Timers

TKK

So im going to try a middle school with 1200 students and 100 staff. They said i can put one in the teachers lounge all day a snack machine. Im thinking a 3 wide usi. Keep.in mind i have like 20 machines in the warehouse so i dont mind trying. Then i want to put a 5 wide snack machine and a drink machine for the students, thinking of a bc300 with bottles or cans. Or maybe a 4wide newer ivend usi with a bc 300 attached to it. However it can only turn on 30 min after the bell rings. How would i do this? The snack mahine i figured a digital timer between the outlet and the wall. If i do the combo setup then i think itd be easier because the cb300 stays cold and if i turn off the snack then they cant use it. But drinks stay cold. Say i take a vendo vue 40 glass front or a newer royal, how do i do.it for the compressor to be on and not take money til then?

Newer machines have programming options to program periods of no sales, so that would be the easiest.  If you are outside of the school food rules hours, get ready for some probably YUGE sales, that is if the kids are on campus 30 minutes after class.  Do they have after school programs/ activities that will keep the kids around?  Our middle schools become ghost towns.  And, you will have problems, especially at the middle school.  1) your machines will be the target of every martial arts kick the kids think they know 2) they will put anything that they can fit into the coin/bill slots 3) they will cover the machines with graffiti 4) if the school puts you outside, you will get hit over the weekends and holidays when no one is around.   A good security cage will cut down on most of the minor stuff; but again, outside where burglars will have all weekend to attack your machines, there is no cage made that is good enough.... perhaps a full enclosure that the school will open and close for you... and that might also solve the issue of sale/no sale times IF the school can be bothered to open and close it properly.  Be sure any cage or enclosure you use has a secure top as well; I know of at least once that a student climbed into the cage thru an open top and got stuck!  Good luck!

The school said i can have them inside. Sundays the school is rented to a  church from 8 to 2 pm. Saturdays ate open for sports and all. Then they said they have alot of tutoring and afterschool activities. I think i can sell healthy stuff on regular hours but i rather do regular vending with the timmers....

On 1/27/2017 at 3:39 AM, TKK said:

The school said i can have them inside. Sundays the school is rented to a  church from 8 to 2 pm. Saturdays ate open for sports and all. Then they said they have alot of tutoring and afterschool activities. I think i can sell healthy stuff on regular hours but i rather do regular vending with the timmers....

I have some machines in a high school and do very well with zero calorie products.  I sell dasani water, coke zero, cherry coke zero, vanilla coke zero, propel water and powerade zero.  The one machine with all zero calorie products does 200 to 300 dollars a week.  The machine that only vends after school with regular calorie products only does about 50 dollars a week.

2 hours ago, darkinthepark said:

I have some machines in a high school and do very well with zero calorie products.  I sell dasani water, coke zero, cherry coke zero, vanilla coke zero, propel water and powerade zero.  The one machine with all zero calorie products does 200 to 300 dollars a week.  The machine that only vends after school with regular calorie products only does about 50 dollars a week.

I would take schools if I could feasibly do it.  Almost every school around his is part of a district and coke or [usually] pepsi has some crazy multi-year contracts.

Dark in the park, so what do u sell as far as snacks go? I think i read that drinks cant be carbonated, and some places have to be small 12oz portions. I can try to put another one that does those kind of drinks. I was thinking water, powerade zero, maybe arizona tea lol, i didnt know you could sell.coke zero and those. What snacks do you sell? For some reason their list has hot cheetos and cheetos puffs etc...

I tried the healthy snack vending at one middle school for a while.  Coke had the drink contract so I was only doing snacks, and averaging over $300 a week.  Had to jump out because the vandalism and break-ins erased all the profit plus some, and the school didn't care to provide a safer location.    Products have to meet federal standards, and finding qualifying products can be hard.  Most suppliers don't get enough demand for those items, so they only supply as special orders with large minimums.  There is a website that allows you to check the nutrition data of a product to see if it qualifies.  Then of course, you have to find the ones the kids will actually buy.  Here are some that were good for me:

Doritos reduced fat, sweet chili was best (2 cases a week!) and regular was very good.  The ranch sold but slowly.

Cheese Its Whole wheat.

Popcorners

Welch's fruit snacks (only the fruit puree varieties qualify)

Cocoa Puffs Cereal bars did OK

Healthy varieties of Rice Krispies treats and pop tarts also did OK and have long shelf life.

Thank you southeast....so would u recomend 2 sets? Like a combo w regular drinks and snacks after the bell and a 5 wide and drink machine with healthy snacks and water drinks during the whole day?

7 hours ago, AngryChris said:

I would take schools if I could feasibly do it.  Almost every school around his is part of a district and coke or [usually] pepsi has some crazy multi-year contracts.

Pepsi was in our school...but they stopped giving us a commission a few years ago, so the principal allowed me to take over vending.  The school had no signed contract with Pepsi so at the end of last school year, we just told them to come and get their machines.

7 hours ago, TKK said:

Dark in the park, so what do u sell as far as snacks go? I think i read that drinks cant be carbonated, and some places have to be small 12oz portions. I can try to put another one that does those kind of drinks. I was thinking water, powerade zero, maybe arizona tea lol, i didnt know you could sell.coke zero and those. What snacks do you sell? For some reason their list has hot cheetos and cheetos puffs etc...

I do not handle snacks.  The cafeteria has several snack machines and they run those.  They carry nature valley bars, some cereal bars, baked lays chips, low fat doritos, uncrustables, and some beef jerky.  As far as drinks, there is no regulation on carbonated drinks and caffeine for secondary schools.  You just need to make sure the drink is no more than 50 calories per serving.  With the zero products, everything qualifies.  I don't sell sprite zero because that didn't do well.  Also, the Arizona Tea didn't do well when I offered that.

If the school will give you safe locations, you will probably do very well with that setup to start.  Get your product sources lined up and remember, school is seasonal, so you will have to plan for gaps at summer, winter, and spring.  You don't want to get caught with a bunch of short dated product going into vacation time, because it just won't sell anywhere else....

1 hour ago, Southeast Treats said:

If the school will give you safe locations, you will probably do very well with that setup to start.  Get your product sources lined up and remember, school is seasonal, so you will have to plan for gaps at summer, winter, and spring.  You don't want to get caught with a bunch of short dated product going into vacation time, because it just won't sell anywhere else....

Our school has dozens of security cameras.  All of my machines are located inside the building in view of security cameras.  

What happens if u stock something not qualified? Will they fine you or just tell you to get rid of the selections? They dont seem to know what goes in, i can try to go as healthy as i can but the nutricion person from.the district wasnt much help. The cafeteria manager sebt me a small list which included hot cheetos and doritos? They want the machines in now. But my question is say i sell the healthier stuff and i accidentaly put something that shouldnt go there then what? 

Just use the product calculator in the link above to check products for compliance and you'll be fine.  With Trump in office, I don't think anyone will come after you with an occasional product above calorie limits.  Here is a picture of one of the snack machines in our high school cafeteria.  All the products in the machine are in compliance with nutritional guidelines for the state of PA.

vending.jpg

19 hours ago, AZVendor said:

In other words....that's it?  Nothing else can be sold? ^_^

Surely more can be sold than what they put in their machines...it's just that the cafeteria ladies hate the vending machines because the products get stuck in there sometimes and they have to get them out for the kids.  They have 4 of those AP123's and they only stock them half full.  Next year they are getting rid of all their vending machines and having a cafeteria worker at a snack line all day.  I am going to try to buy a few of these machines from them when they remove them from the cafe.  

Thank you. I know high schools are alot less stricter than middle schools though right? Ill stick to the list, and ride it out maybe no one even notices anything.  

8 hours ago, TKK said:

Thank you. I know high schools are alot less stricter than middle schools though right? Ill stick to the list, and ride it out maybe no one even notices anything.  

Middle schools and high schools have fairly close regulations.  It gets much more stringent at elementary level.

So i set them up and woww. Just from 7am to 1pm the pair made $160. 

However i just found out i do need timers after their second lunch is over. So sales will drop alot. Still think they will do good. On the snack well thats easy just a walmart timer. But the royal glassfront do u guys know how to do that? Is it in settings? Or can i put a physical timer and leave the compressor on 24 7

As far as enforcement -my understanding (I am NOT a lawyer!)  the school is liable to lose federal funds if they are non-compliant, the vendor is not at risk unless you allow yourself to be roped into a contract that makes you liable.  Of course, if the school gets in trouble over your vending machines, you can expect to have them thrown out the same day!!

8 hours ago, TKK said:

So i set them up and woww. Just from 7am to 1pm the pair made $160. 

However i just found out i do need timers after their second lunch is over. So sales will drop alot. Still think they will do good. On the snack well thats easy just a walmart timer. But the royal glassfront do u guys know how to do that? Is it in settings? Or can i put a physical timer and leave the compressor on 24 7

The nice thing about the timer programming in the royal machines is that you can select which selections you want to turn off at certain times.  Also, the display will give a message as to when the machine will vend that product..such as "no vend til 3:30"  Here's the page from the manual that I used to program my Merlin iV.  The programming is virtually the same for the giii.

programming.thumb.JPG.7562d619adbd16beee881ebf894aa331.JPG

The thing is my royal is a glassfront. I went through the options and it had timing option but it was more like set current day and time, then refridgerator or compressor timer and light timer. But none for the actual machine :( the manuals on the front sont show how to program the timmers. I ended up putting an actual digital timmer that turns off the machines from 730am to 130pm. Im hoping the product stays cold for those 6 hours? I tried to connect the xompressor but the plug isnt the normal type of plug that has the prongs.  The sales were crazy. Some stuff was sold out. $290 combined sales in one day. Cutting it down to after lunch from 130 to 7am my reposrts show they made $160 so thats still like 4k a month gross! 

Archived