Advise for Expanding Company

TenVend

Here is an expansion opportunity that we have and would like some advise from other guys in the business.  I know this is a popular topic, but you always get a wide variety of answers.  We are looking at buying out another Vending Business, give me some of your valuations......2800.00 to 3100.00 a week gross.  40 stops.  Has owned and worked the route for 12 years.  Access to all $$ records for the past 5 (in Quicken and legit).  The guy is a good friend and have worked together for a few years.  All stops are within or less than 10 minutes outside of our current area of service.  Some are literally across the street from current stops.  Includes nice box truck, with all service records. And 5 - 6 spare machines.  All machines are owned, no 3rd parties.  Most all machines are in the Average range.  Not many "New Machines" but no Junk........Combo's, Antares, or Old Polyvends......Most are decent refurbished 501E's AP, and USI Snacks..........Give me a range of Valuation that would be fair for the business.  We aren't rookies, but always want to learn from others in the business.  It is about the size of our current business.  We would almost double in size, stops, and gross...........Thanks for the help

Without more details, my opinion is $50-$75K. Probably closer to $75K. If they are willing to finance the deal, that would be sweeter. It's also common these days to pay a percentage of the sales generated by the accounts over a long period of time.

$75K is about 50% of annual sales. As a second check point, you look at the value of the equipment. With nothing else to go on, I used the average price of $1K per machine, assuming there are 75 or so machines, it confirms the $75K price. The truck is a separate negotiable asset. A cash stream of less than $50 per week per machine is below optimum. Unless the majority of the equipment is 3 years old or newer, I can't justify a higher price, unless you are in a market with high cost of living. (New York/New Jersey, LA, or San Francisco)

But ultimately, it's worth what you are willing to pay for it.

My line of thinking is about the same as lacanteen. With "average" equipment, we usually pay up to 40% ( more in certain situations). The only time I have ever paid one years gross is recently...guy bought 3 brand new machines for his location, then had a car wreck and had to sell..very high volume account and the machines were maybe 8 days old when we bought

Could always use more info but I think it's worth every bit of 75k if not more. The accounts seem like decent accounts (to me atleast). They are near you. Hopefully the machines are the same as some that you already own so you know how they work. And if something needs to be replaced, odds are you'd have the spare part already. 

My company does about 3300 a week gross. I'd do a back flip if this opportunity came up for me, and had the right equipment. We had a route offered to us 2 years back but the machines were ancient, and about half of the accounts weren't worth anything due to crazy low revenue. The bulk of the route was an entire school district, and was an all or nothing type of deal (teachers lounges only). It was about 50 machines (I forget what the selling price started at) but after we said no they dropped the price over and over again until they were almost giving the route away. We still said no because none of the machine were compatible with our current ones, and I can't express how old/crappy the machines were. We would have had service calls out the wazoo, and didn't have the parts to fix potential problems. The increased revenue would have been awesome but the headaches would have been aplenty. 

I guess my point is, you can do multiple different math problems to see "what a route is worth", but there are many other variables that aren't easily quantifiable. Comes down to those little things more times than not for me. If everything seems right though, I think it's worth what they are asking. 

Thanks for all the replies.....I know there is a ton of multiples to think about. It is alot of money, and like you said some added work. Just don't want to give too much......but also be willing to grow and make some big $$$.

Thanks SouthEast......We have 1 guy working for us now and I know the guy who is working with the company that we are looking at buying.  He is a quality professional individual (retired high school teacher)  So hopefully by upping the hours of our guy and adding on the new guy, we can get a lot of it covered.......I have been playing on 2 guys 4 days a week.....I think we can get it all done.  Just the accounting for all the income.........We have a ton of coin and cash now.....That is really going to be a lot with essentially doubling our size.  How do you guys handle all of your coins......??  We were with 53's bank and they had a counter we could just dump it all.  They removed the machine and I guess we are going to have to do it in Brink's Bags.......Sucks.......

I bought a magner 100dc about a year ago and it was/is a game changer for me. I was using a rinky dink counter from sams (royal sovereign). My weekly counting change time went from about 2-3 hours a week to 30 minutes a week. It never jams and the old one would jam alllllll the time. I then wait til a 50lb bag fills and take it into BofA.  It kinda sucks carrying the heavy coins around but I don't think taking money into the bank will ever get old. As I said earlier we do about 3300 a week so I'd say roughly 1k of that is change. These are good problems to have.....

I bought a magner 100dc about a year ago and it was/is a game changer for me. I was using a rinky dink counter from sams (royal sovereign). My weekly counting change time went from about 2-3 hours a week to 30 minutes a week. It never jams and the old one would jam alllllll the time. I then wait til a 50lb bag fills and take it into BofA.  It kinda sucks carrying the heavy coins around but I don't think taking money into the bank will ever get old. As I said earlier we do about 3300 a week so I'd say roughly 1k of that is change. These are good problems to have.....

Hey Guys, UPDATE........

I got some more info, we met this weekend.  There is 90 machine's total with a handful that are in storage.  He is 75% can drinks and 25% bottles.  All cans are priced at .75 and bottles at 1.25.  Which for foothills of NC is about as high as your going to get away with.  Includes 2004 3500 box truck with 1 year old tires (receipt) and all parts, moving hand-trucks, piano jacks, and everything to go with the business.  Grossing bw 130,000 and 140,000 a year. Asking 125K and he may finance a portion.  Long time friend.  I just want to make sure that business end matches up with buying out a friends business.

You might want to talk him down some, not a bad route but I would want to get it at no more than 70-80% of sales with all equipment, still it's worth looking at.  It seems like your bottle prices are too low, is he buying 20's from the bottlers or 16.9's elsewhere?

Archived