Hello everyone  :  )   Would anyone be able to tell me the setup to vend Gatorade 16.9 oz plastic bottles

in the Dixie Narco 501E?  Also setup to vend 12 oz cans...I have had soda/snack machines in my business

for years, but this machine is stumping me on these two vends.  Thank you so much.

I'm not sure about a 16.9 oz gatorade.  Are they long bottles?  There are two things to know about when setting up any can or bottle -- the diameter and the length.  The diameter determines the type of shims needed.  If the diameter of the 16.9 oz gatorade bottle is nearly identical to that of a 12 oz can, then the gatorade bottle needs a can shim.  If the gatorade bottles are different, then they may need special shims.  Typically, the only two shims you need for a 501e are can or bottle shims.... and that depends on whether it's going into the NARROW columns or the WIDE columns because the shims are different for either one.  12 oz cans typically use can shims and 16.9 oz bottles typically also use can shims but it depends on the diameter as some products are shaped differently.  For example, a 16.9 oz bottle of coke has pretty much the same diameter as a 12 oz or 16 oz can of coke, while a 20 oz bottle has the same diameter as a 24 oz bottle, yet all of these products have different lengths relative to one another.

Once you know the width of the bottle (if it's a standard can-width or 20 oz bottle width) then you can determine how many products you want in each selection.  This is where you adjust the cam and POSSIBLY the rod.  Just for your knowledge, the easiest way to know which cam settings you need (ie. you want three 12 oz cans in a selection) is to turn the cam (without breaking or bending any parts, it takes a little practice) and count the notches on the circumference.  If you see 2 notches, then it is set up for products 2-deep.  If you see 3 notches, then it's set up for 3-deep.  The number that shows up doesn't necessarily tell you how many times the cam will cycle, it only tells you the setting number for a reference.

I don't have the website on me but dixie narco usually has a product list with dimensions of products, but it's easier and safer in my opinion to simply set a bottle upright on top of a tape measure and measure the diameter and compare it to a can.  If it's very close (within 1/4") then you can almost definitely use a can shim on your 501e (a can shim MADE for a 276e, 501e, or 600e).  Then, for gatorade, it's probably 2-deep and 12 oz cans are usually 3-deep on your cams.  I usually don't bother with the rods but it is recommended to put them in.

Edit: I know it's a long post but I believe it makes it much easier to set up products later when you understand how the shims and the cams work without having to look everything up all the time.  What I explained in my post is how I set products up.  The only difficult part (if there is one) is knowing which shims are for cans and which are for bottles and using the best cam setting (sometimes 2 different settings might do 3-deep for example).

7 hours ago, lacanteen said:

.............or you could go the the Dixie Narco data base where packages have been tested and solutions are printable.

http://dixienarco.com/comSite/CustomerService/PackageSetups/tabid/164/Default.cfm

This is the best way but I get the impression that the majority of people here don't know where that link is.

Archived