks Performa!

• 2 weeks later...

So guys I went and checked on it after 2 weeks and it was a  huge bust. The gumballs only did 50 cents. I guess the 2 for 25 is a big deal. Also, ever since I had the gumballs in my car on a cold day, the gum in that machine is rock hard and was fine before I installed it. I don't know if they keep it too cool in there or it's the extremely cold temperatures right now. The skittles only did a $1.00, whoopie. So I don't know if I should try 2 for 25 or replace it with runts and if it does poor again, just pull it. 

So guys I went and checked on it after 2 weeks and it was a  huge bust. The gumballs only did 50 cents. I guess the 2 for 25 is a big deal. Also, ever since I had the gumballs in my car on a cold day, the gum in that machine is rock hard and was fine before I installed it. I don't know if they keep it too cool in there or it's the extremely cold temperatures right now. The skittles only did a $1.00, whoopie. So I don't know if I should try 2 for 25 or replace it with runts and if it does poor again, just pull it. 

Is the gum cracking in the machine? The problem with gum is that in the cold it contracts, and then expands again in the heat- but the outer shell and the gum expand at different rates, cracking them, and usually leaving the gum a lot harder.

If the other operator is still filling their machine, you'll want to swap out to different products. If the gum isn't up to snuff anymore (give it a try) then replace it, either with fresh or something else entirely.

If you are looking to fight with the other operator, get either the 10-flavor Dubble Bubble (HERE), or another specialty gumball. The "unique" factor allows you to continue selling at a quarter, and is about the only way to combat a 2-for-25 on equal terms, at least in my experience. Otherwise swap gum out for something else- let the other vendor give away their profits. Good luck!

If that was my location I would have started out with Reece's and mm peanut, if that didn't work, mike and Ike's, I used to run a lot of grape gum when I had gum competition and it always seemed to do ok, or you could try fruit stand

Is the gum cracking in the machine? The problem with gum is that in the cold it contracts, and then expands again in the heat- but the outer shell and the gum expand at different rates, cracking them, and usually leaving the gum a lot harder.

If the other operator is still filling their machine, you'll want to swap out to different products. If the gum isn't up to snuff anymore (give it a try) then replace it, either with fresh or something else entirely.

If you are looking to fight with the other operator, get either the 10-flavor Dubble Bubble (HERE), or another specialty gumball. The "unique" factor allows you to continue selling at a quarter, and is about the only way to combat a 2-for-25 on equal terms, at least in my experience. Otherwise swap gum out for something else- let the other vendor give away their profits. Good luck!

No it's not cracking at all, at least the bottom quarter which is the oldest from where it sat at the previous location seems to be rock hard. Yeah the other operator keeps their machine at a good level from what I see. The one that sells gum is for the Lion's Club. I kind of want to try 2 for 25 or even switch it out for a premium gumball like dippin dots but I feel another candy will work best instead of gum. There are currently 4 gum choices there. 

If that was my location I would have started out with Reece's and mm peanut, if that didn't work, mike and Ike's, I used to run a lot of grape gum when I had gum competition and it always seemed to do ok, or you could try fruit stand

You think Peanut M&M's would be good? I also thought about runts as well. The fruit stand gum looks really good but I have never bought any. 

No it's not cracking at all, at least the bottom quarter which is the oldest from where it sat at the previous location seems to be rock hard. Yeah the other operator keeps their machine at a good level from what I see. The one that sells gum is for the Lion's Club. I kind of want to try 2 for 25 or even switch it out for a premium gumball like dippin dots but I feel another candy will work best instead of gum. There are currently 4 gum choices there. 

Oh yeah, if they've got four other gum options, your best bet is to try something else at this point.

Archived