ap7600 won't vend certain priced items?

Hi everyone.

Everything was going fairly smoothly until my two current problems.

My AP7600 has failed the motor test on a few motors.  Fine, I ordered refurbished motors and had time to install one yesterday.  I unplugged the machine, installed the motor, plugged it back in and ran the motor test again.  The new motor showed as failed.  I tried to vend from that position and of course it said make another selection.  I didn't think about it but will try today to swap a known good motor to that spot but was wondering if there was another procedure I needed to do.  I didn't see anything in the manual.

Secondly, the machine will vend and give change just fine on the working motors EXCEPT anything priced at $0.50.  When you insert money and select a 50 cent item it says make another selection.  We checked the price and it shows set at 50 cents.  The common theme is the price but I don't know the fix and ran out of time.

Any ideas on these issues?  Thanks in advance.

A couple of things: there are no "refurbished motors" so if you bought used motors then that could be the problem; make sure you put the wires on the motor correctly. I think AP made it easy to not mix them up but check it anyway; lastly, make sure that your coin mech can pay out quarters.  It may try to pay change on the .50 vend but can't.

One other motor possibility - you might have not had a bad motor at all but rather a bad connection behind the shelf.  If a connector pin is pushed into the shelf connector or a slot in the cabinet connector is damaged then that selection won't work anyway.  In that case you must move the offending wires in the two connectors and reassign the selection number to that motor.

Thanks. Yes, used motors is more correct but 'guaranteed' good and yes there is no easy way to mix up the wires. As far as vending the quarters, when you make a .75 selection it will give back a quarter so I don't think that is it.

I didn't pull the shelf when replacing the motor so I will get back up there to pull the shelf and check the wires. Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Since you say "motor test" it must have an after market board. Not knowing which one (VE or In-One), I would say to swap the tray with the one above or below that one and press the door switch so the board can scan for motors. Still holding the switch, or with the door closed, try the selections on both trays. If the problem moves with the tray, the problem is on that tray. If the problem is in the same spot, then the problem is from the cabinet back harness to the control board or the control board.

Also, depending on whose board this is you may need to run a motor config routine.

Let me clarify motor test. (My wife does the programming so I can't tell you what button she pushes right now) She pushes a button on the board then pushes one of the lower selection buttons. The display will cycle through non functional motors on the display such as A5. The motors themselves don't turn. In looking at the manual the board matches what they describe so I'm not sure it is aftermarket.

Sounds like a VE Revision board. I would still close the door first. If problem is still there, do the tray swap, making sure to close door, wait, then open & test.

Will do. Thanks! Will update as soon as I can get back up there does anyone have any other ideas on the $0.50 vend problem

Will do. Thanks! Will update as soon as I can get back up there does anyone have any other ideas on the $0.50 vend problem

The machine knows your prices are too low and is trying to tell you to raise them up!

You are probably right about the prices. For the motor the easiest to get to that showed 'bad' was A5 which is top right. I could pull out the shelf and reach over the top to unclip then swing the motor and wires over the rear of the shelf

Alright, I pulled the entire upper tray out, swapped A5 ('new' motor) with A1 (known good).  I shut the door and plugged the machine back in.  I inserted money and tried to vend from A5 and it again said make another selection.  I then tried to vend from A1 and it told me to make another selection.  That means A5 isn't working with a known good motor and A1 isn't working with a 'new' motor.  We swapped the known good motor back to A1 and the 'new' back to A5 and now neither A1 or A5 will work.  The motors didn't attempt to move and now a working spot isn't working.

Does that ring a bell with anyone?

You need to inspect all of your shelf rollers and make sure they are in good condition with none missing and all roller nuts tight.  Then remove the shelf and check the rear pins for any that are shorter than the others.  Then use a flashlight and look into the rear shelf connector and make sure that there are two shiny spots in every slot of that connector.  If any slot is missing one or both shiny spots then that slot is damaged.  If any of the pins on the back of the shelf are pushed in much further than the other pins then that pin is damaged.  Any one damaged pin or slot will cause an open circuit to any selection connected with those wires.

One other thing, after you put your shelf back in hold in the door interlock switch so the machine can scan all motors.  You'll hear a slight ticking noise move down through the shelves as the check progresses.  When the ticking is done then try those selections again.  Maybe the machine just needs to re-scan those motors.

Thanks. Yes, used motors is more correct but 'guaranteed' good and yes there is no easy way to mix up the wires. As far as vending the quarters, when you make a .75 selection it will give back a quarter so I don't think that is it.

I didn't pull the shelf when replacing the motor so I will get back up there to pull the shelf and check the wires. Thanks

It's  highly unlikely that you'd have several AP7600 motors all of a sudden go bad - those things have the half life of uranium.  Your problem may be in the harness, shelf connector or hopefully just bad rollers which are the easiest and cheapest to fix.  If the rollers flatten out your shelf cannot make the proper connection.  There is only one way to do a motor test with the original AP7600 board which will run each item in order when you hit the test button.  If your display is constantly active, then you have an aftermarket board which could also be your problem especially in light of the fact that you can't vend at 50 cents (no other logical reason for this).

Thanks folks I will try to make it up there in the morning but have to go to out of town over the weekend I will definitely let you know something by Monday. Is there any way to test the connection or the signal coming from the board with a voltmeter possibly?

I agree with AZ, I feel the machine needs to re-scan the motors. In my older AP machine, after swapping out a bad motor i took it out of operate mode and than placed it back in so it could do a motor check and it solved my issue.

• 3 weeks later...

thanks everyone, didn't mean to leave for this long but life got in the way.

i swapped the shelves and the 'lack of motor function' did not follow the shelf so it has to be a wiring issue, or that is my next step.

i have no idea about the .50$ vend issue.  after resetting it again and again it seems to be working normally now (aside from the motor issue).

Archived