New 50 cent coin mech jamming

CJvend

I just purchased 2 50 cent coin mechs from A&A for the PN95 machines/PM elites. I placed them out on a location vending 1" acorn capsules and the next day the owner gave me a call saying they were both jammed. I went and took a look this morning and found they both had the same issue. The coin wheel was stuck halfway around and would not complete the revolution. It appears the little spring loaded screw looking thing was causing the interference, I fixed it and did some tests and still kept getting the same problem. Here are some pictures...

b67f269eda1626121a3b9fbce73ef0e4.jpg

d82fa56bd9a0295acb703e1d9177576e.jpg

So what I did was pull the back part off of 2 A&A 25 cent mechs (everything except coin wheel, pawls and the face plate) and put them on the 50 cent one. Did a bunch of test vends and seems to be working fine.

1. Does anyone know what causes this issue? Could it be 2 bad mechs?

2. My 1" capsule wheels are still misvending like crazy. I have everything lined up perfect and I even had the sales rep from AA email me a picture of how the wheel should look when setup properly. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The NW mechs are twice the price but I think I will order some. I can't take chances on this account. Its my first commission account at 2 very busy laundromats. there was $4 in each 1" machine after 1 day, and thats with both mechs being jammed. 

Same thing can be said about the AA capsule wheels, these things have been a nightmare.

I don't use a riser when vending 1.1'' caps right?

A couple years back A&A's conversion kit had similar issues, constantly jamming.  But eventually they got it worked out.  Its been a year or more since i ordered .50 mechs but then they were all ok.  If im having issues with a mech i normally take the face plate off and rotate the coin wheel with quarters in it to find where its jamming. With the face plate off you can also set the coin wheel down in it and make sure it rotates freely. Also on new or old mechs if its not a smooth action ill take apart mech and smooth all the surfaces with some 400 grit sandpaper, clean, re-lube and reassemble.

A couple years back A&A's conversion kit had similar issues, constantly jamming. But eventually they got it worked out. Its been a year or more since i ordered .50 mechs but then they were all ok. If im having issues with a mech i normally take the face plate off and rotate the coin wheel with quarters in it to find where its jamming. With the face plate off you can also set the coin wheel down in it and make sure it rotates freely. Also on new or old mechs if its not a smooth action ill take apart mech and smooth all the surfaces with some 400 grit sandpaper, clean, re-lube and reassemble.

The action is smooth when it works, just sometimes it completely Jams. Shouldn't have to be trouble shooting a brand new mech. First mech issue I've ever had and also first brand new mechs I've had go figure. Two mechs both jamming in the same way on their first day of service is no good.

• 2 weeks later...

In the bottom left corner is a coil spring that holds down the full stroke pin.  Slide the spring to the side and pull out the pin.  A pin that has a burr or any imperfection will lock the wheel up around the half way point.  Typically you can take a fine grit sand paper and fix it in seconds.  These new pins don't have the same angle as the originals and are also shorter.  Pop in the pin from your quarter mech and it will fix these.

They sent me replacements for free. Wondering if I should inspect them before putting out on route. I remember thinking the pin was not filed on an angle at all when I was comparing to another mech trying to figure it out.

Finally a post on A&A mechs. I couldn't believe it took this long. I didn't want to be the one to start the post, but now that someone else has, I will add to it. I have had over half............ that's right, over half of the one inch A&A mechs that I bought in the last 9 months or so FAIL !!!  BOTH .25 & .50 mechs. In the process of replacing them all  with NW mechs  then returning all of them for credit .  I am not happy about this......I bust my hump locating, take pride in what I do and pay for new equipment only to have to chase problems with these mechs plus look like a fool to the new locations.  If I buy NEW equipment or parts I sure don't want to be repairing it or getting service calls.  

Finally a post on A&A mechs. I couldn't believe it took this long. I didn't want to be the one to start the post, but now that someone else has, I will add to it. I have had over half............ that's right, over half of the one inch A&A mechs that I bought in the last 9 months or so FAIL !!! BOTH .25 & .50 mechs. In the process of replacing them all with NW mechs then returning all of them for credit . I am not happy about this......I bust my hump locating, take pride in what I do and pay for new equipment only to have to chase problems with these mechs plus look like a fool to the new locations. If I buy NEW equipment or parts I sure don't want to be repairing it or getting service calls.

Exactly. People are chiming in with repair advice, which is great and helpful. But why should we even have to think about fixing a brand new mech.

I ordered a bunch of Northwesterns myself as well.

Spoke with Derek from A&A he didn't specify what the problem was, he just said that there was a run they had a problem with but that the new ones they sent me should be fine.

I've had a bunch of the Northwestern side by side mechs on location since they first came out, had the first one come back a week or so ago. They are more reliable than even Northwestern's back to back mechs, although some of that is due to the age of my Northwestern back to back mechs.

What did they tell you was the problem with the mechs

My sales rep initially acted surprised like she didn't know there were issues. They didn't elaborate other than to blame the supplier in china ......

I had a different kind of jam today, quarters were sitting on top of the chute cover and preventing the mech from completing a revolution. Does this ever happen?

I'm having growing pains(being a newbie) at the expense of a $600/mo account :(

I had that problem in one of my machines. Drilled a hole in the gear that turns the candy wheel, inserted a machine screw, and bolted a spring to it. (Hardware store has springs with eyelets on either side.)

Every time the handle is turned, the spring sweeps coins off the chute cover.

Archived