Vendstars and risky locations

Candyguy

Hi guys

I have a chance to pickup some Vendstars for like $20 a piece.  I've never had these and from what I've read they are not a fan favorite.  However, there have been many locations that I've passed on because I didn't want to risk my equipment being damaged or stolen like bars and some other rough locations.  Do some of you vendors run a cheaper equipment sometimes in "higher risk" locations?

My vending debut was buyimg a route of nothing but vendstars. They have pros and cons, but they are ideal for breakrooms and bars where visual appeal is less of a factor. It takes less product to make them look full and they are alot easier to swap selections out when needed. Plus the product wheel can be adjusted without taking the whole canister apart. But, salty items like peanuts will nasty up the clear front so use less than perfect canisters when possible for those types of things or youll have a pile of yellowed canisters in no time.

1 minute ago, Zigzag Vending said:

My vending debut was buyimg a route of nothing but vendstars. They have pros and cons, but they are ideal for breakrooms and bars where visual appeal is less of a factor. It takes less product to make them look full and they are alot easier to swap selections out when needed. Plus the product wheel can be adjusted without taking the whole canister apart. But, salty items like peanuts will nasty up the clear front so use less than perfect canisters when possible for those types of things or youll have a pile of yellowed canisters in no time.

Being that this machine looks like its completely made of plastic, are there certain things that are known to break often on these machines that I should be aware of?  I wouldn't put these in high traffic locations, but was just wondering some things to look out for if I get them. 

The chute doors are a problem area. Every vendstar i place i put stainless steel doors on, you can find them Here and they arent much worse than the plastic ones on price. It will add about $15 to the total xost of your machine but they wont break off. Just make sure to wipe fingerprints off every time u service the machine. Ive thought about painting them or engraving cuz they look a little homey, but they do work. Plus the same guy can dedinitely help with keys and locks, and can id the locks for you if u get a few from auction or something and they dont have keys.

Vendstars are, at least in my experience, expendable machines. I still find them dirt cheap from time to time, and as they're easy to locate, I just drop them off wherever they'll land. In a break room or a smaller restaurant, they'll usually be fine for some time. Other places I send Vendstars I fully expect the machine to be destroyed within a year. Bars, an apartment complex, a factory break room here that is oddly rough on the gear, etc. If the loc is a good earner, but the equipment is getting beat up, I figure why not put in "expendable" equipment.

Otherwise, no, Vendstars are really best passed up for better equipment, both in terms of appearance and functionality.

5 minutes ago, PerformaVending said:

Vendstars are, at least in my experience, expendable machines. I still find them dirt cheap from time to time, and as they're easy to locate, I just drop them off wherever they'll land. In a break room or a smaller restaurant, they'll usually be fine for some time. Other places I send Vendstars I fully expect the machine to be destroyed within a year. Bars, an apartment complex, a factory break room here that is oddly rough on the gear, etc. If the loc is a good earner, but the equipment is getting beat up, I figure why not put in "expendable" equipment.

Otherwise, no, Vendstars are really best passed up for better equipment, both in terms of appearance and functionality.

Thats what has intrigued me about them.  I've never been a person to buy cheap equipment, but I think of all the locations I've passed up because I didn't want to take a chance.  With very little invested, this would make higher risk locations worth the gamble in my opinion.  

Archived