Lost location wants me back for 2 months....advice?

RikaKazak

So one of my nerf battle arenas kicked me out because they wanted more machines from me and it wasn't my specialty/worth it to do it.  Specifically I shared the account with another vendor, I did key master, balloon buster, candy, soda, stickers, toys, gumballs, etc. etc.  He did pool tables, arcade, candy crane, plush crane, darts, etc.

We got along great, and even share another location (have for 3 years now).

Well he got kicked out because of slow payments (he pays twice a year, and only does collections every other month...lets just say his cranes are "harder to win then how most people run them") and he most likely skims way too much (he splits 50/50 after costs just like me, but lets just say I know ball park what a crane should do if a keymaster does "x"...and he was probably paying 25%ish after costs...but I NEVER said anything like that to the location owner, I think he sort of felt that was happening on his own).

Well the location wanted me to do pool/arcades etc.  And I passed (just me, I have a home made small trailer so doing things like pool tables and arcade just doesn't interest me).

Well I lost the account to a national company that made him sign a contract and be exclusive...oh well I guess, I was told I had 30 days to remove my machines, so I did.

Well the national companies locator way over promised.  Said she could fill the place in a week, 2 tops, and it turns out they don't even have machines yet.  They're "looking at" moving machines in mid September.  

Sooooo.....the location owner promised me I'd be exclusive "until at least September"....because right now his place looks BAD!  I mean he's running a nerf/laser tag place with no vending at all.  No arcade, no candy, no toys, nothing.

The machines are sitting in my garage, I live about 12 miles from the place.  I have a home made trailer, and am a 1 man operation.  It's open topped, so my machines do take some abuse when moving them.

Would you guys just pass?  (not worth the headache)....try to weasel the other vendor out?  Conditionally move in (like no commission?) 

Curious if anyone has experienced this before and what you guys would do if you were me.  

I have no experience here but why don't you approach the owner and ask for him to void his contract and just use you with no other equipment that you don't want to provide.  He already knows how good and honest you are and he now knows how he'll be treated by a national company.  If you do this on a temporary basis then don't pay him anything until you've made enough to cover your expense of moving 3 times.

It kind of sounds like you're in the drivers seat on this one.  Make it work for you.

I wouldn't waste my time going back and start looking for more locations. This guy is all about himself and shows he will at the drop of a hat kick you out no matter how good your taking care of the location. He will see how good he had it once that national vendor takes over and gets crappy service. That's my two cents.

Sounds like the other vendor broke the contract. Approach the location and just be honest with them, you never cheated them, you never promised what you couldn't deliver, and tell them up front that you have "this" equipment you can put in. Tell them there is a diminishing return on too much equipment and wastes your time and their space, If there is something they really want and it looks like you could make money on it tell them you will get it IF they give YOU the contract for 5 years.

Thanks for the input guys, lots of good advice.

I told the guy 2 months wasn't worth it for me so I'll just pass, he came back with, "how about you get the rest of this year?"  I said I'll think about it.

(and I'm thinking, lol)

Part of me thinks, well....I'll make some money over the next 6 months.  And I'd for sure tell him the split would be 50/50 after costs (including a placement/removal fee of $200 or $300 or whatever).

But another part of me thinks, I've done high drama before, and it's never worth it.  (I'm a 5 or 6, and dated a girl in high school that was an 8...great for my image, but holy golpher I should of broke up with her way sooner then I did....the hotness wasn't worth the drama, LOL)

I would still try to sell them on a contract, your best argument is service. You are " just down the street", if the national company can't deliver equipment for a new account how long are you going to wait for service when something goes wrong!?

• 1 month later...

I would jump on it if you can get a 2 year contract for your equipment. Let the national company have the stuff you don't want. Tell the location you can start moving your equipment in tomorrow. It seems to me the national company already defaulted on their contract.

Thanks for the input guys, lots of good advice.

I told the guy 2 months wasn't worth it for me so I'll just pass, he came back with, "how about you get the rest of this year?"  I said I'll think about it.

(and I'm thinking, lol)

Part of me thinks, well....I'll make some money over the next 6 months.  And I'd for sure tell him the split would be 50/50 after costs (including a placement/removal fee of $200 or $300 or whatever).

But another part of me thinks, I've done high drama before, and it's never worth it.  (I'm a 5 or 6, and dated a girl in high school that was an 8...great for my image, but holy golpher I should of broke up with her way sooner then I did....the hotness wasn't worth the drama, LOL)

Update.

• 2 months later...

Update: National company still hasn't delivered their machines. Another new vending operator put in a foosball table, pool table, sit down driver, and some random arcade fighting game like street fighter but a knock off asian version. (I know all the big vending guys in the area, so this guy must be brand new to the business or new to the area or something)  

All the equipment is used/old/looks like trash. (Maybe he bought them used off Craigslist for cheap?) I stopped by and talked to the manager (not the owner). And he said they're still waiting on the national company and since they've waited this long they'll just "stick it out."

Not really much to update but felt people might be curious to hear how it's going. The place looks like a ghost town. 4 games in 800 sq ft is not a good look. (He moved where the games are now, used to be in a much larger area)

4 hours ago, musser said:

Do the machines really belong to the location ??

The tax sticker was a different name/address then the location BUT the sticker was all old/out of date. So I guess it's certainly possible the location bought them used off of Craigslist or something.  (I only looked at one sticker on one machine. When I was doing that the manager recognized me and approached)

Archived