How Are Your Mint/Candy Boxes Doing?

verdigirl

Hi Everyone,

There haven't been many postings in the honor box section lately, and I always like to see how people are doing with their mint/candy honor boxes.  If everyone who has them could say how many boxes they have and how they've been going (theft, kick-outs, profits, etc...) I'd appreciate the updates (as others I'm sure would as well).  Anybody running into any recent problems?  How is locating them going?  How many do you have located?

Also, I see Sheridan is now selling lollipops (sugar-free chocolate mint and original gourmet).  Has anyone tried these in their boxes yet? 

Thanks for your updates!    Verdigirl

I know this was posted a week ago, but I will share. I received my first 50 boxes mid-February- so I have been at it only about 2 months. As of today, I have 40 placed (started with 20 first day, then adding and subtracting a few each week). I did it on my own, walking in and asking. No offense to the professional locators out there, but it would be a waste to pay someone to place these boxes (vending machines or harder items may be worth a locator). They are the cardboard honor mint boxes from Sheridan. I did not get acrylic because I think it is not worth the extra cost.  

The best places for me have been bars, bowling alleys, hotels, and non-chain restaurants (Mexican and Chinese). I am getting about $200 per week out of the boxes (yesterday's pull was $223.01). Reached profit at the 4 week mark. Best locations do $20 per week. Worst locations do $2 per week (they are okay since they are in strip malls with other boxes so it is quick and easy). Have not tried banks, but think I will this week. Also, I have not had luck with auto shops- not sure what I am doing wrong on these but would love advice if anyone has any :)

I do this route in 2-3 hours on Saturdays, with the exception of 3 very high volume boxes I do 2x per week. Many of these I could leave for 2 weeks, but I like to go swap them out. While out swapping boxes I will hit businesses to place new ones (This week I was kicked out of 2, took 1 out due to low performance, and placed 7).

I am placing an order for an additional 100 boxes through Sheridan this week. I think a person could easily handle a route of 100-150 on 1 day a week (or 2 at the most) if not in a very rural area. 

I have been kicked out of at least 10 spots (I re-located). Most due to one person saying yes, then a boss coming in and saying no and pick up.

I have pulled several locations as well due to low performance/theft.

In total- 1 box stolen, 1 box had a beer spilled all over it and destroyed, 1 box was written all over in marker (so I am down 3).

The biggest issue I can see is the "constant" moving and relocating boxes. It is not like a machine you leave in. The good news is they are very easy to place, but still a hassle with constant turnover. 

My opinion only- This seems like a nice supplemental income, but not sure if it would be sustainable for a full-time career without adding other income sources (vending machines, honor boxes, ATM machines, etc). I read a thread about a guy saying you burn a bunch of territory doing this, which seems to be correct at first glance, although he was trashed pretty hard from the established community. I am keeping track of businesses that have asked me to pull the boxes and dates in hopes of re-placing down the road. Would like advice on this as well from anyone who knows and appropriate time to wait until trying again (on kick outs and rejections).

A few random thoughts on this:

- I am not doing this for the money (which I realize is strange). I wanted to try something new and it has turned out to be fun talking with people and placing the boxes.

- I have purchased a large water cooler bottle and have thrown change in it. Literally hundreds of dollars in change that will need dealt with at some point. I have at least put the dollar bills in $50 sleeves but have yet to take them to a bank. Will the bank have to unwrap and count all of these??

- I have decided to donate an additional 10%  to my daughter's school. They do a program where they send food home with low income students to eat over the weekend, which I am supporting.

-If you purchase through Sheridan, be advised they charge a high shipping fee of at least $30 per 50 boxes, and they charge your 1st month fee right away ($.50 per box per month) without telling you they are doing it. 

I know this was posted a week ago, but I will share. I received my first 50 boxes mid-February- so I have been at it only about 2 months. As of today, I have 40 placed (started with 20 first day, then adding and subtracting a few each week). I did it on my own, walking in and asking. No offense to the professional locators out there, but it would be a waste to pay someone to place these boxes (vending machines or harder items may be worth a locator). They are the cardboard honor mint boxes from Sheridan. I did not get acrylic because I think it is not worth the extra cost.  

The best places for me have been bars, bowling alleys, hotels, and non-chain restaurants (Mexican and Chinese). I am getting about $200 per week out of the boxes (yesterday's pull was $223.01). Reached profit at the 4 week mark. Best locations do $20 per week. Worst locations do $2 per week (they are okay since they are in strip malls with other boxes so it is quick and easy). Have not tried banks, but think I will this week. Also, I have not had luck with auto shops- not sure what I am doing wrong on these but would love advice if anyone has any :)

I do this route in 2-3 hours on Saturdays, with the exception of 3 very high volume boxes I do 2x per week. Many of these I could leave for 2 weeks, but I like to go swap them out. While out swapping boxes I will hit businesses to place new ones (This week I was kicked out of 2, took 1 out due to low performance, and placed 7).

I am placing an order for an additional 100 boxes through Sheridan this week. I think a person could easily handle a route of 100-150 on 1 day a week (or 2 at the most) if not in a very rural area. 

I have been kicked out of at least 10 spots (I re-located). Most due to one person saying yes, then a boss coming in and saying no and pick up.

In total- 1 box stolen, 1 box had a beer spilled all over it and destroyed, 1 box was written all over in marker (so I am down 3).

The biggest issue I can see is the "constant" moving and relocating boxes. It is not like a machine you leave in. The good news is they are very easy to place, but still a hassle with constant turnover. 

My opinion only- This seems like a nice supplemental income, but not sure if it would be sustainable for a full-time career without adding other income sources (vending machines, honor boxes, ATM machines, etc). I read a thread about a guy saying you burn a bunch of territory doing this, which seems to be correct at first glance, although he was trashed pretty hard from the established community. I am keeping track of businesses that have asked me to pull the boxes and dates in hopes of re-placing down the road. Would like advice on this as well from anyone who knows and appropriate time to wait until trying again (on kick outs and rejections).

- I am not doing this for the money (which I realize is strange). I wanted to try something new and it has turned out to be fun talking with people and placing the boxes.

- I have purchased a large water cooler bottle and have thrown change in it. Literally hundreds of dollars in change that will need dealt with at some point. I have at least put the dollar bills in $50 sleeves but have yet to take them to a bank. Will the bank have to unwrap and count all of these??

- I have decided to donate an additional 10%  to my daughter's school. They do a program where they send food home with low income students to eat over the weekend, which I am supporting.

-If you purchase through Sheridan, be advised they charge a high shipping fee of at least $30 per 50 boxes, and they charge your 1st month fee right away ($.50 per box per month) without telling you they are doing it. 

Hi Newby2vending,

Thank you for your reply!  It seems like you are doing well so far, and it is common to have turn over with honor box locations.  It's also great to hear that you have had such great success with locating on your own.  Questions - have you tried any hair or nails salons? What types of hotels - do chains in your area allow them, because I've not had luck placing mine in hotels in my area.   I find bars not to do so well.  What types of candy are you using and what are you charging?

I'm surprised there were no other replies to this post, and it seems that the Honor Box Forum has slowed to a crawl lately, which makes me think either folks aren't doing so well, or they are doing so well they don't have time to post?  I know there are some out there who do quite well with honor mint boxes and have heard of some who so it full time.  It always helps though when others give advice and updates on their routes.

Thank You for your post!    Verdigirl

• 2 weeks later...

I currently have 640 locations,  I started with 50 a little over a yr ago for my fiancee, to give her a little bit of income and to donate for breast cancer.  Since then I have joined her and work 24 hrs a weeks on average doing this.  money is good I also donate everything over $5 bills. Downside of course you lose locations and are easy to replace but will that be the case 5 yrs from now?:huh: i dont know.  and it is also hard to take when people/customers call what I/we do a fraud.  I spend $1100 a week on candy in my own vehicle, and have plenty of theft.  On average with the royaltie fee's and what i personaly donate it is over 600 a month.  regardless what I make which isnt insane there arent many people doing there regular jobs donating this amount am I correct? so when people tell me I am a fraud making money doing this I am not really sure what to say, except this is a business with expenses and helping a good cause which I am proud of

Hi Honorbox99,

Thank you for that info.  Did you locate all of your boxes yourself or did you use a locator for any?  What types of candy do you sell?  And what types of locations are you using?  I'm sorry to hear about the problems you are having with people's perception of this.  If you are using the pink ribbon boxes, it does state that a portion of the proceeds go to the cause, but people automatically think all of it should and give no thought to the costs to the person who is actually doing all of the work.  Your donation to the charity is large, and as you say, many do not make donations of this amount at any time.  You are also "selling" a product, not giving it away.  And you have to deal with theft.  I have encountered all of the things you have, but there are others on the forum who have explained the business as you have, and that it is is a business, but one where we also benefit a charity.  It seems bulk vendors don't run into this feeling as much, even though there machines run pretty much the same way, unless they are doing racks which usually garner a commission.  Thanks, Vertdigirl

I find it easier to locate myself. I did use a locator which made it nice to get into a general area but found the locator to only be about 50% for a variety of reasons. I sell Blowpops Tootsies mars chocolate hersheys chocolate caramel cremes, and in the summer I will have a bunch with jolly ranchers. having over 600 locations i dont think there is a type of business I dont have a location, but my best are auto shops, smoke shops, and japanese steakhouse/sushi which I forgot to mention I put york patties in.

Are you doing the 50 cents or 3/$1.00 pricing?  I was going to try jolly ranchers, but thought that was too much to charge for them.  How much luck do you have when locating?  In other words, how many "no's" to "yes's"?

What do you mean you only found the locator to be 50%?

Locator was only about 50% successful.  I am about 70% personal interaction I think is Key.  I have both the 50 cents and 3/100 stickers on.  and I am sorry for the jolly ranchers I do the 5/100 pricing.  I do have locations to that I have placed the box and days later have had to take out because the owner/corporate came in and couldn't do it.  Take out corporate accounts.... Hotels, Applebees, Supercuts Midas etc.. and I am prob 80-85% successful in locating.  Local owners car shops diners hair salons I rarely get a no

Hey guys/ gals. This is my first post here but have been creeping the sight for about 6 weeks. This place is chock full of great advice. I really appreciate all the work done before me and the willingness to share.

Little bit about me. I Ana flooring contractor that is looking ahead and knowing that I will not be able to do it forever or even another 20 years. I started looking into vending and then stumbled into the mint/ honor boxes idea. I bought 48 acrylics from Sheridan and purchased about ten used triples locally. I cleaned up the triples and hired a locator that I found on here to locate 5 of the triples. I will share my opinion on the locator when they get moving on the locating. It's been a little over a week so I hope to get them placed this week. I hired Sheridan to place 40 of the acrylics, even though I felt like I could handle it on my own I really don't have the time. Quick note, I did place 8 today in about 1.5 hours. In the future I might do that more but time off is precious and I really just want to get these guys out and making money. I ordered 20 more boxes today. I will keep you guys in the loop. I truly could not have done this without you guys. Thank you.

• 3 months later...

Got 20 locations emailed to me by Sheridan today. That was fast. I'm gonna get them out tomorrow and Thursday.

Hey floorguy, how are the honor boxes going for you so far? I'm thinking of going the pay to place route as well with the acrylic honor boxes. How is the return on investment so far after three months? Hope all is going well! Sorry to jack your thread a bit, verdigirl!

• 2 months later...

I've been doing the mint boxes for a little over 2 years now. Just my 2 cents worth.... The plastic seem to make more money than the cardboard, that could be because I have the plastic at my better locations. I do know the dollars that come from the plastic ones aren't nearly as waded up, a lot easier to count. I have about 65 plastic and about 150 cardboard. The plastic ones get expensive real fast, that's why I tried some cardboard. I average about $10.00 profit on each box after everything is all said and done. I have a guy interested in buying my mint box route but I can't decide if I want to sell or not. I also have about 60 drink and snack machines out. Can't decide which way I want to go. Drinks are slowing down now because of the weather so I'm thinking about building the mint route over the winter.

As far as Sheridan locations. They are cheap at $12.00 per location but you never know what you are going to get. The last batch of 10 I bought, 3 got kicked the first week. Four were hair salons, bad locations making $3.00 to $5.00 a month and one kicked after about 3 weeks. They don't replace locations so I paid $120.00 for 2 fair locations. Taking to the guy that's interested in my route, he had boxes at 2 of the last group I bought, he bought from Sheridan. So they sold him the locations and then sold them to me also, double selling locations. I placed plastic and they had him pick his up because the plastic looked so much nicer than the cardboard. I shouldn't say Sheridan because they use Travis to do their locating, think he contracts through them. I hope that was just a one time mistake. 

Anyway I'm using a girl I trained locally to do my locating for me in person. SO far she is doing a great job.

1 hour ago, Lake Cities Vending said:

I've been doing the mint boxes for a little over 2 years now. Just my 2 cents worth.... The plastic seem to make more money than the cardboard, that could be because I have the plastic at my better locations. I do know the dollars that come from the plastic ones aren't nearly as waded up, a lot easier to count. I have about 65 plastic and about 150 cardboard. The plastic ones get expensive real fast, that's why I tried some cardboard. I average about $10.00 profit on each box after everything is all said and done. I have a guy interested in buying my mint box route but I can't decide if I want to sell or not. I also have about 60 drink and snack machines out. Can't decide which way I want to go. Drinks are slowing down now because of the weather so I'm thinking about building the mint route over the winter.

As far as Sheridan locations. They are cheap at $12.00 per location but you never know what you are going to get. The last batch of 10 I bought, 3 got kicked the first week. Four were hair salons, bad locations making $3.00 to $5.00 a month and one kicked after about 3 weeks. They don't replace locations so I paid $120.00 for 2 fair locations. Taking to the guy that's interested in my route, he had boxes at 2 of the last group I bought, he bought from Sheridan. So they sold him the locations and then sold them to me also, double selling locations. I placed plastic and they had him pick his up because the plastic looked so much nicer than the cardboard. I shouldn't say Sheridan because they use Travis to do their locating, think he contracts through them. I hope that was just a one time mistake. 

Anyway I'm using a girl I trained locally to do my locating for me in person. SO far she is doing a great job.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you find the girl that does your locating, and how much do you pay her?  Is there any kind of contract for replacements?  I've tried placing ads on craigslist with no real luck.  Thanks.

She was helping me run the boxes and showed an interest. I pay her $15.00 a location and she delivers. This way I have a little more control.

I use a helper when running boxes, I pay her $10.00 an hour. Using a helper I don't have to park and lock van. I pull up, she jumps out. Replaces box. While she is in location I pull card and have next location pulled up on GPS. I have found out I can run many more locations this way. I don't even park, just pull up to door and we are gone in seconds.

Archived