My first year vending

QuikVend

Whew! It's been a whole year since I've started vending. Time sure does fly! I sure have learned alot, mostly from this forum(many thanks to anyone who has helped along the way), but also from actual trial and lots of error. 

It all started because of a part-time job I picked up. It's a merchandising position at local gas stations where you adjust the products on the shelf to the new planograms. Just so happens the first project is a candy project. When you finish, you have all this candy that is still good, but isnt allowed to be sold. So I figured I'd find out if I could make a few dollars selling it. Doing research for that led me to a route of 15 locations with candy machines in place. I end up investigating it and negotiate the guy down to $1200. 

We met up and he went over each location on paper and he gave me a few tips and then we exchanged money for keys. I went straight to the machines and started checking them out. I still remember opening the first machine, which was an old dentyne ice machine that was vending mentos(which I still have setup the same currently), and pulling out $40. I was ecstatic. I went to all 13 locations(2 machines were lost due to closed businesses and the previous owner only ran the route every 4-6 months). I ended up collecting just over $500 immediately! That's when I became hooked. Granted, I learned that those numbers were due to not being serviced for a few months. I still have 12 of those locations and have increased the 30 day average from $160 to $175 without many changes. 

I've since expanded a great deal, especially in the last 3 months. I'm currently doing full-line as well as honor boxes in addition to bulk. I'm currently sitting at 51 bulk locations(with a locator hired to add 30 more in 2 weeks), 10 full-line accounts and 8 honor box locations(with a locator hired to add 12 more in the next week or so).

My goal is to vend full time, so I've reinvested every penny I've earned as well as kept the part-time job to keep funding more machines, locating efforts etc.

I don't think I've shared how I got into vending, so I figured my one year mark was as good a time as any. Here's to another year and lots of quarters(and now dollar bills)!

2 hours ago, AMD Snacks said:

Great post...when is your target date to be full time?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I haven't set a goal for that yet. I'd like to get the rest of my bulk machines(~120) and honor boxes(~50) placed before the end of this year so I can work on weeding out the extremely poor locations and see where I'm at then. 

Archived