How Much Product Per Vend

T BIRD

I would like to know what setting folks use when a customer throws their quarter in for some reese's pieces or Mike and Ikes or something like that.  Can you also tell me how many pieces come out into your hand at certain settings?  Thanks gang. 

Here is one recommendation from the xyzvending.com site

What are the suggested serving size for each of the bulk candy selections for my vending machine? --Peanut M&M's: 8-10 pieces

--Plain M&M's: 12-14 pieces

--Runts: 10-12 pieces

--Skittles: 12-14 pieces

--Reese's Pieces: 12-14 pieces

--Mike & Ike: 6-8 pieces

--Chiclets: 10-12 pieces

--Cashews: 10-12 pieces

--Hot Tamales: 6-8 pieces

--Pistachios: 10-12 pieces

I actually prefer to vend 1/2 ounce of whatever I am vending.  I measure out 1 ounce by weight, then divide the number of pieces by 2. 

• 1 month later...

Now that I have settled in on A&A Elite machines to use for my routes, I have to master the candy wheels in terms of amount of product.  It seems like with every machine you have to remove a few screws to adjust the amount of vend. I'm not thrilled with that especially if I am at a location. But it is what it is.

Not sure how accurate this is but I figured I'd post this info. I got it from a top secret industry insider:D

1/2 oz.                                     1/3 oz.                              1/4 oz.

Pmm's                               6                                                4                                        3

mm's                                 17                                              11                                      9

Reese's pcs.                   17                                               11                                      9

Skittles                              14                                               9                                        7

Hot Tamales                     7                                                5                                        4

M&I's                                   7                                                5                                        4

Runts                                 12                                              8                                        6

Thanks Dacvid.  I bought a scale from Staples today to weigh 1/2 oz. of candy. I weighed Skittles, MMPs, Ike and Mikes, and Chicles.  My numbers are very similar David. I am just waiting for my Reese's Pieces to come in and weigh that and then return the scale to Staples........and get my money back. ( I learned this trick from my wife.....! ) Posted Image 

Not sure how accurate this is but I figured I'd post this info. I got it from a top secret industry insider:D

1/2 oz.                                     1/3 oz.                              1/4 oz.

Pmm's                               6                                                4                                        3

mm's                                 17                                              11                                      9

Reese's pcs.                   17                                               11                                      9

Skittles                              14                                               9                                        7

Hot Tamales                     7                                                5                                        4

M&I's                                   7                                                5                                        4

Runts                                 12                                              8                                        6

Chicles are 15 in a 1/2 oz.

• 1 year later...

For MI and HT, I really think the number of pieces should be 10/11. This is mainly due to the gum-up problem. A smaller hole for 7 pieces will cause more gum-ups and potential complaints. I vend 11/12 MI and still get a few gum-ups and some complaints.

Jax

• 5 months later...

After this post I decided to weigh my candy. Mind you I am not 100% confident in my scale, it does well for packages but at half an oz it takes some nudging.

Pieces for 1/2 oz per vend

MMs 16

Peanut MMs 7

Reeses Pieces 20

Mike & Ike 9

Hot Tomales 9

Pistachios 11

Jelly Beans 13

• 5 years later...

This is very valuable info for this newbie.  I bought a small route from someone moving to the mainland (from Hawaii), so I was pretty much on my own, learning the ropes.  I would really like to get a look at the "Percentage Pricing Spreadsheet" mentioned by Nigel44, but when I go to the page, it says I need to have one post before downloading.  So, here I am!  Thanks for all the help, members. 

• 3 weeks later...

Mary, first find your product cost per vend.

Lets say you have 54oz bag of skittles and the cost is $6.52, portion size is 1/2 oz, that's 108 servings divided by a cost of $6.52 giving you a product cost per vend of 6 cents.

For a .25c vend multiply the product cost in cents by 4 and you get the product cost in %.

For a .50c vend multiply the product cost in cents by 2 and you get the product cost in %.

For a .75c vend multiply the product cost in cents by 1.34 and you get the product cost in %.

Please tell me where you go to look at percentages. I can't find anywhere to search.

http://vendiscuss.net/index.php?/files/file/101-cost-of-goods-calculator/

This is one that is in the beginning stages, but thought it would help now. you can change anything on it, but should only need to figure out the price per pound. Add that in over the number in there and the rest will figure itself.

Hope that helps.