Growing pains

AMD Snacks

Bulk vending is my part time job, and my goal really is to reach a point that I can pay my mortgage and my wife a small salary that's pretty much it. With locators and self locating I've been steadily growing my route and I can see some things definitely have changed since I started back in 2015.

(1) I've become super cheap. I try and think of ways to make every penny stretch and make sure i'm not wasting a lot.

(2) My service cycles have gotten a lot longer. I was very afraid at first that an empty machine would be the death of me. So I'd go every couple of weeks maybe a month or so, and never had a machine even get low. Now I try and time things to right about the empty level. About every 2+ months for most locations

(3) I'm more picky about  which used equipment I  buy since I've had to refurb machines so much. Basically can't spend all day rebuilding a machine.

(4) Always trying to adapt. All the ideas I had about how I wanted things to go change with locations. Some one this candy, some want that, some can't have nuts, some hate gumballs.

(5) Keeping track of things better. Mileage, inventory, costs of goods, cost of machines. Really helps with taxes and efficiency. Also when growing its hard to tell if you're actually making money. Money comes, then goes back into the business. For a while I thought I was just throwing money around and not getting anywhere. But actual figures help keep things clear.

Anyway, just sharing in case someone finds it helpful, my main reason for this post is asking for advice from those who've done it a while about servicing.

My routine is basically Go in, if the candy's low I add until about 3/4 full. If it's not low enough I just collect the quarters and test to make sure the mechs are still working. Then I'll spray some cleaner on the base or wherever I see dust and smudges. After that, if it's commission I move to an area I can weigh my quarters, do my math and give the location their cut. If it's charity I leave about a dollars worth of quarters and move on.

That's been working for me at my current size. As I'm planning to add 30 more bulk locations this year, i'm wondering what other people are doing in the 40-100 bulk location size. Just comparing notes.

Great advice. I'm going to keep this post in mind as I grow. I'm sitting at around 40 bulk and I'm now focusing on getting quality locations over quantity this year. More big racks, toys, optimizing the product selection in my current racks, and expanding in a more controlled way. Especially as we get more amusement stuff. What are you doing about your slow locations, how do you determine to pull a machine? You have any plans to do full line, etc?

Bulk vending is my part time job, and my goal really is to reach a point that I can pay my mortgage and my wife a small salary that's pretty much it. With locators and self locating I've been steadily growing my route and I can see some things definitely have changed since I started back in 2015.

(1) I've become super cheap. I try and think of ways to make every penny stretch and make sure i'm not wasting a lot.

(2) My service cycles have gotten a lot longer. I was very afraid at first that an empty machine would be the death of me. So I'd go every couple of weeks maybe a month or so, and never had a machine even get low. Now I try and time things to right about the empty level. About every 2+ months for most locations

(3) I'm more picky about  which used equipment I  buy since I've had to refurb machines so much. Basically can't spend all day rebuilding a machine.

(4) Always trying to adapt. All the ideas I had about how I wanted things to go change with locations. Some one this candy, some want that, some can't have nuts, some hate gumballs.

(5) Keeping track of things better. Mileage, inventory, costs of goods, cost of machines. Really helps with taxes and efficiency. Also when growing its hard to tell if you're actually making money. Money comes, then goes back into the business. For a while I thought I was just throwing money around and not getting anywhere. But actual figures help keep things clear.

Anyway, just sharing in case someone finds it helpful, my main reason for this post is asking for advice from those who've done it a while about servicing.

My routine is basically Go in, if the candy's low I add until about 3/4 full. If it's not low enough I just collect the quarters and test to make sure the mechs are still working. Then I'll spray some cleaner on the base or wherever I see dust and smudges. After that, if it's commission I move to an area I can weigh my quarters, do my math and give the location their cut. If it's charity I leave about a dollars worth of quarters and move on.

That's been working for me at my current size. As I'm planning to add 30 more bulk locations this year, i'm wondering what other people are doing in the 40-100 bulk location size. Just comparing notes.

Very nice post! I'm sitting at 31 bulk, 5 full line (actually combos),7 snack honor boxes. I feel like you! I feel like.. Yes, I'm making money, but it's just coming out of one machine, and going into another! But I'm definitely in your boat!

Sent from my Z987 using Tapatalk

I think I've had a similar experience as you. This time last year, I was still fumbling around with my first route that I bought (15 locations that ended up being 12). The guy I bought it from was running it every 4-6 months. I ran all of it every month(even though most of the machines aren't getting that many sales) the first 3-4 months before I realized that spreading out the service increased $ collections and cost less to do. Now, I'm trying to stretch it as long as I can without either running out or running too low for too long. 

Everything has kind of exploded since then. Adding another 60 stops, along with jumping in to full-line and growing that to 12 spots and the honor boxes as well. I love every second of it, but it's quite a bit to keep under control so quickly. That's why I've devoted time to getting organized. I've grown my sales to 10x what they were a year ago. I'd like to keep growing like that, I just want to be sure to do it while being smart. 

I'm in the same boat as you, as far as making money on the venture, possibly even taking it further. Every dime that comes in through vending, I've put back into vending. Buying equipment, products, locations etc. I even have a PT job I started right before I started vending that funded my first purchase and continues to help the business grow. So I'm on the reinvestment program on steroids, in hopes of growing large enough to replace my income from my full-time job at some point. 

31 minutes ago, jerrybrooksvendall said:

To get precise with your post... My problem on number one is that as far as product, I will over buy. Fill the machine up to full capacity, then go 2 months later to find half of it, melted or cracked! Especially peanut m&ms, and skittles!

I've always just filled halfway or just under and made sure I got back to check the location after a month to get an initial feel for how busy it would be. Typically when I go back, it's only around a quarter full or so, then I fill and adjust the cycle accordingly. I have had a few locations blindside me. They are emptying full NW doubles in about 30 days. Empty machines are always a welcome suprise(assuming the money is present for all the missing product)!

4 hours ago, AMD Snacks said:

Your routine sounds pretty similar to what I do. I carry in what I think I'll need, fill as necessary, collect $, test mechs and double check locks, clean up, leave commission I'd necessary and scoot on down the road. 

What do you mean when you say you leave a dollars worth of quarters? Do you give that to the location? 

2 hours ago, zjtaylor said:

What are you doing about your slow locations, how do you determine to pull a machine? You have any plans to do full line, etc?

I try to do the same as I've seen other people do. If it's still making some money I'll keep it until I run out of machines then I pull. I had one location that was charity doing less than the cost of the sticker tho, I pulled that one because it just wasn't worth the gas. 

45 minutes ago, jerrybrooksvendall said:

My problem on number one is that as far as product, I will over buy. Fill the machine up to full capacity, then go 2 months later to find half of it, melted or cracked! Especially peanut m&ms, and skittles!

Yeah before I added my poster board I had a lot of bad PMM too. Thankfully our weather out here isn't too extreme that it melts, just cracks if it's in the sunlight. 

7 minutes ago, QuikVend said:

What do you mean when you say you leave a dollars worth of quarters? Do you give that to the location? 

Yeah I leave a dollar or so at charity locations with the people on staff normally. Casher, mechanic, people in the breakroom. I'll offer a little cup of candy to whoever I see waiting in  a waiting area too. I figure it doesn't cost me a whole lot, most people decline the free candy anyway, and it's a nice gesture if nothing else. I'm always trying to separate myself from other vendors around by going the extra mile. 

17 minutes ago, QuikVend said:

So I'm on the reinvestment program on steroids, in hopes of growing large enough to replace my income from my full-time job at some point. 

Yeah you're growing way faster than I am, cudos on the discipline lol. What's your aim, a monetary goal or however much you can possibly handle? I'd love to be full time, but i've realized my day job is actually too convenient for the time being. 

37 minutes ago, AMD Snacks said:

Yeah I leave a dollar or so at charity locations with the people on staff normally. Casher, mechanic, people in the breakroom. I'll offer a little cup of candy to whoever I see waiting in  a waiting area too. I figure it doesn't cost me a whole lot, most people decline the free candy anyway, and it's a nice gesture if nothing else. I'm always trying to separate myself from other vendors around by going the extra mile.

Do you still pay the charity their portion also? Which charity do you use? 

39 minutes ago, AMD Snacks said:

Yeah you're growing way faster than I am, cudos on the discipline lol. What's your aim, a monetary goal or however much you can possibly handle? I'd love to be full time, but i've realized my day job is actually too convenient for the time being. 

I wouldn't say I'm disciplined as much, more like heavily motivated lol. My full-time job isn't so convenient. I figure I'm aiming for a monetary goal. Haven't really set that figure, but I know I have since time until I reach it. 

I wouldn't say I'm disciplined as much, more like heavily motivated lol. My full-time job isn't so convenient. I figure I'm aiming for a monetary goal. Haven't really set that figure, but I know I have since time until I reach it. 

As I stated before....I would like to replace my overtime at work (which helps to survive with all of my bills) I would be happy with 300 bucks a week in profit!

I want half of what BP has. I would be happy with 70 honor boxes.,50 bulk, 12 full line. That sounds about right. What do you guys think?

Depending on how good of locations you can get with that many, that could be a very nice chunk of change every month. Using my averages from my locations, that would put me roughly around $4500 a month.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Depending on how good of locations you can get with that many, that could be a very nice chunk of change every month. Using my averages from my locations, that would put me roughly around $4500 a month.

Question is with a full time job ( working 12 hour nights) how do you fit it all in without dropping over dead tired?

I made a job change last May that gave me a schedule that would allow me to grow my vending business. I decided I wanted to go for it all. Didn't take a very big hit as far as pay, I already had built a decent bulk route and had a few full line accounts as well.

With the new job, I work 3rd shift 4 days a week. And the way me and the other guy have the schedule worked out, I work 7 days then I get 6 of the next 7 off, 5 of those are consecutive. Which means I get every other weekend off as well. It gives me alot of flexibility as far as servicing, locating and going out of town for those killer deals I can't seem to say no to lol.

Plus, I have a little flexibility as far as how long my days are and my times in and out. Some weeks I only put in 32 hours, not necessarily because I want to, but because you gotta sleep sometime. Other weeks I'm working a full 40.

Occasionally I do get the perfect storm and an able to lounge around all day with very little to nothing to tend to for the day. I really like those days lol. 

Yeah I work a night shift also. I work 3 days one week (with a possibility of one day of overtime), and 4 days the next week. I have a bulk route that is easily 70 miles away that I do every other month. Basically every 2 months. These are mostly all vendstars. I have one sticker machine that does well. I did have 2, but the restaurant caught fire and I can't seem to get my machine back! I have 4 customers in neighboring Ohio, and one on the border in Michigan. Those are combo snack and pop machines.

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 8:39 PM, QuikVend said:

Do you still pay the charity their portion also? Which charity do you use? 

Yeah I still pay them their monthly commission. I use the NCCS, they're not used a lot up  here, the change for the location is kind of my way of saying thanks. Plus, I figure they buy some candy, they might buy more lol. That's the same reason I offer to people waiting aside from just being nice.

I  used to work nights too. Made locating much easier,

8 hours ago, jerrybrooksvendall said:

I want half of what BP has. I would be happy with 70 honor boxes.,50 bulk, 12 full line. That sounds about right. What do you guys think?

That sounds like a great route. I'm going the other way, I'd like 80 bulk, (including 10 racks) 50 honor and no full line. Full line is actually what drew me to vending in the first place. Never heard of bulk or thought about it. I saw a guy at a job I worked doing our soda machines and thought that seemed like a great side venture. But having to service so frequently, plus the heavy cases of soda, and machines, and cost of machines. It all seemed too much.

I wouldn't mind maybe crane machines, but seems like a small market around here for that.

19 minutes ago, AMD Snacks said:

Yeah I still pay them their monthly commission. I use the NCCS, they're not used a lot up  here, the change for the location is kind of my way of saying thanks. Plus, I figure they buy some candy, they might buy more lol. That's the same reason I offer to people waiting aside from just being nice.

I  used to work nights too. Made locating much easier,

That sounds like a great route. I'm going the other way, I'd like 80 bulk, (including 10 racks) 50 honor and no full line. Full line is actually what drew me to vending in the first place. Never heard of bulk or thought about it. I saw a guy at a job I worked doing our soda machines and thought that seemed like a great side venture. But having to service so frequently, plus the heavy cases of soda, and machines, and cost of machines. It all seemed too much.

I wouldn't mind maybe crane machines, but seems like a small market around here for that.

What's your average collection looking like? We are actually headed in the other direction toward full line and amusement. I'm getting way better rate of return despite huge cost of equipment. I wish I could get better numbers with bulk here.

My average collection for triples is about $36 more or less on 2 month cycles. My ROI is decent mainly because my machines are mainly used. Where you are finding amusement locations? I see skating rinks, bowling alleys, grocery stores, pizza places, but they're all already taken here. I figured I could probably get one, but I think it'd be really few and far between.

7 minutes ago, AMD Snacks said:

My average collection for triples is about $36 more or less on 2 month cycles. My ROI is decent mainly because my machines are mainly used. Where you are finding amusement locations? I see skating rinks, bowling alleys, grocery stores, pizza places, but they're all already taken here. I figured I could probably get one, but I think it'd be really few and far between.

Only bars right now. And only brand new locations that I got in before another operator. High license fees in SC make it unprofitable for me to operate in most types of locations. I've got 2 small arcades now, one cabinet/pin and one cabinet/pool but going forward I'm only doing pool tables and probably jukeboxes.

4 hours ago, AMD Snacks said:

Ok, that makes sense now. For some reason I thought you were giving the location the dollar to give to their charity of choice. 

10 hours ago, jerrybrooksvendall said:

Yeah I work a night shift also. I work 3 days one week (with a possibility of one day of overtime), and 4 days the next week. I have a bulk route that is easily 70 miles away that I do every other month. Basically every 2 months. These are mostly all vendstars. I have one sticker machine that does well. I did have 2, but the restaurant caught fire and I can't seem to get my machine back! I have 4 customers in neighboring Ohio, and one on the border in Michigan. Those are combo snack and pop machines.

Where are you located? Sounds like NE Indiana.

Archived