Is there a "too old"?

Jarred767

Still raw at searching for machines, but I found what seems like a pretty decent deal on CL for a couple "vintage oak machines."

They're one of the four everyone recommends, but can a machine be too old? They say they're in good working order with lock and key for $40 - for both. I've asked to find out just how old, but should I be weary of machines early than a specific year?

post-12092-0-07406700-1470091688_thumb.jpeg

post-12092-0-75620900-1470091699_thumb.jpeg

post-12092-0-69708500-1470091708_thumb.jpeg

post-12092-0-26901400-1470091726_thumb.jpeg

that's funny, i just saw those machines on cl, since i'm in WA they showed up, too far for me though. In answer to your question, some of the older models have glass globes, which i personally don't want for liability though i'm not sure that they'd even break i've never had any. Also some "older machines" have $.10 mechs and nickle mechs instead of $.25 like you want. I have some pretty old oaks, that look good, have .25 mechs and are out there making money. That's just me though...since I also don't mind a  little refurb work.

Still raw at searching for machines, but I found what seems like a pretty decent deal on CL for a couple "vintage oak machines."

They're one of the four everyone recommends, but can a machine be too old? They say they're in good working order with lock and key for $40 - for both. I've asked to find out just how old, but should I be weary of machines early than a specific year?

Those are Oak Vista 300's. If you buy a brand new Oak Vista 300 it will look identical to those. They are fine.

What's with the gold machines? I just picked up a bunch and 2 of the oaks are gold just like that lol. Like hillbilly said those are identical to the brand new ones out there now. As long as they have $.25 mechs, slap some paint on those bad boys and start collecting some quarters.

Oak (as well as most manufacturers) are manufacturing equipment to the exact same specifications as they were back in the 1950's. I The phrase "If it ain't broke don't fix it" comes to mind. The only thing to look for are glass globes and inflated prices- most people selling units as "antiques" are usually asking for way too much. Glass globes present another level of problems when used on route, and so it's best to swap them for plastic. (Plus you can resell the glass globes to the real "antique/collectors" to make a little extra money.)

Archived