Random Thoughts

Determined

How big of an issue are ants for you? Since I found ants in one of my machines I have been paranoid about the little buggers. I haven't been back yet to see if I have the problem fixed.

How many actually use a charity like NCCS? How much does it actually help to be affiliated with a charity. I'm assuming it helps quite a bit to get into these corporate break rooms. Anyone have a negative experience working with the NCCS?

Here's a wild idea. Anyone ever thought of selling advertisement space on there machines? Like on the sides or on bottom of racks? Seems like it could work and a way to generate some extra cash without much of an investment. (I wouldn't think anyone would pay for an advertisement on a bathroom wall or place mats at restaurants but they do!).

Does anyone know if I were to order 10 machines and stands if it would drastically reduce the cost of shipping versus ordering one at a time? Thanks for any info. Kasey

Also there's a lot of talk of commission on here. In my limited experience I have yet to find someone that will let me place machines actually ask about how much commission I will be paying. Either they want the machines or they don't. I have a couple racks on location and they've never discussed what % I will be giving them. So I pay out 20% even though I could probably leave them at no charge. I've approached other locations that have inquired about what % I would give. I usually offer 20% and counter with 30% but haven't had any luck yet.

I had a gumball machine at a large resale store. It was doing 40+ a month. I decided that a 5-way rack would probably do quite well. My 5-way is only doing around 65 but now I'm paying 20% commission and selling less gumballs. 65-20% is $52. $12 with 4 more selections I should have left well enough alone.

Charity helps get in big places that aren't interested or able to collect commission

I've read about people mentioning having ads on their machines some while back, can't remember the outcome, who would you solicit for that business?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Ants are bad around here, I put vaseline on the stand right below where the machine meets the stand

Yeah I did that on the inside of the stand, too. We had problems with ants in are house. My wife came up with a concoction of taking cotton balls and soaking them in a solution of sugar and borax. She put them around the inside and outside of house for a while problem solved immediately. So I took one and placed it behind machine between the wall and machine hope it helps.

Charity helps get in big places that aren't interested or able to collect commission

I've read about people mentioning having ads on their machines some while back, can't remember the outcome, who would you solicit for that business?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I thought about placing clear plastic sleeves 8x10 or 5x7 on the sides of my machines or below them. I would attach with velcro or zip ties. I would just put in a piece of paper that says advertise here and call xxx-xxxx. Probably charge like $5-10/month.

I remember being in a bathroom in a gas station somewhere and they were doing something similar. They had frames on the wall and it said advertise here. I thought who would ever pay to advertise in a bathroom. Next time I went in there sure enough there were advertisements placed.

Yea, seems like it'll either work or it wont, I don't see much harm in trying it as far as advertisments go.

About commission, most places i've checked asked how much they get from it. I usually start at 20% or 30% if it seems like a great location. Maybe you need to change your product at your slow rack location.

I bought a route about 5 years ago from a woman who had the same advertising idea and it didn't work out for her. I don't think she thought about the extra time involved soliciting businesses to buy the advertising space, designing a decent looking advertisement and apparently some of the locations didn't care for advertisements on machines in their businesses. It ended up not being worth her time not to mention she was not cut out for vending.

Use the Vaseline. I have never had an ant problem after using Vaseline on the post right under the machine.

i have been with the NCCS for years and they are great. They have a very established vending program and website. I refer people to their website all of the time. Business like to know that you are with a legitimate charity and they have an A rating with BBB Charity as well.

How big of an issue are ants for you? Since I found ants in one of my machines I have been paranoid about the little buggers. I haven't been back yet to see if I have the problem fixed.

How many actually use a charity like NCCS? How much does it actually help to be affiliated with a charity. I'm assuming it helps quite a bit to get into these corporate break rooms. Anyone have a negative experience working with the NCCS?

Here's a wild idea. Anyone ever thought of selling advertisement space on there machines? Like on the sides or on bottom of racks? Seems like it could work and a way to generate some extra cash without much of an investment. (I wouldn't think anyone would pay for an advertisement on a bathroom wall or place mats at restaurants but they do!).

Does anyone know if I were to order 10 machines and stands if it would drastically reduce the cost of shipping versus ordering one at a time? Thanks for any info. Kasey

I've never had any serious issues with ants, but where I am up in the north woods, I don't have to deal with bugs much at all for most of the year.

I've worked with some big charities, and smaller local charities. The local ones seemed to be much more effective in securing locations than national names, and were infinitely more flexible.

I had looked into ad space once, but the legalities and hoops involved in getting something like that set up are more trouble than it's worth, at least in my opinion.

When it comes to shipping, it depends on the weight and the shipping method. Usually once you get up to pallets, you're dealing with more fixed numbers than not- so depending on how much you want to spend and how much you want to buy, this can save you a bundle.

I've never had any serious issues with ants, but where I am up in the north woods, I don't have to deal with bugs much at all for most of the year.

I've worked with some big charities, and smaller local charities. The local ones seemed to be much more effective in securing locations than national names, and were infinitely more flexible.

I had looked into ad space once, but the legalities and hoops involved in getting something like that set up are more trouble than it's worth, at least in my opinion.

When it comes to shipping, it depends on the weight and the shipping method. Usually once you get up to pallets, you're dealing with more fixed numbers than not- so depending on how much you want to spend and how much you want to buy, this can save you a bundle.

I would think that a local charity would be much more effective. I would like to donate to a local food pantry. My problem is that I'm kind of new to the area and I have not heard of any. The ad space is just a thought at this point but I could see it working.

Go to one of two places to find a food bank. 1. At the city hall ask where the local food bank is Or ask about the local ministerial alliance. 2. Call a local church they definitely will know...sometimes it's run through a local church building. Other times if they have a good ministerial alliance they will have a separate building.

3. Find your local red cross. They do good work too.

• 1 month later...

Since I posted this I signed up with the nccs. It's helped me get into 3 locations so far. One I know I couldn't have gotten without it. It's in a factory break room.

Also I offered a guy 20% commission at one of my rack locations. He says don't worry about it as long as it's going to a good cause. I wonder if I should throw a charity sticker on it? I have yet to have someone seriously negotiate commission with me.

Archived