Bulk Candy/Gum pieces per vend?

bandyt

Hi, just wondering if anyone has a chart of how many pieces of product should vend at 25 cents a vend. Right now i vend 10-12 pieces for small product (skittles, m&m choc) and 7-8 pieces for larger (jelly beans, m&m peanut). I use Beaver machines so the settings are different. Thanks

This has been asked and answered many time on this forum - quick search and you'll have your answer.

The short answer is "it depends" - It depends on

(1) Cost of product sold

(2) What percentage of gross profit you want  

(3) Will you have repeat customers or not.

The first step is to calculate cost of product per sale.  So you take the cost you paid for (whatever candy) and divide by ounces in the bag. Now you have cost per ounce. 

Now do the math for each portion example: 1/4 ounce, 1/3 ounce 1/2 ounce and so on. You'll need a scale to try different amounts 5 items = 1/4 ounce.

Now determine which portion provide gross profit you are wanting.  Pick the portion the matches your gross profit number you wish.

Now adjust wheel to serve that amount.

Easy huh?

20% cost of goods on candy and toys and I do it by weight. I'm vending between .33 and .55 oz depending on type of candy. Also take size of candy into account when you're thinking about your margins. National vendors around here are vending PMM at 50c and you get a "huge portion!" but I'm not sure how much it actually is. I expect to vend larger portions for more money as price of candy rises.

6 hours ago, bhfisher said:

(3) Will you have repeat customers or not.

Are you talking about like break rooms? Are you saying you change your vend for that? Cuz I never have, but now i'm curious

Yeah, like captured audiences vs one time sales...

In captured audience locations they seem to do well at first. But if you don't give enough candy per vend it will soon drop to small collections.

18 hours ago, bhfisher said:

Yeah, like captured audiences vs one time sales...

In captured audience locations they seem to do well at first. But if you don't give enough candy per vend it will soon drop to small collections.

I have one location set to vend 8 pmm to keep the employees happy. It is amazing that people can look at 6 pmms in their hand and 12 mms in the other and say the latter is more? Ever tried to eat 6 pmms at a time? Lol

I will say this: you seem to be spot on with the smaller stuff. Most vendors are at 6 pmms because of expense. Heres an easy way to figure pieces per vend. Buy the theater box from walmart for $1. Count the pieces and compare to the # of oz ob the box and youll have an avg pcs per oz.

There's a spreadsheet on this forum that has how many pieces of candy there is already figured in. All you have to do is change the price per pound to your cost, and how many pieces you let out. It Will give you product cost/profit numbers

Archived