At what point do you buy a coin counter

lurtsman

vending since 2006, I make around 90% of my through full line vending, the bulk side to the business is just there because it is what got me started in vending and for the tiny amount of time to service I figure its worth holding on to.

I use a scale at each commission location.  Its a great device to have and utilize.  I give locations loose coins.  Sometimes they want more quarters which I give them when asked.  I have found that the bags you get at a supermarket?.......come in so handy when giving out quarters etc.  BJs sells a box of one thousand of them for 9 bucks.  The bags are great for putting one over a NW60 head or Oak head and turning the cannister upside down to empty it quickly and cleanly when changing product.

All of my commission spots are Ma and Pa type stores.  So they use quarters all the time.

i have been putting off buying a coin counter, i should have bought one a long time ago. the reason I have been able to put it off is because I got a bank account at a bank that will run my coins through their counter for free.call a few banks, you will find a few will do this for you. so I really dont need one immediately.

My accounts are small enough I can hand count to see each location does. :( but I signed up with a bank that has a free coin counter. I'm waiting for a referral program before I make all my friends get accounts (that includes this forum). So if I do get big enough accounts I will get zip up currency bags for each big location then just dump and tally.

• 6 years later...

I purchased a coin counter for 89 dollars at Sams club. Nice one. Very happy with it. I usually just take the money to my car, dump it in the machine and let the digital display show me how much I have. Then I pay their commission and put the results in my notepad. Then I drive onto the next place. Fills about 4 rolls of in minute. It also separates all the other change too of course.

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

How do you get the coins in a roll after it counts them?

I'm guessing you're talking about this one?

Edited by AMD Snacks

You purchase rolls seperately. Then you place the rolls in the tubes and as the machine counts them, it puts them in the rolls. When the roll reaches 10 dollars in pushes the next tube in place automatically and continues to count.

You purchase rolls seperately. Then you place the rolls in the tubes and as the machine counts them, it puts them in the rolls. When the roll reaches 10 dollars in pushes the next tube in place automatically and continues to count.

• Like 1

Nope just cylinder rolls which are the rolls that have the bottoms already rolled up. Only those ones will work with the machine. I just ordered a case of 1000 off amazon for 18 bucks.

2e8a148d2b2d1bd0b92acae006dc548a.jpg

Edited by mppuzzled
  • Like 1

sweet, I know it's a bit overkill, but sounds like a time saver, and would look pretty fancy at my commission locations. I've seen that thing at sams, just didn't know how durable it was.

How do you get the coins in a roll after it counts them?

I'm guessing you're talking about this one?

Yes that is the one

Just remember that you have to plug it in. Luckily for me I have a 110 volt outlet on my truck. So I would suggest buying an 110 volt adapter for about 25 bucks that attaches to your cigarette outlet allowing you to plug just about anything in it.

Why would you count your money in your truck?  That's much less secure than doing it in the location (which would only be if you pay a commission on the spot) or at home or your shop in privacy.

I count them in my truck so I don't disturb their business and the customers in there. The coin counter can make a lot of noise and can be distracting. I count them on the spot instead of taking home to count so that they can get their share right away and feel better about it and so that I don't have to take the money home and then come back with their money. But mainly to not disturb their business.

This is what I have always done, which is probably because on my first servicing the owner asked me if I could count the money in my car. So I've done it ever since.

. I usually just take the money to my car, dump it in the machine and let the digital display show me how much I have. Then I pay their commission and put the results in my notepad. Then I drive onto the next place.

Is this unit portable? I'm seeing it only as able to plug in, not battery powered...

Right. Has to be plugged in. Read my post above about that.

Yep, didn't see that part of your message thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

why not use a coin scale for locations? there are banks in many areas that will do coin for free. Talk to a community bank or a credit union. If they say no, talk to the bank manager, explain that you're small vending business and if they have a coin counter most will do it. 

Any Wells Fargo will that is a stand alone bank. This is up to 3000 a month. After that they have other rates or a percentage.

• 4 weeks later...

I purchased a coin counter for 89 dollars at Sams club. Nice one. Very happy with it. I usually just take the money to my car, dump it in the machine and let the digital display show me how much I have. Then I pay their commission and put the results in my notepad. Then I drive onto the next place. Fills about 4 rolls of in minute. It also separates all the other change too of course.

Just picked up this exact machine at a bargain outlet. Saved $30! Just ran my recent collection through, and it saved a ton of time. I'll be doing my monthly collection on my bulk next week, so we'll see how it holds up, but I've been using the flat wraps just fine. Just put them in after they fill the tubes.