New Location Machine suggestion

putrevus

Hi All,

I just got a call from a museum , they need two machines mainly for soda , if I can give them snacks they would love it.

But the problem is they have two spots where the machines can go, one is 28 inches and other one is 34 inches. Can I put any machines in that space if what are those machines.

Is this even worth it.

Thanks again for your help.

Hi All,

I just got a call from a museum , they need two machines mainly for soda , if I can give them snacks they would love it.

But the problem is they have two spots where the machines can go, one is 28 inches and other one is 34 inches. Can I put any machines in that space if what are those machines.

Is this even worth it.

Thanks again for your help.

You could stick a full size Royal in the 34 inch space but that 28 inch space will only accept a National 474 combo at 27 inches wide - even the AMS Slim Gem is too wide for this space and the older USI three wides are slightly too wide as well.

You don't say if these machines are accessible to the public or not - if we're talking about a break room, I'd probably skip it altogether.

You could stick a full size Royal in the 34 inch space but that 28 inch space will only accept a National 474 combo at 27 inches wide - even the AMS Slim Gem is too wide for this space and the older USI three wides are slightly too wide as well.

You don't say if these machines are accessible to the public or not - if we're talking about a break room, I'd probably skip it altogether.

She said it is for public as they have closed their gift shop they want to provide at least drinks to their visitors.

She said it is for public as they have closed their gift shop they want to provide at least drinks to their visitors.

The red flag here, to me, is the fact that there apparently wasn't enough foot traffic to support the gift shop.  Should you proceed, I'd start with a full size soda machine to see if it'll do at least $300 a month.  This will give you a good indication if a snack machine even makes sense.  If the soda machine works out then I'd consider the snack machine.  Remeasure that 28" space to see if it's just a little wider as you could then consider an AMS Slim Gem.  The problem with three wide snack machines is, like combos, their small size makes them less profitable so you don't want just get one and find out it doesn't produce as then you end up with an expensive White Elephant in stiorage.

I am sure you are taking door swing into consideration of machine width, but it is always worth restating when talking about tight spaces when the wall or other limiting obstruction protrudes out farther than the side of the machine.

I have one machine where the last column is unused because the door cannot swing far enough to access it. (Space-to-Sales machine, so it still performs as needed with all selections. If that sentence does not make sense for a newer operator, skip it.)

Good thing for me that an Antares bill changer on the right-hand side automatically keeps the machine eight inches from the side wall! B)

LB

I am sure you are taking door swing into consideration of machine width, but it is always worth restating when talking about tight spaces when the wall or other limiting obstruction protrudes out farther than the side of the machine.

I have one machine where the last column is unused because the door cannot swing far enough to access it. (Space-to-Sales machine, so it still performs as needed with all selections. If that sentence does not make sense for a newer operator, skip it.)

Good thing for me that an Antares bill changer on the right-hand side automatically keeps the machine eight inches from the side wall! B)

LB

I am going there later this week to take measurements, thanks for that info I will keep that in mind for door swing. 

LB

Just out of curiosity, if you have a machine capable of space-to-sales programming why is there an Antares bill changer anywhere near it?

Different machines. Retreading my post, I should have more clearly made the two points separately. You know I like to throw my Antares fleet out there to get hammered. But the Antares changer does serve that purpose. The StS machine is a Vendo chilled M&M.

LB

Hey LB,

Your still using Antares machines? What happens when the price goes past 1.00? I had five of them brand new back in the day thought it was a waste of money.. I sold them with locations and the knuckle head disappears.. After one year of the location manager asking me nicely me to come back I took over two locations and threw that Antares crap in the garbage kept the dollar bill changer and locks.. Salvaged some things.. Terrible design. If only I knew :( not to bad just read the above post lol

Ha. I hear you talking, avatar.

I try to not change prices on those Antares unless I have to do so, since it requires about 10 minutes and the disassembly of 30+ pieces. I have some at $1.00, and when the need arises to go higher, the locations will: lose our services; buy a plastic vending machine for cheap; or have enough sales to justify a combo. In the meantime, I collect $60 to $100 a month from most of them. I bought most of them on location and have only actually placed one myself.

No thread hijack, as this is pertinent to putrevus' original dilemma...

The one I placed is in a location with a very narrow recessed space that benefits from a quiet machine. One of the few good things about Antares is how quiet they are (except for that shotgun of a bill changer!). Other benefits include how narrow a space it can fit and how little amperage it takes on a circuit (which may already have a hefty load on it). I have one location that has a height restriction of just under six feet, so Mr. Antares fits right in (literally!). Point is, most machines (definitely not all) on the market have a good use. For instance, the combos I mention above are only at these convenient, commission-free, easy access, nearby Antares locations, many of which already have other business with us. Otherwise, the combo is a bad idea (as it is in most instances).

If putrevus' classy museum is nearby or on an existing route, a combo - not an Antares! - or slimmer drink machine (like a 276E) may be decently profitable. The gift shop may have been stupid slow, or they may have priced themselves out of business. More measurements, a cynical eye, and a few probing questions will help make the decision. Vending at a museum is an interesting proposition, anyway. Those gift shops are usually on the way out, as they tend to discourage snacks and drinks in the actual exhibit areas.

Any update on measurements, putrevus?

LB

Might want to ask the museum about their average attendance (if they will tell you) or eyeball it yourself.... estimate how long the average visitor stays... will they be there long enough and in big enough numbers to make it a good location?  Helps to figure out how much you want to spend getting set up

Might want to ask the museum about their average attendance (if they will tell you) or eyeball it yourself.... estimate how long the average visitor stays... will they be there long enough and in big enough numbers to make it a good location?  Helps to figure out how much you want to spend getting set up

I just got a call from the museum just now asking me put my machine and do I have any contract which they can sign, I said I don't have any contract.

How much commission is reasonable for me to pay. She said they have few events where more than 9000 people come and they frequently have student tours but cannnot give any other numbers.

So I am planning to put a full size soda machine and then see if it works outs then put a combo. They want at least 4 rows of water.

Water is a good seller and a good markup item. If you are putting in a stack type drink machine I would not make too many selections water to start, but I would think it would sell well in a location such as that.

I try to structure my commissions based on sales volume, and have started telling smaller locations that they will not get any if their sales don't average at least $50 per week. (I think most people posting here would not even touch an account that didn't do at least that much anyway).   I start out at 5% above that, and will go to 10% if the locations turns good sales.  15% is rare and reserved for the top locations.  Prices are adjusted accordingly when commissions are paid.  I use a short vending services agreement that sets out the terms in a single page, nothing too fancy but it works to make sure that everyone understands the deal.  I have never seen anything like a standard contract form and am not sure if anyone shares such things, but if you need an example I won't mind sharing... just keep in mind that I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY nor am I offering legal advise!!! (That should make the bar association happy)

No commission man, they called you right? Do not talk about that unless they bring it up and let her know the prices will go up to cover the commission.

She asked for commission, I said between 5 to 10 percent of gross sales.

These machines is going out side the gift shop, I have no idea why they had no machines so far, I have one brand new  vendo 721 at a location which is doing very slow. I want to move that to this location.

She asked for commission, I said between 5 to 10 percent of gross sales.

These machines is going out side the gift shop, I have no idea why they had no machines so far, I have one brand new  vendo 721 at a location which is doing very slow. I want to move that to this location.

An excellent choice. That will give you high capacity in 12  oz cans.

Ha. I hear you talking, avatar.

I try to not change prices on those Antares unless I have to do so, since it requires about 10 minutes and the disassembly of 30+ pieces. I have some at $1.00, and when the need arises to go higher, the locations will: lose our services; buy a plastic vending machine for cheap; or have enough sales to justify a combo. In the meantime, I collect $60 to $100 a month from most of them. I bought most of them on location and have only actually placed one myself.

No thread hijack, as this is pertinent to putrevus' original dilemma...

The one I placed is in a location with a very narrow recessed space that benefits from a quiet machine. One of the few good things about Antares is how quiet they are (except for that shotgun of a bill changer!). Other benefits include how narrow a space it can fit and how little amperage it takes on a circuit (which may already have a hefty load on it). I have one location that has a height restriction of just under six feet, so Mr. Antares fits right in (literally!). Point is, most machines (definitely not all) on the market have a good use. For instance, the combos I mention above are only at these convenient, commission-free, easy access, nearby Antares locations, many of which already have other business with us. Otherwise, the combo is a bad idea (as it is in most instances).

If putrevus' classy museum is nearby or on an existing route, a combo - not an Antares! - or slimmer drink machine (like a 276E) may be decently profitable. The gift shop may have been stupid slow, or they may have priced themselves out of business. More measurements, a cynical eye, and a few probing questions will help make the decision. Vending at a museum is an interesting proposition, anyway. Those gift shops are usually on the way out, as they tend to discourage snacks and drinks in the actual exhibit areas.

Any update on measurements, putrevus?

LB

They have asked to put machine next door to gift shop, this has better visibility for the machine.The main problem is doors other than the main entrance door all the inside doors have maximum of 30 inches width.

Do I have any option of fitting any machine thru this space other Dixie Narco 276 E.

Thanks for help

They have asked to put machine next door to gift shop, this has better visibility for the machine.The main problem is doors other than the main entrance door all the inside doors have maximum of 30 inches width.

Do I have any option of fitting any machine thru this space other Dixie Narco 276 E.

Thanks for help

By opening the door and "clam shelling" it through, you should be able to get most machines through a 30" wide opening.  This is a common practice used by all pro movers.

Archived