Language Barrier

BaneTrain

Do you guys have a lot of places where you have a language barrier?I have a nail salon where there is somewhat of language barrier but not as bad as this Chinese restaurant. She ended up finally understanding what I was asking and said yes to a double with gumballs and toys after I showed her a picture. Never mentioned a commission but I don't want to walk in and they suddenly ask for money or for some reason think the machine is now there's. She did say something to the effect of no cost and I said no, it's no cost to you. We shall see but it's one of those I left feeling a little confused if you know what I mean. 

Do you guys have a lot of places where you have a language barrier?I have a nail salon where there is somewhat of language barrier but not as bad as this Chinese restaurant. She ended up finally understanding what I was asking and said yes to a double with gumballs and toys after I showed her a picture. Never mentioned a commission but I don't want to walk in and they suddenly ask for money or for some reason think the machine is now there's. She did say something to the effect of no cost and I said no, it's no cost to you. We shall see but it's one of those I left feeling a little confused if you know what I mean. 

I'm in a very diverse place in the country. Spanish is very common. Luckily I can speak rusty Spanish from being spoken to in Spanish as a little kid and taking Spanish classes as a little kid - it just sounds very gringoish. So far, however, I haven't had any problems with language barrier. 

Hey BaneTrain, I haven't run into this in Cleveland as its not the most diverse place in the world. But I did work with a lot of oriental/Indian cultures in other parts of the country and a couple stand outs about those cultures is they love/need to negotiate, and they will almost always ask for a cut. If the machines do well and they want a cut, start very low, raise very slowly and make it look painful when you do. If they say it's to low and tell you to take it out, just raise a lil more and make it look like it hurts. In the end they'll love you and your service, smile a lot when not negotiating. Hope this helps.

One more idea to build the relationship, whenever I worked with people of different cultures I always learned a greeting phrase or two in their language. People love when you make an attempt to reach out to them. Any Chinese or Taiwanese I always used "knee how ma" that's how it sounds not spelled. It's "how are you?" In Mandrin(?) but pretty well understood in those countries no matter the dialect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in a very diverse place in the country. Spanish is very common. Luckily I can speak rusty Spanish from being spoken to in Spanish as a little kid and taking Spanish classes as a little kid - it just sounds very gringoish. So far, however, I haven't had any problems with language barrier. 

I would do better with Spanish than Mandarin. Ohh well, we will see how it goes, 

Hey BaneTrain, I haven't run into this in Cleveland as its not the most diverse place in the world. But I did work with a lot of oriental/Indian cultures in other parts of the country and a couple stand outs about those cultures is they love/need to negotiate, and they will almost always ask for a cut. If the machines do well and they want a cut, start very low, raise very slowly and make it look painful when you do. If they say it's to low and tell you to take it out, just raise a lil more and make it look like it hurts. In the end they'll love you and your service, smile a lot when not negotiating. Hope this helps.

One more idea to build the relationship, whenever I worked with people of different cultures I always learned a greeting phrase or two in their language. People love when you make an attempt to reach out to them. Any Chinese or Taiwanese I always used "knee how ma" that's how it sounds not spelled. It's "how are you?" In Mandrin(?) but pretty well understood in those countries no matter the dialect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice! Like I said she didn't mention money but I am sure, she'd appreciate it and would be reason not to boot me. It's a smaller Chinese Restaurant but I hope it does well. I will do gumballs and a 50 cent toy. Smiling is not a problem I smile a lot, I can't help it lol.

In my experience if you hand a nail shop 10 bucks when you service they are happy. Don't mention % just hand them some cash

This will be my first Chinese Restaurant so we will see. I don't mind the nail shop now, the lady is always nice and can speak English but also speaks her own language.I went there Wednesday and she kept telling me how cute I look in my polo shirt lol.  ;D  :rolleyes: I doubt I would just hand them $10, don't know how well it'd do until I collect but I will probably give them something or get take out haha.

Archived