Compressor fan constantly powering up and turning off

I have a Dixie Narco 501e where the compressor fan will power up and within a few seconds will shut itself off. A few minutes later it'll do it again and it does this all day long. The thermostat has been temporarily unplugged so this issue won't burn out the fan motor and the constant powering up has stopped.

One person I spoke to thought it was low refrigerant and another repair person thought the cooling deck needs replacing and would cost $450.

Any thoughts? Additional opinions on the problem are greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance

The fan and compressor should be wired in parallel. When the fan turns on, the compressor should as well. That being said, they both should work independent of each other. So it sounds as a control issue. Ie: thermostat, bad fan, bad connection or something along those lines. You can test the fan by supplying 110v directly to the fan and see if it stays running. It a simple circuit. 110v supplied, fan and compressor runs. 

The condenser fan won't come on by itself, it only should run when the thermostat calls for cooling by the entire cooling deck. So your compressor must also be getting power, whether it starts or not.  This short-cycling is the fault of the thermostat.  It is either a bad thermostat, wrong thermostat, one that is set too low (should be at 3 1/2) or the capillary tube on a correct thermostat is incorrectly placed and not inserted into the slit in the back of the evaporator plenum.  Also don't let the capillary tube contact metal other than where it is inserted in the plenum.  

All that said, your thermostat is probably bad.  Unplugging the thermostat proved it.  You can email me at rbepic4gatgmaildotcom if you need a replacement.

Thank you both for the quick replies

AZVendor, this issue began in January and didn't fix it immediately since it was so cold outside. I plugged the thermostat back in for the first time since Jan. and it seems to shut off even more quickly (about 0.5 - 1 seconds). And changing the thermostat setting didn't help either.

You said I might have the wrong thermostat and I think you're right cuz all the online replacements look pretty different than what I got. Here's 2 pictures

I will email and purchase this part from you.

You've helped me several times before and greatly appreciate it.

dn501e-therm1.jpg

dn501e-therm2.jpg

This really should be easy to diagnose. Let's not just guess and throw parts at it. 

You should be able to plug the refer system into an extension cord and eliminate any controls from the machine. This would supply 110v to the fan and compressor. If everything works then we look at the cabinet circuit. If it doesnt work we have an issue in the refer system. 

Here's my concern. Reading your original post and subsequent posts I'm not convinced that what you are hearing is the fan. Have you physically pulled the deck out and looked at the system while running? Have you seen the fan start and stop? Does the compressor stay running while fan starts and stops?

This is what needs to be answered to really diagnose the root issue.

If you are going by sound alone, it is entirely possible that your compressor is trying to start and then trips the overload. This would give you a short buzzing sound, a click and the. Start again all over again shortly thereafter. Why no fan noise? Maybe the fan seized, overheated the compressor and left you with this. 

So before you buy a thermostat, then a fan and what not. Take the time to properly diagnose you problem and save some money. The 2 people you spoke to (or hired to look at) both gave you a Refrigeration diagnoses.....Maybe they are right

Hey Technivend,

I've only been doing this for 2 yrs and managing only 1 machine so far. The cooling deck is plugged directly into an outside wall outlet and the thermostat is plugged into its own outlet from inside the machine.

Every time I re-plugged the thermostat in, the fan would begin spinning and at the same time I'd hear what sound like the refrigeration powering up as well.. After I unplugged the thermostat I haven't heard nor seen either the fan or cooling deck power on.

I hope this clarifies things

You aren't describing it correctly.  There is a power plug outlet for the compressor power cord inside the machine as parts of the internal main power harness.  It is an outlet that is switched by the thermostat.  While you can plug the compressor into an external extension cord for testing it will then not be controlled by the thermostat.   The compressor is wired properly if when you turn on the thermostat you hear the condenser fan under the cabinet and the compressor turn on.  

1.  If you get short cycling of the fan AND the compressor together then your problem is the thermostat.  

2.  If the fan stays on but ONLY the compressor short cycles then you have a bad compressor, but only as long as the fan is putting out good air flow from the back of the machine.  

3.  If you can't feel the air blowing out the back of the machine then you have a weak fan motor or a clogged condenser (radiator-looking part in the front.)

If the symptoms are as I described in #1 above then I can send you a thermostat.  If you get #2 above then you need to get your compressor replaced.  If you have #3 above then first check whether you can see light through the condenser.  If not then you need to hose it out with water or blow it out with a compressor air hose.  If the condenser is clear then you would need a fan motor which I can also send you.

@AZVendor 

After having the machine for the 1st week (2 years ago), I accidentally plugged the cooling deck straight into the wall outlet and it ran nonstop. Every other day I had to dig ice and snow out due to it blocking cold air flow. I guess it's kinda funny now looking back at my mistake, but it sure wasn't funny while it was happening. LOL

For testing purposes I plugged the condenser directly into the wall outlet again earlier tonight. To the best of my knowledge the thermostat has been cut completely out of the equation. The problem of the fan turning on and off repeatedly continued yet again. I also managed to see light thru the compressor just fine as you suggested.

Not sure if this is helpful info but since the fan won't stay on, i decided to temporarily place a box fan behind it and I didn't feel much cold air coming forward.

My main job is totally different from this line of work. I agreed to help my elderly father manage the soda machine while my other siblings are helping him with other jobs. Obviously I have limited tools and know-how so I appreciate your patience with me.

I hope this finally gives a clearer picture as to what may be going on.

If you plugged the machine directly into a 110 volt power source and the fan turns on and off you probably have a bad fan. You could always remove the fan and supply it directly with power to test but at this point it sounds like you a bad fan. They can spool up, vibrate, slow down, spool up, vibrate, slow down, etc.

I would swap that first. 

It's obvious you don't have experience with machines and limited tools and know-how.  You either need to call a vending repairman or tackle this yourself.  The fan behind the machine won't help much because you need forced air through the condenser itself to cool the freon.  That air flow is always warm to begin with, only the air in the cabinet should be cold.   

You should unplug the machine before you burn the compressor up with this Mickey Mousing around.  

Archived