Need advice for purchasing route

Mettle

I am about to get a SMOKING deal on a route but when I purchase the route the previous owner would then tell me the locations. I feel pretty good about this deal as the seller and myself are communicating through email nicely but I want to know where some of the locations are just so I can be sure about it. I'm not asking to see all of the locations because of safety and profitability issues that could affect the seller. Is it unreasonable to ask just to see if  machines is there or if I am refused should I just run away from this deal...by the way did I mention that this is the most SMOKING deal I have ever heard of...but I don't think it is too good to be true. Any advice would be appreciated. BTW I already emailed the seller with my request to see locations about 10 minutes ago.

Thank you in advance!

Sorry for being dumb but what is a noncompete?

It's a written agreement for a specified length of time that neither party will go after each other's business, in this case the buyer agrees not to steal locations from seller if they cant reach an agreement, seller will be more comfortable telling specifics of locations

It's a written agreement for a specified length of time that neither party will go after each other's business, in this case the buyer agrees not to steal locations from seller if they cant reach an agreement, seller will be more comfortable telling specifics of locations

Good luck enforcing that.

Hey Mettle,

I,ve got a car for sale. I'll show you a picture of it-LOL ! If this person is serious about selling,he's gonna have to open up and allow you to see all the locations and equipment. If he doesn't-walk away.In this business,like any other,don't buy a "pig in a poke".

Just got a confirming email - I'm going to drop by a couple of places the seller informed me about. Funny thing is I have already seen machines in these places because I have been to them trying to locate my own machines! For the price I am getting it's not going to be the end of the world if things don't work out. The best part is the machines haven't been serviced for 2 1/2 months so there should be at least  enough money in them to cover my expense of buying the route, and 2 1/2 months isn't so long a time where the businesses will be wanting to throw the vendor out. I hope this works out and will keep everyone informed.

Also, I believe the seller wants to get out of the business so a noncompete agreement would be way more trouble than it is worth but I will keep that advice in mind for the future.

This is exciting stuff!

OK I bought the route on Saturday and here are my findings:

Good news first:

14 locations w/ Vendstars featuring 3 pizza places, 3 chinese food joints, 2 mexican food restaurants, 1 bar, and a Verizon store! WOW - talk about hitting the location jackpot! (I thought) They are neatly clustered together for super easy servicing.

Not-so-good news:

The machines haven't been serviced for 2 1/2 months so some of the candy is looking pretty bad. I saw some PMM's that were completely cracked, almost exploded! It's getting very close to the time when they will get kicked out.

Bad news:

No keys! I thought I had a set that would fit, but I don't! I am in contact with the seller and they are trying to help but I need those keys now! I have tried eBay, Craigslist, and Wizcer (Nick from Northeast Vending wrote on TVF) I got the key numbers from the seller but can't find a backdoor key. I bought a top key from eBay pretty easily. Just looking for the backdoor key!

So I am out of luck until I can find that backdoor key, any suggestions? I don't really want to spend any more money than I have to obviously but a Vendstar backdoor can't be that hard to come by. Seller told me it was a #2222 backdoor key number. Please help!

Not sure if this will help but here it is.

Is this what the back locks look like?

I have some Ultravends that needed some top locks like this.  I picked some up at Lowe's. They fit toolboxes and cabinets,etc.  I had to grind the flat plate that turns but it was pretty easy to do with a bench grinder. If I remember correctly, I paid around 3.79 each for them.

Hillbilly,

The Vendstar back lock is the barrel type. If I bring the back lock into a Lowe's will they be able to make me a key so I don't have to re-key every machine?  Re-keying would be the best option but I'm looking to get out of this with minimal effort until I can at least service the route and get it cleaned up.

Thanks for the tip!

The top locks should be easy to deal with, as I believe there are only 2 official kinds.  Both always seem available on eBay, so you can at least deal with the candy.  The back locks may be a bigger problem, and you will need to remove the back if you want to remove the canisters. 

But 2 1/2 months of quarters is a nice little rebate on this purchase.

If you have a machine at home, trade out one of the ones on route, and get the other one home, and you might be able to figure out how to deal with the others on location.  But if not, you can deal with the one at home, and then use it to replace another one, and repeat the process until you have dealt with all of them.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, UPDATE:

I pulled 4 machines to drill the locks out and service them then when finished cleaning I would put them back on site. The seller came through for me by selling me 1 1/2 machines (1 full machine plus a parts machine) and THE KEYS to the route! I was impatient beforehand and drilled out 1 of the locks - good thing the seller came through with those KEYS or I would be doing alot more drilling.

Anyways, out of those 4 machines I pulled I collected $67.25! The wife was giving me all sorts of grief about this route but these numbers are making her happy. Since I bought the route for $215.00 for 14 locations w/ machines I am happy too! I just have to methodically refurb each one to start making some more $$$$! When I service the whole route I will update again!

I love this stuff!

SHOUT OUT TO S.D. for the great route you sold to me! This is really helping me out alot!

Archived