CB 300 not cooling.

AngryChris

So I got a call about a luke-warm machine. To my surprise, I found the evaporator shroud tilted at an odd angle and airflow was not properly directed. The very thin line "capillary?" Was iced over towards the back of the cabinet and managed to freeze the leads to the thermostat. I had neglected to insert the screw into part of the shroud.

My question is.. does this sound like a simple shroud problem? This deck was working fine after sitting for six months, and was working fine on location for 2 weeks now, last checked 3 weeks ago.  I'm waiting for the evaporator fan to do its job before I can go any further.  None of the other lines are cold.  I can't tell much more without taking the deck out but I don't recall the shroud being crooked 2 days ago.  I'm thinking the shroud fell sometime yesterday and it hasn't been cooling since, but I'm not sure why only one section would ice up and not the most likely section.

I did set the thermostat back to normal (around 1.5).  I could not get the compressor to click, but I think that's because it was already off and not even the highest setting would turn it on with ice on the leads.  That's when I discovered the ice and I turned it all the way to zero until the ice was evaporated (approximately 20 minutes).  I then put it back to between 1.5 and 2 just to check for a click and put it back in the middle of the "normal" range markings, which is where it was before.  I'm pretty confident that it will be cooling tomorrow.  I personally haven't ever had a shroud come loose and cause a freezing issue so it never occurred to me that it was a possibility.  In fact, I am really curious to know how the shroud affects the air flow.  I'm guessing it's all about creating enough suction to pull the air from all around the evaporator coils through the fan and into the upper cabinet where the cans are, but I really don't know the dynamics of it.

A drier restriction in one of those units may mean that the coating inside your line may be coming off.  I've seen that happen before in these units so be prepared to buy an entire cooling unit if it gets restricted again.

Archived