Can you REALLY make money in bulk candy vending?

tmedeiros13

Hi, 

I am currently a full service vendor - snacks, food, soda cans and bottles, etc...

I am looking online and came across a guy with several bulk machines for sale for what I think to be a good deal....Is this a liable source of steady income? If I venture into this end of the vending business does it make money? Will I see a return? 

As I said, I have been in the full service vending business for a while now, and see how lucrative that side of the business can be...just wondering if bulk vending is similar. 

Thanks

It is a business, and run correctly, will see a return. How much and how fast depends on various factors.

What machines is he selling and for how much?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, tmedeiros13 said:

Hi, 

I am currently a full service vendor - snacks, food, soda cans and bottles, etc...

I am looking online and came across a guy with several bulk machines for sale for what I think to be a good deal....Is this a liable source of steady income? If I venture into this end of the vending business does it make money? Will I see a return? 

As I said, I have been in the full service vending business for a while now, and see how lucrative that side of the business can be...just wondering if bulk vending is similar. 

Thanks

I've been vending for almost a year now. Started with a route of 12 bulk vending machines and have been growing ever since. I've even expanded into full-line myself.

Bulk vending is just as viable as full-line, but you have to put in the effort to make it that way. Watching margins and product costs, being smart with equipment purchases, finding profitable locations and relocating the less-profitable ones. Same principles as you would apply to your full-line business. Bulk is going to have smaller pulls per machine, but it also has a longer service cycle.

There are plenty of other pros and cons for each, but you can definitely make it an additional income stream of you invest some time into it. 

It is profitable but to see the return you are used to with full line you will need a large amount of locations. My machines generate an average of 10$ a month and I estimate that if I were to do bulk vending full time, I would need about 350 locations. Also be prepared to set aside a lot of time for locating because there is a lot of hearing the word NO in this industry.

Also do your research on machines and don't buy low quality. Get on craigslist and learn your market and what's available and how much a machine goes for.

i gross around 75k a year on 365ish bulk machines. honestly i dont give it the attention it needs so that gross number could be higher.  so yes bulk can be a full time job/career.  i think its alot easier than full line..  u can service alot more locations and its alot less overhead.

What is an industry average per month sales? 

I have locations now doing anywhere from $50/week-$400/week! And I run a 38-42% food cost on average, so I am making very good money for the amount of work I do...

I guess what I am trying to figure out, is if I am looking to expand my business - do I continue down the road I'm on now, or test the bulk market 

1 hour ago, tmedeiros13 said:

What is an industry average per month sales? 

I have locations now doing anywhere from $50/week-$400/week! And I run a 38-42% food cost on average, so I am making very good money for the amount of work I do...

I guess what I am trying to figure out, is if I am looking to expand my business - do I continue down the road I'm on now, or test the bulk market 

How big is your route right now? I think your answer to that question will help decide if bulk is the way to go or not. If you're just starting out and aren't pulling in say $5k in sales, you might wanna give it a shot. After the machines are placed, it would give you an additional income stream without much additional time commitment. If you're a fairly large company and you're doing high sales, it would probably make more sense to grow that portion of your business instead.

I think you would probably be a bit disappointed if you got into bulk and pulled $500 from 20 machines after a month. Even though those are solid numbers for bulk and required maybe 6-8 hours total for the month, you sound like you have accounts that would make that seem like chump change. 

Bulk is a numbers game, more so than full-line, so you'll have to decide if it will be worth it.

Sounds like you're full-line is doing pretty well though, I say if you can duplicate that, I'd stick with what works. Or, you could even try to get a few bulk machines in your current accounts and see how they do. May be a good test? 

On 10/7/2016 at 1:14 AM, AMD Snacks said:

It is a business, and run correctly, will see a return. How much and how fast depends on various factors.

What machines is he selling and for how much?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

He's got 40 machines total...looking for $30 each...they are 3 bay units

On 10/7/2016 at 4:00 PM, jbl vending va said:

i gross around 75k a year on 365ish bulk machines. honestly i dont give it the attention it needs so that gross number could be higher.  so yes bulk can be a full time job/career.  i think its alot easier than full line..  u can service alot more locations and its alot less overhead.

On that $75K gross....whats your net %. What is your margins? 

Currently my full line vending s grossing anywhere from $80-95K a year. In the next 2-3 months I am planning on getting that gross figure up over $110K...which is a great yearly profit. 

Also how long did it take you to grow your business that big? How often do you service each location?

On 10/8/2016 at 0:26 AM, QuikVend said:

How big is your route right now? I think your answer to that question will help decide if bulk is the way to go or not. If you're just starting out and aren't pulling in say $5k in sales, you might wanna give it a shot. After the machines are placed, it would give you an additional income stream without much additional time commitment. If you're a fairly large company and you're doing high sales, it would probably make more sense to grow that portion of your business instead.

I think you would probably be a bit disappointed if you got into bulk and pulled $500 from 20 machines after a month. Even though those are solid numbers for bulk and required maybe 6-8 hours total for the month, you sound like you have accounts that would make that seem like chump change. 

Bulk is a numbers game, more so than full-line, so you'll have to decide if it will be worth it.

Sounds like you're full-line is doing pretty well though, I say if you can duplicate that, I'd stick with what works. Or, you could even try to get a few bulk machines in your current accounts and see how they do. May be a good test? 

Currently my full line vending s grossing anywhere from $80-95K a year. In the next 2-3 months I am planning on getting that gross figure up over $110K...which is a great yearly profit. 

Idk if it is worth it to invest a few hundred $$ to bulk? 

As I said, by January/February I will be doing well over $100K a year with the full line, and that is only working 3.5 days a week! I could add more locations on the other 1.5 days and easily get $150-180K gross. 

I do know bulk is way less of a time commitment. That's why I am thinking about bulk. Less time, extra overall sales. Seems like a pretty easy way to add numbers to my overall sales figure. 

What do you think? Maybe I'm wrong. I have never been in bulk, or even spoke to anybody in bulk so maybe I'm completely wrong

I think it could compliment your sales. With the volume you're doing with full-line, I don't think I would go crazy with it. I'd probably stick to adding machines at your current locations and maybe neighboring places. You would add the sales with minimal extra effort. 

To answer your original question, along with what QuikVend already said, you will see a return on $30 machines. Probably they will pay for themselves within a cycle or two. Which brand of machine is pretty important as they're not all created equal.

On average I net about 70% of my gross after licenses, gas, product and charity fees. That can be increased if you stay away from chocolate candy.

I don't know about a true national average. But I set my machines on 1 month or 8 weeks cycles depending on the location. I  like to see at least $45 in a triple every cycle. That's just me personally, i'm not full time.

Archived