Networking

AMD Snacks

Hello all, I hear people say they know other vendors in their area and I'm curious on how everyone is finding other folks in their areas. I'm thinking about going to the big NVBA conference probably next year though, i'm still small but seems like I could still benefit. I'm always looking at machines everywhere I go (funny how i never noticed bulk machines before) but I never even see contact info or company names or anything to figure out who's even in my area. Any ideas? :blink:

I usually start with labels. Most guys with a brain in their head put their contact information on their machines- maybe not a name but usually a phone number or an email address. The way I networked was by helping out guys that I'd see in the field- places I'd go and shop and visit, if I saw a "low" machine I'd call in and let them know, that sort of thing. I had some "negative" experiences, sure, but most of my "local" operating pals I found this way. Most guys appreciate the help, and several guys that I've helped have returned the favor. Rule of thumb is treat em' how you'd like to be, and you should be okay for the most part. Good luck!

Thanks, i'm not sure if these machines with no labels are just big companies and have deals with the locations or what. I know several at bars i've checked out do multiple things like bulk, darts, and jukeboxes all at the same location. Have you ever been to the NBVA conferences? 

I've never been to the NBVA conference. It sounds like fun, but I just can't justify a trip like that at the size I am. Unless you're doing huge volumes, I just can't imagine it's worth the trip... though Flatline Mike does some cheese carving thing that's supposed to be pretty wild from what I understand.

Every "big" company has labels. Service Vending and NEN put theirs on their price stickers. If equipment doesn't have any tags, it's either owned by the location, or it's an idiot operator who hasn't had to try and recover stolen gear yet. Tread carefully on the former, but if it's the latter it's an easy mark for a takeover. Good luck!

Maybe you're right about the location putting them in themselves, since they're pretty big grocery stores I've been looking at mainly. It's hard for me to justify the trip also except that it's mainly tax deductible ( i think, i'd have to ask my accountant lol) I'm trying to find a balance between going all in for this business and not doing too much too fast.

It'd be nice if I could find some local guys, but we'll see. Another idea i'm planning is joining the chamber of commerce here, it's cheap and worth looking into to connect with local business owners. Anyone ever give that a shot? 

Ive tried to reach out to local vendors through contact info found on machines or through craigslist with zero luck - the few I've talked to in Toronto seem either really stressed out or skeptical about why I was trying to talk to them about vending.

Solojay - personally I'd rather save any dough I'd have to spend to join a chamber of commerce and throw those funds at other kinds of marketing or networking efforts. I've met a big pile of the friends I have because we all run small businesses in the city. The only way to really join a community is to try to actively participate in one, not just pay the membership dues.

I try to make it a habit to frequent the locations I have in my neighborhood not just to check on my machines but just to say hi when I'm passing by or to buy a coffee from my cafe locations. I follow all of their twitter and instagram accounts so I know what's going on in their worlds. Get involved in business events that are going on at your locations or in your city and things like that (popup events, launch parties, entrepreneur/startup coffee meetups, etc), its not rocket science.

None of my business friends or network acquaintances have anything to do with vending but its great to hear perspectives from a lot of different areas. I definitely gain insight from my restaurant and retail store owning friends that you wouldnt get in a room full of bulk vendors.

Thanks Reilly, I got the chamber of commerce idea from a friend of mine who has a small window washing business. But I haven't actually tried it out yet myself. I feel strangely optimistic about this bulk business so I do, and will probably keep coming up with  new ideas and different thoughts about how to expand or solidify my little route. I will definitely try getting to know some more locals for sure. I was doing that back when I started in my old city, but since I just moved I don't know any small businesses yet. 

I'm a bit confused about what you mean about marketing, since I don't have a central location, what would you be marketing? Or a better question is where and how would you put money into marketing? 

I'm a bit confused about what you mean about marketing, since I don't have a central location, what would you be marketing? Or a better question is where and how would you put money into marketing? 

Marketing isn't only about driving people to one central location. I think the most important things about marketing are getting brand recognition, doing all you can to promote vending as a retail platform, and also promote the products that are coming out of your machines.

I've made pages on my website listing all the locations where my machines are and what's type of machine is where and also try to use my social media to drive traffic to my locations. I've spent a lot of time and money having my business logos printed and displayed in all my machines so they're recognizable inside a location. One of my cafe spots has several now regular customers who hadn't even heard of the place until seeing my instagram posts about the vending machines being there- shop owners appreciate that kind of thing.

I try to treat it as if finding and using my machine should be a fun full experience rather than being just another dusty gumball head in the corner. Go the extra mile to have custom decals done or make display cards that don't look like they came out of a fax machine in 1985, the attention to detail is what matters. All of my locations have told me that people have visited their shops specifically just to pump coins into my machines and then leave. If I know I'm doing a good job of marketing my own machines I don't have to worry solely about month to month foot traffic moving through a location.

I think I will search up the thread I posted a while ago about vending and social media - I feel a lot of the ideas being talked about in here are relevant there and vice versa.

You should look into doing consulting with this idea. I like it and I think given the right products and location it can work. I can't see someone driving a couple miles just to get a gumball unless it's the best D$%N gumball around lol. I've only been vending for 7 months now but I like how you have a different approach to vending. I am curious, did you start out just placing machines without social media posts then had the idea to promote them? If so, I'd love to know how much social media promotion has improved your profits for that location. 

Bane- obviously people wouldn't drive miles for a gumball, it works really well for me because I have a fairly unique set of products, but I think the some of same principals could be applied to a more traditional route, or people running arcade / prize games.
I've only been vending for a year or two and have been running social media for my business for longer than that - so when I got the machines it seemed an obvious thing to post about. I'd be curious to see what kind of improvement it would make as well but I don't have the data unfortunately.

On another note- is the NBVA always in Vegas? Even though I'm a real small time operator I'm still curious about going to the conference. Would try to find a way to write it off if it was in a city I had any desire at all to visit...

Someone else can probably answer better, but the last two years at least it's been in Vegas. I'll end up going at least once, if nothing else than for the experience. But with a new house, new baby, new job and new route...not gonna happen this year lol. 

Archived