Making stands

Zigzag Vending

Here's my thoughts on it, so keep that in mind as you read through it. Just my opinion through my own experiences.

When I first started out, I realized stands weren't easy to find used. I searched all the time trying to find more. Did get lucky once or twice, but I was still looking for more. I had the same thoughts as most of you guys, I figured I'd make them. Once I started trying to figure out how I would go about doing so, I realized after all of the materials and time involved that it's actually not worth it. I was looking at spending maybe $20-30 and a few hours of my time or I could spend $45-50 and spend 15 seconds to order new. I've been lucky enough to stockpile plenty of stands, but when I run out I know I'll be buying new(even though I don't really want to) of I have a need for more. 

Like I said, just my own personal opinion. If somebody can go out and make a stand and it works, go for it. But for me it seemed like alot of extra work to save what ends up being a few dollars in the end. 

1 hour ago, Flyboy718 said:

I am watching this and would be interested to see what others post.  I would go buy a small welder if I knew what I could use for a base and if I could get the materials cheap enough to make them.

What gets me is the base is that x factor. pipes and flanges are standard and easy to source, so why hasnt someone just started selling the bases only? I get that its heavy to ship, but it should be a no brainer. if i could i think i would contact the maker and buy a million bases and resell them.

Funny this topic come up today,  I just had some made yesterday.  I had the flanges and pipes but no base, stands new in canada go for $80 each.

I had a plate cut 18x18x1/4" with the flange welded to it, coat of black paint and looks real good.  Cost was $75 for the 2 plates and another top plate to mount the machines on.  

Here's my thoughts on it, so keep that in mind as you read through it. Just my opinion through my own experiences.

When I first started out, I realized stands weren't easy to find used. I searched all the time trying to find more. Did get lucky once or twice, but I was still looking for more. I had the same thoughts as most of you guys, I figured I'd make them. Once I started trying to figure out how I would go about doing so, I realized after all of the materials and time involved that it's actually not worth it. I was looking at spending maybe $20-30 and a few hours of my time or I could spend $45-50 and spend 15 seconds to order new. I've been lucky enough to stockpile plenty of stands, but when I run out I know I'll be buying new(even though I don't really want to) of I have a need for more. 

Like I said, just my own personal opinion. If somebody can go out and make a stand and it works, go for it. But for me it seemed like alot of extra work to save what ends up being a few dollars in the end. 

Yea I can weld and have access to pipe threaders and still came to the same conclusion... Just cheaper to buy them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I think it really is just cheaper to buy metal stands. For some big locations I am going to build custom rack mounts that match the venue and I talk that up in the pitch. I've priced these as being a little under $125. Only done one so far this is a picture of that location.

_20161127_100807.JPG

I think I may have come up with something here.  Using a plate barbell weight such as a 25# or 35# weight.  These can be picked up at garage sales for next to nothing.  Then all you would need is the pipe and the piece of metal to attach the machines to.  The question is and maybe someone else could figure this out...is how to attach the pipe to the barbell weight.  Some are 2" and some are 1" holes.  Also, there has got to be a way to do this without a welder.  

Screenshot 2016-11-28 at 10.17.34 AM.png

I think I may have come up with something here.  Using a plate barbell weight such as a 25# or 35# weight.  These can be picked up at garage sales for next to nothing.  Then all you would need is the pipe and the piece of metal to attach the machines to.  The question is and maybe someone else could figure this out...is how to attach the pipe to the barbell weight.  Some are 2" and some are 1" holes.  Also, there has got to be a way to do this without a welder.  

Screenshot 2016-11-28 at 10.17.34 AM.png

lol that might work..if you have a lot of time/energy. But I dont think it would look great. Also if you need 20+ machines that's going to be a hard thing to reproduce. Not knocking your idea, I'm just saying if you plan on growing and building, might as well build on something solid.

Idk, he may be onto something. you could theoretically drill and tap the weight to a flange bolt pattern so you would have a flange at the bottom bolted to the weight, a flange up top for the machine, and a pipe in the middle. ill try looking into this when i have some free time. as long as  the weight is wide enough ud be in business, it would just be the matter of cost effectiveness. you could even file the name and weight down smooth and hit it all with your paint of choice to add appeal. i like those cutouts in the weights pictured.

11 minutes ago, Zigzag Vending said:

Idk, he may be onto something. you could theoretically drill and tap the weight to a flange bolt pattern so you would have a flange at the bottom bolted to the weight, a flange up top for the machine, and a pipe in the middle. ill try looking into this when i have some free time. as long as  the weight is wide enough ud be in business, it would just be the matter of cost effectiveness. you could even file the name and weight down smooth and hit it all with your paint of choice to add appeal. i like those cutouts in the weights pictured.

That solves the attachment problem!  Flange and drill holes to bolt it into the weight.  Good thinking!  Yeap just spray paint with flat black and that covers the letters up and I like the look of the cutouts as well.  No one is going to be on their knees looking at it and saying "well this guy used a plate weight"  I just took a look on my local craigslist and their are plenty of these plate weights out there for a very reasonable price.  Now its time to build one!

That solves the attachment problem!  Flange and drill holes to bolt it into the weight.  Good thinking!  Yeap just spray paint with flat black and that covers the letters up and I like the look of the cutouts as well.  No one is going to be on their knees looking at it and saying "well this guy used a plate weight"  I just took a look on my local craigslist and their are plenty of these plate weights out there for a very reasonable price.  Now its time to build one!

I'm looking into buying some pipe from my local automotive muffler shop. Can get it in 2, 2.5, 3"etc. Plus the option of metal like stainless or galvanized.
They'll cut it to length and if you want to get fancy with it, they could even put bends in it. They can do it using just the one pipe unless you're looking for some drastic bends.
it's quick, cheap and easy to get. Plus I don't work myself to death so I could spend plenty of time for customization.

Flyboy, good thinking man, your idea sounds great.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

Can you make/mass produce your own stands? yes.
Can you save time and money by making a bunch at one time? yes.
Is it a liability concern if it tips over? yes.
Will you spend more time in your garage then you will locating is the real question, saving money is the same as making money.  However saving 20 bucks once is not as good as making 20 bucks monthly therefore unless your full of free time I would just recommend getting stands in a way that is as quick, easy, and turnkey as possible.

20160414_172647 (1).jpg

3 hours ago, dwr136135 said:

I have plenty of time, love fabricating, and any excuse to get out to the garage is a bonus for me lol

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

Let me know what you make...I'd like to see what it looks like 

Archived