Found a silver quarter

Bravo Duck

I found a solid 90% silver quarter recently. Usually it's not a big deal, I find several each month, but this one was different from every other silver quarter I have ever found.

It was a State quarter, Delaware to be precise. 1999 s mint mark. Before this I didn't know there were any solid silver state quarters.

I found a solid 90% silver quarter recently. Usually it's not a big deal, I find several each month, but this one was different from every other silver quarter I have ever found.

It was a State quarter, Delaware to be precise. 1999 s mint mark. Before this I didn't know there were any solid silver state quarters.

Yes I have a bunch of them. They are proof quarters. The S mints are silver. Sold in the proof sets.

If you look at the side, they are a solid silver color. If you look at a common quarter, you'll see the different metals.

Also, once you hear it drop you'll know. It makes a different sound than a normal quarter.

First by look, regular quarters look like chrome and silver quarters are a flat silver, then I looked at the edge, there was no copper lamination. I don't go through my quarters to find silver but I always keep my eyes on the lookout for them. If I find a silver quarter then I will check everything from that machine.

I looked it up and sure enough the mint produced silver state quarters. The definitive test is weighing, regular state quarters weigh 5.7 grams and silver state quarters weigh 6.2 grams. I bought a scale and my quarter weighed 6.44 grams.

I have a friend who had some special coins he left on a dresser. Well his kids were going to the store, and grabbed the coins thinking they were normal. Nice expensive shopping trip, and probably one of the ways these coins make it back into circulation.

Archived