Dentyne ice

Candyguy

I have the machines that used to vend DI. As far as I know, it's no longer available in bulk. Polar ice is what many people(including myself) have been using as a substitute. Mine vend at 4 pieces for 25 cents.

DI was a huge scam operation. I believe there was a thread in here once about it, I met the guys behind the program at s convention once. They were entertaining. Not so much for the people sucked in though.

They were selling a variety of machines that were branded for the program. Some were northwesterns

The Dentyne Ice vending machines were a "Biz-Op" package deal where the operator would buy cheap import machines at grossly inflated prices, then buy their stocks directly from the Biz-Op, in this case the Dentyne Ice Gum. The machines were either Northwesterns, or later some halfway decent Northwestern clones, about on par with what Candy King Brand had for a NW clone in my opinion. Basically, when the Biz-Op 'scheme' was uncovered, it vanished as they all do, and the pipeline for supplies went with it. There is no place, to my knowledge that sells Dentyne Ice in bulk. Similar tales can be told for the "Altoids" and "Mentos" machines in that same vein.

404bb25aa421a679eb26d61ec5a7274b.png

I have seen these machines in the field even today, usually with the "Dentyne" logo taken off the globe (it was a decal as far as I could tell) so only the unique base and color scheme set them apart from any other import NW clones (Ashland, cough cough). They have a "standard" candy wheel inside, so you can vend any bulk candy you want out of there from 1080 count and PMM's to Skittles and Runts with the usual adjustments if you ever do wind up with one. I don't reccoment looking to buy any though- they're not very hardy, and though guys will scream "it's a collectible" until they're blue in the face, the machines are worth about next to nothing.

As for your question CandyGuy, I suspect the loc you have probably had one of these units back in their heyday, and probably missed it when it got taken out. Definitely try out the Polar Mint (HERE), as it's a great bulk item, and is the closest you'll be able to get in a cost-effective manner. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

If you're in Canada there are machines that vend full packs of gum for $2. I think it was a similar biz op from Excel/Wrigleys but I don't know any back-story to confirm that. I see them out-in-the-field still, but they also show up on craigslist pretty often, usually a few at a time. Never seen these types of machines used for anything other than gum.

Its a standard beaver coin-mech, I dont see why you couldnt switch it out for US currency if you could find one of the machines down south.
(not my photo)

10393_1351287464666_j.jpg

Archived