Tired of lugging in and out 100 lbs of chocolate

I have two of the largest size igloo coolers on my tuck that I use for my candy and chocolate. I have spent so much time trying to find a solution for dragging the stuff in and out of my truck. I noticed another vendor with a refrigerator in his truck, but didn't have time to ask how he powered it. I also considered insulating my truck, "previous U-Haul" and putting a RV air conditioner on top. The issue is that the truck has a roll up door, and all the cool air will go out while working in the back. What is the norm? 

I use a pretty large cooler myself. I think it's 155 quarts.  Honestly, the best way I deal with Ohio Summer heat is by rotating ice packs every day. I use two ice packs and try to keep the cooler shut. Those two ice packs will keep it cool for 24 hours at 85 degrees outside. On Friday, I unload the candy. If it's above 95, I take it out at night.  It's the cheapest and easiest solution.

Your other option is to use a plug in model but it will cost you and take up space. You could also buy an inverter and get fancy but that's even more costly.  With what you're saying, why not just spend money on some really good, durable ice packs?  You just need to rotate ice packs every day and you'll be fine.

We use coolers we bought from a member here (TVF) their name is SaveYourYum. 

The coolers have removable dividers and come with 4 small, durable ice packs. The coolers are also stackable with eachother and with milk crates.

It's the same with forgetting to plug the fridge in lol. If you insist on a fridge, then get one. I think they make outlet plugs for trucks so you can hook it up with an extension cord. I'm confused though. You say you run every other week. Do you mean you're off every other week?

I personally think you're putting too much into it if you're only working every other week but I guess the fridge is your best bet if you truly cannot stand loading/unloading some candy.  It's a lot easier than loading/unloading soda in single digit weather.

If it's that hot in there, you would see a benefit from insulating and getting some form of air conditioning but you would need plastic like Allen mentioned. Thing is, it would cost you a pretty penny. Being that hot affects everything, including the seals in snacks. I still think ice packs + unloading is your best bet as you are guaranteed to not lose candy that way. I could use a space heater in my truck but I'm always worried about a breaker tripping without me knowing, or the extension cord getting disconnected, or a darn electrical fire.

Those coleman ice chests are pretty chillin. I can fit like 4 boxes of snikers and 4 of mms. My box truck.sits in the warehouse, then when your driving plug it in, it isnt freezing cold, but the chocolates are cool to the touch even with 110 degree heat. Paint the roof with a special white paint, went from 180 roof, to 97

Ice cream trucks use inverters and battery banks to power coolers on the road, and plug in at night.  But I agree with the others that it is a little over the top for a small route.  I would take the candy out just to make room in the truck.  I used to have a large cooler with plastic bins and ice packs, I would pull it out straight to a small furniture dolly to make moving easier.

On 1/8/2017 at 0:25 AM, Anacapa Vending said:

We use coolers we bought from a member here (TVF) their name is SaveYourYum. 

The coolers have removable dividers and come with 4 small, durable ice packs. The coolers are also stackable with eachother and with milk crates.

We bought the exact same colors from SaveyourYum. 

These things work spectacular and a whole lot cheaper and easier in the options I've heard mentioned.  Here is a picture of mine in the back of the truck right now loaded up with chocolate. I've got about 12 cases of chocolate in there and have never lost any to Melting or freezing.

14 hours ago, Chard said:

We bought the exact same colors from SaveyourYum. 

These things work spectacular and a whole lot cheaper and easier in the options I've heard mentioned.  Here is a picture of mine in the back of the truck right now loaded up with chocolate. I've got about 12 cases of chocolate in there and have never lost any to Melting or freezing.

Thank you for referencing the Candy Coolers.  As Anacapa Vending and Chard have mentioned, the coolers are certainly successful at preventing the white haze on the candies in the cold months and melting in the hot months. They are a very easy way to stack and transport candy to and from your delivery vehicle.  

As a note we are still offering the coolers to the Vendiscuss members at a special price of $99.00 + shipping.  If you would like to see more pictures and information visit the e-bay listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Candy-Cooler-Vendor-Ice-Chest-/282320351560?hash=item41bb9ab148:g:N3wAAOSwFV9XyZ~- or If  you are interested in purchasing any coolers please private message me to make arrangements and for the special pricing mentioned above as that pricing is not available through e-bay.  Thanks!

Archived