Snack box update

bhumphrey829

Read every page of this thread and very much appreciate you giving the weekly updates. Being new to the business I paid a locator for 100 locations and will be doing lollipops in Pink Ribbon boxes.

I think my only question at this time is if you are servicing 20 locations a day, does that mean you have 20 stocked boxes in your car and you just run into the location real quick and swap them out? So you come home with 20 boxes that are partially stocked?

I know you asked him but that's basically what we do but smaller numbers. Have them stocked and switch out rather than try to stock in the van. For us about 20% aren't placed often but we try to leave ten boxes back for each day. Recently we got more boxes so we are hoping to get up to a 15-17 boxes serviced per day routine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snack boxes might take that long, but we've ran 60 mint boxes inn a day. I don't preload. I take 2 boxes with me to switch out. 

Snack boxes Are different though. 

Does one person do all that? Do you keep track of sales for each location? Do u zip tie your boxes?

Not sure if the quality of lollipop is important. I see a price range of 3 cents to 10 cents.

A lot of hair salons here give out the dum dum types. We use tootsie pops and blow pops. Haven't tried others. They sell well at many locations with kids around.

1 hour ago, vendtex said:

Does one person do all that? Do you keep track of sales for each location? Do u zip tie your boxes?

Yes, my driver does it in about 7 hours when we need to run that many. A couple times it took about 9 hours. No, we haven't used zip ties to this point, but some of the boxes are getting worn enough that we'll need to start or replace the box. 

I used to track sales at each location. I only do it now when we first start a new route to determine whether it's weekly, biweekly, or monthly.  After that we just run them.

When we track it, we use a 1 gallon zip lock bag, then dump the money in it and write with a marker on the bag what the location is and then throw it in something else. Even doing that, 50 stops in a day isn't too hard. 

After you get the hang of it, you can tell when there's a lot of shrinkage. If it gets to where we're not making enough to pay his wage, product, monthly fee and so on, we pull it.

1 hour ago, vendtex said:

Yes, my driver does it in about 7 hours when we need to run that many. A couple times it took about 9 hours. No, we haven't used zip ties to this point, but some of the boxes are getting worn enough that we'll need to start or replace the box. 

I used to track sales at each location. I only do it now when we first start a new route to determine whether it's weekly, biweekly, or monthly.  After that we just run them.

When we track it, we use a 1 gallon zip lock bag, then dump the money in it and write with a marker on the bag what the location is and then throw it in something else. Even doing that, 50 stops in a day isn't too hard. 

After you get the hang of it, you can tell when there's a lot of shrinkage. If it gets to where we're not making enough to pay his wage, product, monthly fee and so on, we pull it.

If you have any other questions, just PM me or start another thread. This has gotten pretty far off topic of the Snack Box Update of Brian.

38 minutes ago, bhumphrey829 said:

Weekly  update:  188 locations.  Grossed $1,291.00  Avg $17.00 per box.  Theft ran at 13%.  Serviced 76 boxes

How many locations have you went through to get 188 locations?  Do you retain any locations long term or do they all eventually turnover do to theft? Have you considered or tried going to  $1.25? I enjoy reading your updates! Thanks! 

8 hours ago, Determined said:

How many locations have you went through to get 188 locations?  Do you retain any locations long term or do they all eventually turnover do to theft? Have you considered or tried going to  $1.25? I enjoy reading your updates! Thanks! 

First of all, I couldn't tell you how many locations i have went through to get to 188.  As far as long they stay at a location, well that varies.  I have some that have been on location for 4 years (I had 6 boxes for a long time when i was working a full time job).  Then i have some that I pull after 6 weeks, due to theft.  So that's a tough number to give. 

And yes, all of my boxes that i have been putting out for the last 4 months have all been 1.25.  I have not went up on the boxes that i have out at 1.00 only because I figure since it's based on the honor system, if they have been paying 1.00 this whole time, even the most honest people may have a hard time throwing that extra .25 in there lol. However, i am up for advice on this matter if anyone wants to chime in on that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bhumphrey829 said:

First of all, I couldn't tell you how many locations i have went through to get to 188.  As far as long they stay at a location, well that varies.  I have some that have been on location for 4 years (I had 6 boxes for a long time when i was working a full time job).  Then i have some that I pull after 6 weeks, due to theft.  So that's a tough number to give. 

And yes, all of my boxes that i have been putting out for the last 4 months have all been 1.25.  I have not went up on the boxes that i have out at 1.00 only because I figure since it's based on the honor system, if they have been paying 1.00 this whole time, even the most honest people may have a hard time throwing that extra .25 in there lol. However, i am up for advice on this matter if anyone wants to chime in on that.

One way to change pricing would be to bring in a new box that looks different, add a few new products that might have a higher perceived value.

For the first 4-6 months it may not get the extra .25, but after awhile they usually come around. 

I haven't done it with snack boxes, but plenty of other stuff. 

Also, if there's ever a change in prices, even slightly in product or gas, you can change it then and leave a note that says, "due to an increase in product cost", or " operation costs" we need to Raise prices too continue bringing excellent products and service.

On bulk, I just changed it without anything. Sales numbers dropped a little on product moving, but my gross money stayed the same for about6 months, then has increased.

3 hours ago, rodney69 said:

One way to change pricing would be to bring in a new box that looks different, add a few new products that might have a higher perceived value.

For the first 4-6 months it may not get the extra .25, but after awhile they usually come around. 

Also, if there's ever a change in prices, even slightly in product or gas, you can change it then and leave a note that says, "due to an increase in product cost", or " operation costs" we need to Raise prices too continue bringing excellent products and service.

On bulk, I just changed it without anything. Sales numbers dropped a little on product moving, but my gross money stayed the same for about6 months, then has increased.

Thanks rodney, that's what i may do.  When  I upgrade to a bigger box just bring in  my $1.25  box

5 hours ago, bhumphrey829 said:

Exactly, any change at all will help alleviate a knee jerk reaction.

You could start taking cards, change to 1.25 and add the fees to run the card. 

I would only do that on places without a snack machine though.