Locating: Scripts, Objections, Rebuttals, Success.

BudLeiser

Bud,

Great topic.  If we could still give respect I would give it!

The truth is we have gone through around 30 revisions to our script over here at KS.  Each time changing it just a little bit.  So while I don't want to divulge our entire script, I will give you some key tips. 

1.  First, we always call them Candy Machines now so people don't think it's a little dispenser that sits on the counter. 

2.  When we call we always first ask "Is the Owner or Manager in?"

3.  We use the Owners / Managers first name as many times in the script as possible.  It may be cheesy but it shows respect and builds rapport. 

Anyway, I'll see how this topic develops and maybe I'll throw in some other stuff!  One of our motto's is to have fun on the phone.  This job can be tedious so you need to break it up.  We definitely have some spirited conversations over here!

Regards,

Rob

Direct Mailer:

(Picture of a vending machine)

Dear Owner/Manager,

These cute little vending machines need happy homes. With just 2 square feet of floor space we can support a good cause. Each month I will come service my machine, clean it, and restock it. Each machine I place helps support the National Children's Cancer Society. (www.children-cancer.org for more info)

No Cost.

No Time.

No Labor.

No Commitment.

(Name, email, phone)

[move]Warning: $50 later in mailing supplies and stamps and no luck with this yet. [/move]

• Like 1

Hey Bud,

Keep us posted on those direct mailers.  I've thought about it too and wondered how successful it would be. 

Good luck with everything.

All of them went out monday. So by wed/thur they should have arrived. And if they didnt call right away their not going to. So my only hope at ths point is it might soften them up. Then when someone pitches it will be an easier close. I wrote the bus names down so i dont waste money mailing them again but i should have copied phone numbers too so i/locators could do follow ups.

CMON GUYS i know you all have pitches scripts and rebuttals chime in!

The most effective pitches are the ones that emphasize the charity and de-emphasizes any  sales spiel.  That is what the locators do and you will need to get comfortable with that type of spin.  Businesses get solicited every day and get tired of sales pitches.  So forget about placing a machine from Joe's vending in the location, but rather donating a square foot of floor space to help a charity.

By the way, if YOU check the back posts, I believe that I gave a sample based on that concept!

Jax

• Like 1

Bulk mailings rarely work in vending - been there done that!  The only time that they can work is when you have a specific product targeted to a very specific type of account.  An example (made up) would be to send a post card with Adopt-A-Puppies to a vet or animal shelter and then MAYBE one or two will call.  But sending a generic post card for a simple candy machine to restaurants and pizza joints will rarely generate a single phone call.  And you are correct, if you get no calls in 48 hours, then you will most likely never get one.  However, the Postal Service is very happy to deliver them!

Jax

Jax: im not looking/asking for just one pitch so i didn't search for one. I'm trying to start a thread with lots of pitches/scripts for us to learn from.

"Hello, we are in your area today doing some fund raising for XYZ charity. Now we are not asking for any money, but can you donate a small one foot area of space for a small candy dispenser? We provide the products and do all of the servicing."

Critique: as jax pointed out this locatorish pitch leads then to thinking you are the charity not a vendor and it fails to mention candy machibe so they will think they are approving a table top dispenser.

• Like 1

Bob Butler Face2Face:

"Hi, I'm Bob Butler, my wife and I operate a gumball and small prize vending machine route. I stopped by because one of our machines would do well in a nice location as yours. You'll like us ... most folks do. And the good part about us is that while other salesmen are coming in trying to sell you something ... we'll be coming in to pay you 25% of every coin that's in the (this) machine. ........................... Where'd you like me to put it? ... is that corner OK?"

Markvend Face2Face

"Hello, our company _____________  places the little quarter gumball and candy machines for the (-----------charity).  It's free - doesn't cost you anything and we're responsible for the machine.  Would you allow us to place one here?"

G-man422 Telemarketing:

Hello, this is Gabe from Gabe's Vending.  I'm working with the local homeless shelter trying to get small candy machines placed in businesses throughout town.  I was wondering If we could set up a meeting for me to tell you more?

Alan Sampson Telemarketing:

Hi, Is the manager in?.......  Hi, My name is Alan .  I'm calling on behalf of BASE Camp Children's Cancer Foundation in South Florida. We provide a year-round base of support for children and families dealing with cancer............( wait for reply )......the reason I am calling is we are not asking for any money we were just asking if you could donate a square foot of floor space for a small gumball machine that supports the kids. We fill it up and service the machine about once a month.  It's completely free for you and it supports the kids at BASE CAMP. We have someone in the immediate area and would like to show you how well they would look in your business. Can our service rep show you the machine today? He is in your neighborhood now.

Lucero Face2Face:

Good afternoon, how are you?  [Handshake].  My name is Ché, and I participate in a vending-outreach program with a charity called Local Hunger Ltd.  Each machine I place generates between 80-100 pounds of food a year IN THIS STATE.  The charity is based in GA, so the money collected locally goes to them first, and then is distributed as food to local soup kitchens and shelters.  Would you be interested in hosting a small machine here in your store?  You know the type, they only take up about this much at the base [show with hands], and the head is about this big [gesticulate again].'

If they haven't started shaking their head vigorously halfway though, I'll say:

'I normally start a location off with a double-head, and there are quite a few candy possibilities.  What is your favorite candy?  I can do PM&Ms, Runts, Skittles, Mike & Ikes.  (This will usually get a yes on one of them, or they'll offer their favorite). Oh, also, do you like Jelly Belly Jelly Beans(who the hell doesn't)?  They actually make gumballs that taste EXACTLY like the jelly beans, does that sound good to you?'

Flipside Telemarketing:

Hi, my name is Philip, and i'm saving for college through gumball and candy vending machines. I was wondering if my neiborhood (location here) would be interested in putting in a candy mahine that helps me save for college that I service.

Joebob Face2Face:

"Hi, I'm Joe (no last name - keeps it less formal) from JKL Vending. We work with the National Children's Cancer Society, (I hand them a placement letter and my card). We're not looking for a donation or anything, but we were wondering if you'd allow us to place a small candy machine over there by the entrance (pointing to where I want to put the machine), or perhaps your breakroom. There's no obligation or anything and If at anytime you decide you don't want it we'll come pick it up no questions asked.

If I get an " I don't know" I then let them know that we have a special promotion going on and if they allow us to place  the machine there for 2 weeks we are giving away a $20 gift card to Papa Johns. I put the gift card in their hand as I tell them about it. It forces a decison. If they say no...They have to give the gift card that was in their possession back to you.

I hope this helps people get started and provides a more or less one stop shop for scripts, lines and ideas. But if no one else posts, gives new ideas and new scripts then it will eventually fall out of sight and out of use. Your lines, advice,  and scripts don't need to be ground breaking or entirely new. Even putting different parts in at different times can make a difference and ease the flow.

One thing you will notice is almost all of these include Charity and Candy. It would be great to see how the spiels differ when you change up those common themes. How would your candy pitch look without a charity? How would you charity pitch look with something besides candy?

• Like 1

Jax: im not looking/asking for just one pitch so i didn't search for one. I'm trying to start a thread with lots of pitches/scripts for us to learn from.

"Hello, we are in your area today doing some fund raising for XYZ charity. Now we are not asking for any money, but can you donate a small one foot area of space for a small candy dispenser? We provide the products and do all of the servicing."

Critique: as jax pointed out this locatorish pitch leads then to thinking you are the charity not a vendor and it fails to mention candy machibe so they will think they are approving a table top dispenser.

I have to respectfully disagree with using the word "machine" rather than "dispenser".  Many times, the word "machine" is mistaken for a larger snack machine.  The fact that we are asking for a foot of space implies a free-standing device.  Maybe to be clearer, we should emphasize floor space or free-standing candy dispenser.  I always avoid using the words "vending", "machine" and "gumball".

Jax

I just converted most of the above scripts to flat vend telemarketing scripts.

Hello could I speak to the owner or manager please?  I am calling on behalf of the National Children's Cancer Society.  Would you be kind enough to allow us to place a small sticker vendor at your business?  A portion of the proceeds are sent to the National Children's Cancer Society.  There is no cost to you, no fees, we fill and service the machine monthly.

Hello, my name is ______, with the Bud Leiser vending company.  I am calling to place a small sticker vendor.  This vendor helps benefit the National Children's Cancer Society.  They help parents of children fighting cancer by providing financial and emotional support, paying for medications not covered by insurance and providing housing when treatments are far from home among many other things.  The machine would have their sticker on the front and part of the proceeds goes to benefit this charity.  The machine is very small only 2 square feet.  Nothing will cost you any money.  If you allow us to put the machine in your lobby, we will come out clean, fill, and maintain it once a month.  If you need us before then, we will leave our number for you to call at anytime.  Would you like us to deliver it Wednesday or Saturday? Remember there is never any cost to you.

Hello my name is _____, I'm working to help the The National Children's Cancer Society. We are placing sticker vendors in local businesses and I was hoping you could help us out by letting us setup a small machine. Of course we will take care of servicing the machine. We will come by about once a month to refill it and clean it up. If there are any problems during the month just give us a call and we will come take care of it.

"Hi, I'm with a local vending company and we are helping the National Children's Cancer Society to help raise funds and bring awareness by placing machines like this in locations like the one you have. There is no cost to you and we spend the time once a month to service, clean and refill the machines.  You don't have to do anything, and there's no obligation to you.  Do you think you can donate a small 2 square feet of floorspace to help the National Children's Cancer Society"?

"Hi, my name is ______. I'm with Bud's vending company. Our business works in conjunction with the National Children's Cancer Society to help children and their parents fight cancer. The National Children's Cancer Society provides financial and emotional support to the parents of children with cancer. By placing a sticker vendor in your restaurant it will raise money each month for the National Children's Cancer Society, as well as provide a great service to your customers. Of course you would have no obligation or cost. We will maintain, refill and clean the machine on a regular basis."

Theaters, Bowling Alleys, Malls, Skating Rinks, Chinese Buffet, Mexican Buffet.

"Hi, I'm _______, my friend Bud operates a toy and candy vendor route. I called because one of his machines would do well in a nice location such as yours. You'll like Bud ... most folks do. And the good part about Bud is that while other salesmen are calling to try to sell you something ... Bud will be coming in to pay you 25% of every coin that's in his machine! And there is no cost to you ........................... Is Wednesday or Saturday a better day for Bud to deliver? Remember there is never a cost to you.

Objection:

Not enough room. No space. We don't have room for one.

Rebuttal: Many places think they are to small to fit a sticker vending machine. We have one in a Pizza place that is very small. As soon as you walk in the front door the front counter is right in front of you.The machines are not so big, each one is only 2 feet wide and just 4 feet tall. Would you like a representative show you the machine on Wednesday or Saturday?

Great great info guys!

Steve-Any chance of getting this made a sticky?

I thought I had my spiel down, but there are some great tips here!

Thanks folks.

Merc

I have added this thread to the "Noteworthy Topics" rotation in the upper left of the board.

Jarola Craigslist/Direct Mailer

If you are a business in CITY1, CITY2 or anywhere in-between we can provide a Gum/Candy machine on a stand for your business at absolutely no cost to you. This is not promotional and we will never charge for our services. We are a professional Gumball/Candy machine business. We clean, service, and fill the machine at no cost to you. We offer a commission scale, but most of our locations prefer to have their commission donated to CHARITY1. We use only the highest quality machines. NO PLASTIC BIZ-OP JUNK! COMPANYNAME1  retains all rights and privedges as the machine owner.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I know this topic is an older on but I just wanted to say wow. That was alot of very usefull information. I will definatly use alot of that. I see alot of the advice deals with nccs. I've allready got my stickers from them. I cant wait to get started. I'm going slow so I dont make to many mistakes.

Thanks for all the info

Brian Rawson

• 4 months later...

Use a charity spiel and make sure it sounds something like this:

"Hi, can I please place a candy machine in your nice restrant?  100% of the gross revenue gets donated to the National Children's Cancer Society.  See the sticker here?"

• Like 1

I just don't like the thought of selling a charity in order to sell your product. 

Anyways, this has worked quite successfully for me,

"Hey there, does the owner happen to be around?"

"Yes, I'm him"

"Excellent.  I'm Greg and I own a small vending business.  I think a gumball (candy, toy, sticker) machine would do great here.  Would you like to give it a shot?  Commission is 20% (et cetera).

Obviously you'll get some questions but just answer them honestly.  I secured four locations yesterday while visiting seven and my overall rate is 11 of 19.  Just be friendly and polite people will be friendly and polite back to you.  Also, a big smile never hurts (I did many push ups in the military for my grin that I could not control).

Also, don't sweat the small things.  Everyone runs into a few pricks eventually.  Those people are always pricks, so don't take it personally.