Snack box update

bhumphrey829

My goal right now is 400 boxes.   The only thing that worries me about getting that many locations is running out of places to hit.  I keep hearing that won't happen, but I guess we will see.  By the  Dennis is who I was getting all of my advice from in the beginning.  He had over 1,500 locations throughout the state of Iowa.  He sold it and is now enjoying retirement.

In 10 months time you are almost half way there. At the earliest you could be at your goal by the 2 yr mark.

In 10 months time you are almost half way there. At the earliest you could be at your goal by the 2 yr mark.

That's true, however, it's going to start slowing down a little because I starting to clean up some accounts that need pulling, and it's also starting to take longer to get my boxes out.  I am going to end up having to hire a locator to place boxes so i can concentrate on running the route.

• Like 1

I think you might hit a plateau around 200 boxes.

My advice is to keep the route where you won't need to hire someone. It's hard to set up a fair pay structure without the risk of your employee dipping into the profits. It's also very hard to oversee their progress. At your pace, 400 boxes should produce a very good profit and I'd recommend either a minivan or a Ford transit connect if you need a suitable vehicle. Either one should handle your route with good fuel economy, comfort, space, and easily repaired at any mechanic.

• Like 1

I think you might hit a plateau around 200 boxes.

My advice is to keep the route where you won't need to hire someone. It's hard to set up a fair pay structure without the risk of your employee dipping into the profits. It's also very hard to oversee their progress. At your pace, 400 boxes should produce a very good profit and I'd recommend either a minivan or a Ford transit connect if you need a suitable vehicle. Either one should handle your route with good fuel economy, comfort, space, and easily repaired at any mechanic.

Thanks for the advice.  I appreciate any input i can get on here.  Right now I run my route in a hyundai Tuscon.  I love the gas mileage. I'm not sure how many boxes i can actually fit in there.  Especially when I get more and more of the bigger boxes.  As far as hiring someone, I really only plan to hire someone to do my locating and maybe actually fill the boxes with product so i can concentrate on just running my route.  Not sure how Dennis went about hiring people to run his routes because being an all cash business it would really have to be people you trusted with all your heart.  And I agree about the plateau about the  200 box mark, but hopefully i will be able to work through it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Weekly snack box update:  placed 2 new boxes, pulled 5 sitting at 175 locations.  Grossed $1,501.00 Averaged $16.98, theft ran 14%

Hey.  I just wanted to chime back in and tell you how much I really appreciate you posting these updates.  Thanks to the info from you, and other posters on this board, I think I am finally ready to start myself.  I will probably be ordering my first 50 boxes in the next couple of weeks.  Excited and a little nervous at the same time.  But mostly just ready to start making a little extra money while doing some work for a good cause.  Thanks for the updates and please keep posting them.  They are really appreciated.

Hey.  I just wanted to chime back in and tell you how much I really appreciate you posting these updates.  Thanks to the info from you, and other posters on this board, I think I am finally ready to start myself.  I will probably be ordering my first 50 boxes in the next couple of weeks.  Excited and a little nervous at the same time.  But mostly just ready to start making a little extra money while doing some work for a good cause.  Thanks for the updates and please keep posting them.  They are really appreciated.

I appreciate the post.  If you need any help getting started, don't hesitate to ask.

Weekly update:  0 new locations, pulled 2, 173 total locations.  I didn't attempt to put any new boxes out.  I was busy trying to get my soda accounts set up.  Grossed $1,190.00  Avg $19.50 per box  Theft 11% 

It seems that you're doing a good job of weeding out the bad locations.  Am I wrong or are your average collections up and the average theft down over the last few weeks?  I do enjoy your updates, keep them coming.

Yes, sir, AZ, my thefts are down and average is up.  I used to worry about my "number" of locations", but it didn't take long to figure out I had much rather have less locations and have more quality locations.  Another thing I started doing which has helped with cost goods is writing down on the back of my locating card what they are not buying at each location.   It takes longer to do my paper work now because before when i would get back to the warehouse, I would just count what was left in the  box, put it in my return bin and that's it, instead of actually paying attention to what was selling so it's working out a lot better.  I'm still a rookie at this so i'm constantly learing by trial and error since I  really  don't have a "mentor" to teach me a step by step process lol.  I appreciate the post.

Weekly update:  7 new locations, pulled 1 account.  Grossed $1,044.  Avg  $15.80 per box, theft ran at 12%, serviced 66 boxes.

Do you have a lot of schools?  A lot of places that take summer time off tend to eat out of snack boxes as though they are having a famine and conveniently "forget" to pay the box.

Do you have a lot of schools?  A lot of places that take summer time off tend to eat out of snack boxes as though they are having a famine and conveniently "forget" to pay the box.

No, I do not have any schools.  All the schools I know of already have vending machines, and I can't imagine a school with a lot of kids would have much "honor" lol.

They would work in the staff lounge.

When  i worked for a vending company, most of the schools on my route had vending machines in the staff lounges.  I was thinking about trying out some day care centers, don't know how that would work