Taking The Plunge!

CJvend

Hello everyone, just joined this group and making my first post. Just to introduce myself, my name is Mike, I own and operate a Photo Booth rental service here in New Jersey, so I have some experience in the service industry, looking to add this business to supplement my income. 

I have been reading through a lot of the threads and pinned posts and learning a ton. I have been researching the vending business for about a month or so and looking to get in to the business, while initially wanting to start with snack and soda machines, I have decided that starting with about 10 bulk triple head machines and placing may be the best way to "get my feet wet". 

I am posting here for a little help from the experienced guys, just so I am not getting in over my head and missing major red flags. I found a guy on the local Craigslist selling a bunch of Vendstar 3000(he has them labeled as vendstar 2000 but I don't think that is correct). He claims them to be functional and in good cosmetic condition. He states they only need keys, which he has the codes for. I found keys on eBay for about $13 a piece.

I have read the good and bad on the Vendstar machines and decided a good starting point even though their flaws and plastic build. I have negotiated a price of $500 for 10 of them. 

My plan is to buy them, get the keys and then have them located as soon as possible. I am planning on using a locator just to get them out there quickly, and if all goes well, buy a few more from the guy(he states he currently has about 40 on hand). 

I am just looking for any tips from the pros here on what to look out for. When I go see these machines, what should I be checking for when I inspect them? Any tips or advice is appreciated. Thank you!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea I've seen many mixed feelings about the vend stars. I see a lot of people post and say they like them for the price and are making money with them which is why I thought they would be OK to start with. Why do you think the single heads are better to start with? I don't picture gum balls selling very well but I really don't know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Single heads are more versatile than a triple. You can add a head easily with a double bracket. Also you will only have to stock 1 product which makes it a whole lot easier. If you stay in bulk and decide to move into racks, they can easily be added to racks.

Vendstar wheels are not very cheap and you will be stuck at a .25 vend. Locks for a Northwestern or Oak can be had for $3. Just an example.

Hey CJ try the "where to buy used equipment thread" on the first page of the bulk forum here or use the search, there are tons of good ideas on here for that already.

My advice is to use whatever equipment you can get your hands on - something is (for the most part) better than nothing. That said, I wouldn't ever invest $500 in plastic triples.

Maybe see if the seller would give you a good deal on one or two to get you started and then use the other $400 to expand with better quality equipment when it becomes available to you. I've got one single plastic bodied machine because I scored it for $10 and the difference in quality is night and day. I'd spend the extra money for northwesterns or beavers any day.

Good points. What if I could get him down to $200 for 5 machines as a start and place them until I can get my hands on better equipment. I could replace the machines at the high traffic areas with the newer higher quality equipment.

I wouldn't pay that much for 10 of those. When I first started looking to expand my first route, I bought 25 Vendstars for $450. They were okay, but very one-dimensional. I have since switched to oaks personally. You can vend any gumball or candy and the option is there to adjust your price if necessary.

I still have some 1800 triple heads on location. They provide at least a little flexibility as far as what I can vend and what I can charge.

Keep scouring searchtempest.com (all craigslist sites in one place) or ebay for deals. The better deal you start with, the quicker that money becomes profit.

Thanks for the input. Excuse my noob-ness... But you usually need different mechanisms to do gum balls and candy right? So a machine typically do both without some type of modification?

Thanks for the input. Excuse my noob-ness... But you usually need different mechanisms to do gum balls and candy right? So a machine typically do both without some type of modification?

Typically there are candy wheels and gumball wheels. With the vendstars you're looking at, they only have candy wheels. They do have gumball wheels out there, but they're pricey (about $20) and may not be very reliable.

With some of the other machines, they have both candy and gumball wheels that are much more fairly priced and much more reliable.

No problem.

There is money to be made with vendstars, you just have to get them at a good price(I think $25 or less is decent) and put them in the right locations(where they won't get too beat up).

From what I have read, I agree with that. Which is why I thought the vendstars were a good entry point. The advice here has opened my eyes tho. If I can get the vendstars for $25 or less I will consider but for now I think I will pass this guys offer up and continue looking for other good used equipment.

The deals are out there, just gotta keep looking. I look every day myself. If you use searchtempest.com, you can search all areas close to you and see what's being offered elsewhere and also compare prices.

Good luck in your search though and welcome to the forum. My name is Mike also btw.

Thanks, I will be in touch with them. I did some digging on craigslist and eBay last night as you guys recommended. I found some better deals. One guys selling 6-Vendstar 3000's for $8 a piece(yes i know plastic crap) and a  guy selling metal triple head machines asking $750 for 10. I spoke with him on the phone and talked him down to $50 a piece if I buy 15. he said they are in good condition and he has a few beat up machines for parts that he will throw in with the purchase and will also throw in a few extra wheels and mechs. He also has keys for them and they are keyed alike. He's not sure what brand they are but thinks they are "Tri-vend" only thing I can find with quick google search is that try-vend is a line that Eagle produces. The picture doesn't seem to match what google shows for the Eagle Ti-Vend. Let me see if I can attach a photo and maybe someone can identify it. Also, the center of each unit has a gumball wheel and the sides have candy wheels. vendingmachine_zpsm0zzut38.jpg

Does anyone know what brand this machine might be?

That machine has been duplicated buy multiple companies. They all look similar. Lypc,rhino,xyz vending, northwestern. All setup almost identically. I'm not positive exactly which brand that is. Someone else will be able to chime in on that. Are you specifically looking for just triple head machines, or are these just the ones you're finding?

I am not specifically looking for triple head machines, It just seems to be the ones I am finding, especially in quantity. Most of the single heads have something wrong, don't include stands, are "vintage" and accept only pennies, etc. I am using a variety of search terms on CL and finding different things with each search. The triple heads seem to be the most prevalent. 

Thanks, I will be in touch with them. I did some digging on craigslist and eBay last night as you guys recommended. I found some better deals. One guys selling 6-Vendstar 3000's for $8 a piece(yes i know plastic crap) and a guy selling metal triple head machines asking $750 for 10. I spoke with him on the phone and talked him down to $50 a piece if I buy 15. he said they are in good condition and he has a few beat up machines for parts that he will throw in with the purchase and will also throw in a few extra wheels and mechs. He also has keys for them and they are keyed alike. He's not sure what brand they are but thinks they are "Tri-vend" only thing I can find with quick google search is that try-vend is a line that Eagle produces. The picture doesn't seem to match what google shows for the Eagle Ti-Vend. Let me see if I can attach a photo and maybe someone can identify it. Also, the center of each unit has a gumball wheel and the sides have candy wheels. vendingmachine_zpsm0zzut38.jpg

Does anyone know what brand this machine might be?

It's called the junk Chinese import machine

Hello everyone, just joined this group and making my first post. Just to introduce myself, my name is Mike, I own and operate a Photo Booth rental service here in New Jersey, so I have some experience in the service industry, looking to add this business to supplement my income. 

I have been reading through a lot of the threads and pinned posts and learning a ton. I have been researching the vending business for about a month or so and looking to get in to the business, while initially wanting to start with snack and soda machines, I have decided that starting with about 10 bulk triple head machines and placing may be the best way to "get my feet wet". 

I am posting here for a little help from the experienced guys, just so I am not getting in over my head and missing major red flags. I found a guy on the local Craigslist selling a bunch of Vendstar 3000(he has them labeled as vendstar 2000 but I don't think that is correct). He claims them to be functional and in good cosmetic condition. He states they only need keys, which he has the codes for. I found keys on eBay for about $13 a piece.

I have read the good and bad on the Vendstar machines and decided a good starting point even though their flaws and plastic build. I have negotiated a price of $500 for 10 of them. 

My plan is to buy them, get the keys and then have them located as soon as possible. I am planning on using a locator just to get them out there quickly, and if all goes well, buy a few more from the guy(he states he currently has about 40 on hand). 

I am just looking for any tips from the pros here on what to look out for. When I go see these machines, what should I be checking for when I inspect them? Any tips or advice is appreciated. Thank you!

I have to say these are some of my worst machines but I have over 150 of them. The coin mechs do not last and the damn chute covers break off every month. I don't even keep up with the chute flaps anymore. Even though that they sub par machines I think that you will be able to get a good cash flow going with them and you can swap to a better machine down the road. I started with vendstars in 2001 and still have upwards of 150 of them out there. When I started I used vendstars because dad found a whole 20'x10' storage full of them. I don't remember how many it was but I think it was around 300 of them that we bought. I wish today I knew the value of them because dad definitely over paid for them but that wasn't really important as his teaching to me were.

Archived