Dixie Narco 100-5

Todd23

I just bought a Dixie Narco 100-5 cheap (in my mind).  The wiring looks to be disconnected inside at the dispensers but not the flavor labels.  I also believe they must have disconnected the coin operations because it falls straight down to the pan at the bottom of the machine. My question is whether there is a manual I could get that would help in rewiring and repairing the machine.  I don't know the complexity or ease of finding parts but I have worked on many things; Cars, computers, phones etc and am usually able to learn my way around.  

Thanks for any advice.  

I like the machine and hope to save it.  

Thank you for the manual.

I paid $50.  He was going to scrap it and I honestly just didn't want to see it thrown out.  I am not sure if I need a coin mechanism, rewiring etc. if it's not better for me to take it to the scrap yard.  If I am willing to spend $300 on it, does anyone think I can salvage it to put at my house for the kids?  

Thank you.  

If I can restore it to working order,  I'm also curious about a part supplier.  I need a new coin acceptor for sure.  The wires look OK (but disconnected) but I wonder about rewirring it with a new wiring harness if it is sold.  I'm new to this so any advice is appreciated.  If someone says take it to the scrap yard, that's OK too.  Just looking for help.  

In my opinion, if you look on it as a project, and not as a business, then yes, it's worth playing around with.

It's not going to be a collectible for a few decades yet, but as a home use machine will probably work out (and be able to be sold to someones man cave when you tire of it).

Probably the first thing is make sure the refrigeration works - if it doesn't then I wouldn't put any money into it .

The wiring is fairly simple, you should be able to fix wiring issues provided you know how to use a multimeter.

Electro-mechanical parts like switches can probably be cleaned in the first instance.

If things like motors don't work it's likely one, rather than all that have failed.

Electrically you can bypass the coin mech to make it free vend, then work on the mech.

I'm not in the US so don't know how easy it is to get a compatible coin mech, but I'm sure someone will advise. The original compatible mechs are usually listed inside the machine near where the mech wold be.

re the coin mech, if it is powered up but all coins go straight to coin return, you could have a bad mech, but there are other issues.  It may already be set to free vend, for example, so it would not accept any money.  A coin mech usually has to read a valid coin and see a valid purchase amount before it will act to accept a coin.   Good luck on the project!

44 minutes ago, Todd23 said:

If I can restore it to working order,  I'm also curious about a part supplier.  I need a new coin acceptor for sure.  The wires look OK (but disconnected) but I wonder about rewirring it with a new wiring harness if it is sold.  I'm new to this so any advice is appreciated.  If someone says take it to the scrap yard, that's OK too.  Just looking for help.  

I can help you with a changer. AS far as a manual is concerned, the one that AZ posted above is as good as it gets. Changer isn't going to work unless motor switches, sold out switches, and selection switches are wired correctly. There should be a wiring diagram on the inner door. Also, if you could post some pics it might help us.

The coin changer is not there at all.  Once it goes in the slot it falls straight to the box.   So they removed it.  I'll post pics of the inside of it when I get home.  They machine does run very quietly when pluggged in but since the wires are not connected I cannot get buttons to work.  That will be the first step in seeing if I can get power to the mechanism that drops the cans. (Forgive me for not knowing the names of these parts yet).  I wouldn't say I am a master of anything but I've worked on engines, laptops, have taken Iphones a part and replaced screens etc.  I work on all my equipment tractors, mowers ... So I'm not afraid of this task.  I just don't know what the death sentence is for one.  Of if there is one?  The machine doesn't leak but I do question if it might need freon or if the thrromstat is bad.  Like I said it runs but I do not feel cold air running out of it.  The guy who had it was in a building we own and it was sitting unplugged for years in a back room.  As he was moving I spotted it. He said he would take $50 for it and I told him to leave it when he loved out. So now its the challenge of reviving it UNLESS someone says (blank) not working is the death sentence of the machine and do not even mess with it.  I may be able to post a few pics I have right now of the outside of it.     

1 hour ago, Todd23 said:

The coin changer is not there at all.  Once it goes in the slot it falls straight to the box.   So they removed it.  I'll post pics of the inside of it when I get home.  They machine does run very quietly when pluggged in but since the wires are not connected I cannot get buttons to work.  That will be the first step in seeing if I can get power to the mechanism that drops the cans. (Forgive me for not knowing the names of these parts yet).  I wouldn't say I am a master of anything but I've worked on engines, laptops, have taken Iphones a part and replaced screens etc.  I work on all my equipment tractors, mowers ... So I'm not afraid of this task.  I just don't know what the death sentence is for one.  Of if there is one?  The machine doesn't leak but I do question if it might need freon or if the thrromstat is bad.  Like I said it runs but I do not feel cold air running out of it.  The guy who had it was in a building we own and it was sitting unplugged for years in a back room.  As he was moving I spotted it. He said he would take $50 for it and I told him to leave it when he loved out. So now its the challenge of reviving it UNLESS someone says (blank) not working is the death sentence of the machine and do not even mess with it.  I may be able to post a few pics I have right now of the outside of it.     

Well, now that you're into it, the first step would be to ensure the that the chill deck is in fact working before you drop another nickel on this thing.  Had you asked us about it up front I think we'd all have told you to pass.  The big downside here is that the machine could never be worth more than $150 even if you did manage to get it working.  my advice would be to scrap it for anything you can get and use that $300 to get a working single price Dixie if you really want a soda machine.

I wish I had known this site was here before I got it. Lol.  Now I need to find out of the chill deck is working so I'll research how to do that.  I have a by I use to put freon in ice cream coolers but this may be different.  

33 minutes ago, Todd23 said:

Here's one pic of the connections at the top.   The wires that attach are laying above.   They were not connected.   

That appears to be for the sold out lights. No harm so far.

11 minutes ago, lacanteen said:

That appears to be for the sold out lights. No harm so far.

So the wires in the picture running from the back of the flavor labels are just to each dispenser to signal sold out?  Or are they the ones that signal it to drop the product out?   

I'm about determined to not quit on this thing.  I don't look at it as an investment.   I've entered my danger zone of bringing something back from the dead because I feel the challenge of it is greater than the cost.  :D

6 minutes ago, Todd23 said:

So the wires in the picture running from the back of the flavor labels are just to each dispenser to signal sold out?  Or are they the ones that signal it to drop the product out?   

They appear to be for the light indicating a selection is sold out. Looking at the button from the back, top right there is a small light module. Bottom center is the selection switch. That activates the columns. You want them all to click when the button is pushed.

We'll need to see the motor stack to determine its condition. Is the motor cover removed?

In my 32 years in vending I've never seen a DN machine that old and I've seen tons of old machines.  The way things plug into the inner door and the motors themselves which are uniquely different make me think you should just be glad you only wasted $50 on it and junk it.  You can get a much newer DN machine for $200-300 that actually works and save yourself the headaches that this one will be.  

I liked it because it was small. I don't think I can get one in my area for $300. On Craigslist they are $600-$700. I'm in East Tennessee. Maybe I don't know a good place to get them though.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Archived