Slow response to my typing.

AZVendor

Hey Mage,

Have you had any complaints about people having real slow typing responses from the forum lately?  The latency is worse in the Food and Beverage forum while it's not too slow in this post as I type it but it's still a bit slow.  Other forums or email I type in isn't showing the latency - it seems to only be from this forum. 

I tested it out with my computer, the mobile site with my phone, with a tablet, and with Tapatalk. I didn't see any issues with typing. I then tried using Microsoft Edge, and Firefox browsers, (I usually use Chrome,) and again didn't see any issues.

Unless you are seeing it happen with different devices, It seems like it's coming from your side. (Reboot...Always reboot.) There could be background processes running, software updates downloading. (Everything seems to be updating recently.)

If you are having issues with different browsers and devices, let me know, and if anyone else is having the same issue, let me know, and I will attempt to send it up to the developers forum developers.

The latency issue is definitely only in this forum and only since the the conversion.  My activity monitor shows constant processor activity anytime I'm on this site.  I use Firefox and block all ads.

That was typed while in Firefox and in my only open tab.   I'm now using Chrome with no ad blocker.  As soon as I closed that browser the activity meter went to nil as nothing else was then open.  This is after I deep scanned for viruses, adware and spyware, then updated windows and rebooted.

This browser has zero latency so I wonder if the issue is that the forum software is constantly trying to display ads which my computer is constantly blocking?  I will now experiment by disabling ad blocking in Firefox and see what happens.

I'm now typing this in Firefox safemode which disables all ad-ons and custom settings.  The latency is improved but still exists.  When opening a new page in the forum there is a lot of processor activity as the ads load, I presume, then the meter slows down.  However, I still have noticeable latency even now while allowing ads to display.

I'm thinking the issue is an incompatibility with Firefox.  I have the latest version of it as they install automatically.  I'm still going to use Firefox for it's ad blocking capabilities and I don't want to have a second browser open just for this forum.  Hopefully you can get this figured out.

One other minor issue I've had since the software change is that when I press Enter at the end of a sentence to begin a new paragraph, the cursor spaces down two lines automatically with one press of the Enter key.  Since I'm used to pressing the Enter key twice for a new paragraph (to separate them) I then have to backspace to get the paragraph spacing correct.  I don't know if this is on purpose or another quirk with Firefox (I didn't think to test that in Chrome).

Thanks for your help.

The paragraph spacing is part of the system, so sorry, you will have to learn to quit double spacing. (I generally did the same thing.)

I am checking into Firefox issues. I realized my system may be too powerful. I don't usually use Firefox, but I am typing this on Firefox, having just added an adblock, and not having any issues. I need to check, using my wife's laptop, when I get a chance.

I installed Firefox onto my system. and initially I was having some connectivity issues, but that may have been some internet issue. I had to leave again, and now things seem to be working fine.

I am typing this on my wife's laptop, using Firefox, with adblock running. I don't notice any lag right now. A page loads in about 4 seconds, which I find a little slow.

I am going to experiment with Chrome as my browser for awhile.  I see quite a bit of unneeded activity whenever I have Firefox open so I'll see if Chrome is better for me to use.  Thanks for your help.

4 hours ago, The Mage said:

That was the issue I had, that convinced me to dump Firefox. I would have thought it would be fixed by now.

If you type with two fingers, like me, you won' t have this problem :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Archived