Sorta newbie needs help, 20oz deer park getting jammed

Chkoolaid1

Hey guys, im new to TVF and sorta new to vending. I've had a 3 machines for a year now and am getting ready to buy 3 more for an account I already have, and then 4 more once those are placed and wanted some advice first. I currently have water in two machines. It's deer park 20oz bottles, both in the narrow columns but I can't stack more than 9 or 10 or the weight causes the bottles to smoosh together and then get jammed when it comes to vend. I called Vendors Exchange where I buy my machines and they didn't have any advice. Has anyone had success with a particular brand/bottle? I thought about adding a second water slot in the machine but I have no idea how to switch everything for a bottle instead of a can. Both pop machines are Dixie Narco 501e live displays. Any water suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!

Chris

Welcome to the forum Chris.

You do not want to use 20 oz Deer Park water for the exact reason you are asking about.  The 20 oz bottles aren't designed for vending and squished and jammed bottles are the result.  You need to find the 16.0 oz bottles of Deer Park water.  These are 16.0 oz, not 16.9 oz bottles.  The 16.0 oz bottles have ribs formed in the bottle from top to bottom that stiffen the bottle and prevent the collapse when the bottles are cold.  You should check at Vistar if you have one near you or at Sams Club or Walmart for these bottles.  Changing to those bottles will require you to set the column up with a can shim and a rod/spring assembly in the rotor but then you can fill the column to the top and not have problems.

If you can't find these bottles and/or you are bent on selling 20 oz bottles then you need to look around for Dasani or Aquafina bottles that are nitrogen filled.  These bottles will be hard when they are warm.  The nitrogen is injected to stiffen the bottle for vending.  If any bottle is soft when warm then it is not injected with nitrogen and will deform when it gets cold.  You may need to look for quite a while to find those nitrogen bottles but when you do you should buy a lot of them in the event they aren't available again for a while.  The bottlers don't seem to stock them anywhere on purpose so it's hit and miss where you might find them.  Vistar would be a good place to check.

I use 20oz ozarka from Sam's club. They tend to be tighter & I typically don't have jams. I also put them in double columns because it tends to have more forgiveness than the single column. There is a thicker plastic vend bottle that you can buy that's meant specifically for vending, but I can't remember the supplier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bottled water is the worst, being non-carbonated you really have to check all the bottles for softness when you load... if you have a 7Up Snapple distributor in your area their Deja Blue brand 20 oz is in a pretty good bottle and they keep the price low (at least in my area)

So strange, I've been using Deer Park 20 oz for 5+ years and cannot remember the last jam.  Only fill them up halfway but it's always worked like a charm.  I know I know, standby for 5 jams this week  :-)

Only filling your columns half way is the entire problem with the 20 oz bottle from the regional Nestle brands.  Why give up that much machine volume to a weak bottle?  You should be able to use all the capacity of your machine.

Only filling your columns half way is the entire problem with the 20 oz bottle from the regional Nestle brands.  Why give up that much machine volume to a weak bottle?  You should be able to use all the capacity of your machine.

First, the accounts where I have these waters are weekly or bi-weekly stops, so they never run out of water anyway because I'm consistently there filling up the snack machines and sodas.  Second, I cannot (easily) get any of the other bottled water options listed here - and I don't want to go thru the trouble of setting up an account and having deliveries from Vistar.  I'm at Sam's twice a week (shopping + I have the break room there) so it's very easy for me to load up on the Deer Park waters.

If I had been having jams I would have long ago looked into a different option.  Most of my machines are USI so maybe they just do better with that bottle than some others?!?

Since we are on this subject I have a Dixie 501E that I have been trying to vend water from, wide column. I experimented with the 16.9 Poland spring only because Dixie has a kit so to speak for it. It requires adding one flat shim on either side of the shims in place already to accept cans. In addition there is a small metal piece oscillator bottle stop that you put underneath and hold in place with a screw. So I set everything in place and it was working well..but like AZVendor said those stupid bottles squish as they get cold and walla jam. So fine I cleared that crap out, put the 16 oz. Poland spring vendible bottles from Vistar and left all plastic shims in place but too the oscillator bottle stop out (its doing the same thing with or without it. I set the spacing to 13 and cam setting to 1. The bottles are vending 0-2-0-2. I tried adjusting the cam. I got fed up and left it empty. Does anyone have a video or diagram on how to do this properly? My plastic cam wont line up the rest of the unit now I tried advancing it to no avail.  Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks. I plan on doing this setup in my Dixie 276E so if anyone has set that up let me know on what my settings should be.

thanks in advance!

Your wide column needs 4 of the 3/32" thick shims on each side of the column.  These can be bottle or can shims as long as they are that thickness.  Your motor cam on 1 should leave 4 notches open around the timing cam, but you need the red and grey cams on the motor.  I don't know what you mean by "oscillator bottle stop" so I don't know what you're referring to there.  Your depth is correct at 13.

They have the 3/32 flat shims on both sides 4 each side. In addition I left the extra 3/32 short flat shim 1 each side thinking it might help. I'll attach some pics of the vend test database sheet straight from Dixie narco. I'm pretty bad with this adjusting timing. It has the proper color cams I just can't get the red disc to sit flat against cam.b2409beb8a5f459bc31b062ac221acb3.jpgd33a7bbd4fc432f19d7a56fb519894d4.jpgb7a893d8ea76bafd497e0d35395c9281.jpg

Ohh and I took the paddle extension out when I put the 16 oz bottles in

Take out the extra shims because they won't help. Your red cam has to fit flush against the grey cam so if it doesn't then you have it installed wrong making it sit on top of the nub that should be in the #1 hole, or you have a warped cam. The motor switch is probably missing every other notch due to the warp.

Yes, the extensions aren't needed. They were for the long neck Dr Pepper bottles mostly or for when a package setup called for it.

I had similar problems with gatorade and arrowhead 20 ounce. in a merlin 4  I duct taped cardboard to the sides  narrowing the column.  Got less product in but it seemed to work. If this is a bad idea please let me know

You should have teflon coated sheets stuck to the angled side of each funnel that helps the products slide down to the rotor without jamming.  This prevents the bottles from "bridging" or getting stuck side by side and then not sliding down.  If you are missing the sheets then someone has removed them.  The tend to peel after a few years so they might have been taken out.  Email me at rbepic4gatgmaildotcom if you need to replace any of them.

I agree with Southeast.  Dejau water from 7-Up is a good bottle and the price is right.  You can get some free equipment fairly easy from 7-Up and fill out your monthly min. order with just water.  

Take out the extra shims because they won't help. Your red cam has to fit flush against the grey cam so if it doesn't then you have it installed wrong making it sit on top of the nub that should be in the #1 hole, or you have a warped cam. The motor switch is probably missing every other notch due to the warp.

Yes, the extensions aren't needed. They were for the long neck Dr Pepper bottles mostly or for when a package setup called for it.

I was adjusting the cam properly but for some reason it will not sit flush against the notch now.. I need a visual or you tube tutorial to figure this out.. My friends vendo v264 has the same 0-2-0 pattern but at least my motor turns his motor is only doing 1/4 turns .. I'll have to take a video of what his machines are doing and mine if I can't figure it out.. I'm making a stop at the 501e early afternoon then the vendo in the evening.. The Mars Dba is flashing twice I tried everything can't figure out the issue brought the Dba and coin mech back to united changers( UC) twice and they said it's a machine issue not Dba and coin mech.. So a tech is coming out this afternoon to diagnose.. I'm not paying for it but it sucks that I couldn't just plug and play and be over with it.. The coin mech on the snack machine coinco quantum that had the payout issue is now showing exact change only tubes are full I brought that back to UC and they said it's fine. I feel bad for my friend when it rains it pours..

You need to slide the inside axle hole of the red cam under the bottom tab (in your photo) of the grey cam.  Yours is under the long arm you press to disengage the red cam but not under the tab on the other side.

You need to slide the inside axle hole of the red cam under the bottom tab (in your photo) of the grey cam. Yours is under the long arm you press to disengage the red cam but not under the tab on the other side.

Thanks AZ. Well my friends vendo is working well now. Apparently one of the wires connected to the motor that I was having issue with was loose. He somehow got both motors to work in the machine (old and new) and the double vend issue is resolved. Snack machine exact change message message was cleared with a few vends. Payout needed to reset itself after reinstall..

Hopefully I'm able to use your advice and get water in my Dixie 501b.. Crossing my fingers

Archived