Racks outside?

Determined

I've read lately on here that some leave racks outside. How's it working for you? Anyone make it a common practice? This idea has intrigued me as it would open up a ton more locations that don't have the floor space for them. I'm here in Tn so I don't have to worry to much about winter weather. A lot of places have overhangs/porches here. I've been thinking these places might be okay if you chained your machines down. At first I thought it was an awful idea but soda machines, red boxes, newspaper boxes, ice coolers, etc. are all left outside open to vandalism/theft. I imagine there would be more up keep but I think it could work. Of course I wouldn't be selling candy only toys. So what have your experiences been with this? What are your opinions? Thanks Kasey

If you come to NY all you see is machines placed outside, I say do it just don't vend candy or gumballs

Have you personally had any outside? If so what has been your experience? I do think I'm going to go for it.

If you come to NY all you see is machines placed outside, I say do it just don't vend candy or gumballs

I can't say that I'm an expert on NYC but I've spent considerable time there - especially in Manhattan because of relatives that live there. How do you deal with rust and bugs which are probably more common outside? Also, what I've never understood - how is it possible to place on a sidewalk if it is public right of way?

The biggest problem with machines being placed outside is the rust, and as long as the machines are up against the store front you should be fine that will be sufficient space for the pedestrian to walk by

• 6 months later...

I have done it in the past, as long as there was a good overhang. Weather is hard on the machines so plan on refurbing every couple of years. Sales are great on outside machines. Never had any vandalism problems really. I had L brackets on my stands (stands were welded together) and anchored to the sidewalk.

When you have racks outside, do the location owners bring them in at night? I have a few bouncy ball machines with this arrangement. It seems to work well, as it doesn't take up valuable floor space and can help attract customers to their location. 

Archived