How To Go Full Time Into Bulk Vending

dperry

Ever wonder how the full-time venders got to where they are now?

I wonder... what percentage of full-time venders started off like 99% of us here, with just a few machines, and a full-time job and family.

I would say that the odds of achieving that level of success from such beginnings is quite rare. I would estimate about 1 out of 1,000,000 might achieve such status.

From talking to a number of full-time venders, I believe there are only 4 ways to make it into full-time.

1. Inherit the business from the family. How many full-timers gotten to where they are because they have taken over the family business?

2. Start from a very young age. If you started this business right out of high school, when you have no bills, no wife (or hubby), no kids, no full-time job that would be hard to be replaced

3. Buy into the business. I've heard of many who retire from a very lucrative job, that now have lots of time and lots of money. They take their life savings and then buy existing routes, or build up their own routes with hundreds of machines at a time.

4. Sacrifice, sacrifice, sacrifice. These are the ones who for some reason have lost their jobs, couldn't find another, had lots of time on their hands and were able to downsize their living needs in order to survive on the meager income from a startup business. Or maybe they had very good credit and were able to take out huge loans to finance the business.

I don't know if I'm ready to make such a sacrifice yet. I don't have the money to buy into an existing business, and I didn't come from a family of venders, and I certainly didn't start when I was in college.

Hmmmm... So I recon I'll be going full time when I retire. Since that's when I'll be able to stop working on my full-time job and will be able to spend more time with the vending business, like locating and servicing.

HI,

I believe there is another possibility and it is actually the path I took with my other business that I had before I got into vending.

Working a regular full time job (of or part time if that is the case) and starting out small in your new business....pick up a few accounts here and there until you get pretty busy then contemplate leaving your regular job as an employee and work for yourself. Of course this method is hard core in terms of hours spent working (like working 2 jobs if you already work a full time job) but it is another route that can work and did work for me.

Andrew

That is my plan. I plan to keep adding accounts until I can afford to make it my full time job. But I am also going to add in snack and pop machines to help increase revenue. You could do it off of just bulk machines but it would take 500 or more machines. :o

That is my plan. I plan to keep adding accounts until I can afford to make it my full time job. But I am also going to add in snack and pop machines to help increase revenue. You could do it off of just bulk machines but it would take 500 or more machines. :o

How many machines you will need will vary, depending on your needs and wants from income. I plan to retire at age 50-52 from my state job. In the mean time, I will build a strong high income route. This is a 9 to 11 year plan. Who knows by then I may go into ATM machines and car washes.

I think many bulk vendors make the mistake of just getting their machines out there verses taking their time to acquire good locations.

Dperry, very good post

There are some jobs or business that takes a person that has drive and focus and vending is one of them. I think any one with the drive to be the best can be full time. If you have the drive you will find the money. You also have to have a good plan and focus on your plan. People that wana go full time also have to take a look how they live. Do you live below your means or do you have a second and thrid morgage with maxed out credit cards? I started in. 1995 after seening a SSF sales show. I could see that it was a good business but wasn't about to buy SSF. Back then sames sold eagles on the shelf so I bought a few doubles and placed them. My back ground at that time was few years in the Navy. Fast food managment. All I did was buy machines. And place machines over and over. I worked 7 days a week for a long time. When I would order toys I'd always order a head or to so I kept a steady flow of machines to place and I still so that. Be flexable your town may not be the best place for machines. In this business you need to drive to other towns and states.

I believe this business has levels, and everyone needs to find their position within one of those levels. But it also can serve for a way to grow within the business.

First would be a part timer who simply earns a little extra money on the side. It doesn't take very much money to build to this level, and takes little time to maintain it. But if a person wants to go further, they instead keep reinvesting the profits, and preferably more then that.

Next would be a serious part timer. Somebody who uses a lot of personal time to run this business. Once built up, this can produce a decent second income, but not enough for most people to live off in and of itself. But still does not interfere with a full time job. But once again if a person want's to go further then this, then most if not all the profits should be reinvested into this business.

Then there is the part time pro. This person has built up his route to the point that he may cut down at his regular job to focus on this business, but still has to work. If he can't cut down at work, he may switch jobs, or even professions just so he is able to focus on the business more. The business along with a part time job (20 - 30 hours a week) can produce a better income then just the job alone, but if not must be more rewarding/ enjoyable. But once again if growth is what is desired, then profits must be reinvested to keep growing. But at this level, you have to take an income to survive.

Next I would see the person who derives most of their income from Vending, but probably maintains a second job just for an extra income. And an easier way to pay in to Uncle Sam.) It might be 10 - 15 hours a week. They could even figure on living only on the vending business, and using the second job to pay for the expansion of the business. Especially if they want to get to the next step.

Full time Vendor. All income, and all the funds for growth are derived from the business. Even if the person needs to keep his budget tight, he is still living as a Vendor.

So I have 5 potential levels here. (You could define more or less if you really wanted to.) I believe a person can get from 1 to 5 in 5 to 10 years if they are dedicated and focused. But people can speed the process up depending on how much they are willing (able) to invest. If you happen to have $100K lying around, you can obviously grow faster then the person who has to struggle to scrounge up $100 for his first machine.

But I believe that the person with $100 and ambition (and some self control,) will be more successful the the person with $100K and no ambition.

I would agree with Mage that there are different levels of achievement. And there is nothing wrong with any level if that is what an individual desires. But one must carefully consider which business model they have chosen and will it realistically match up with the desired level (or goals). Certain models will lead to certain levels.

For example, history shows that the triple head candy charity model will at best achieve part time income or in many cases just extra beer money. I have been on these boards for 8 years and have yet to hear any FULL TIME success story with triple head candy charity machines. Many of us may start that way, but many will soon realize a need to adjust their model to achieve the desired level.

Also, from what I have read and experienced, it usually takes at about 7 years to build up a "full time" bulk route from scratch. A bit depressing. And of course we still need income while we are building.

I love this post as it touches on so many things I have been working through.

I will be celebrating five years in business in July, and keep this in mind: 50% of businesses fail within one year, 95% fail within five years. I am thrilled that I have been able to grow and stick it out and grow and get to full-time vending.

It has not always been fun, I lost my full-time job and had to grow with the help of a partner, which also turned out to be expensive when it came time to buy him out to secure my full-time income.

In the early stages of this business it is important to use your initial investment carefully and not get ripped off by salesman for Vendstar and other presentations, this has been detailed many times on the forum. Reinvestment is also important to get beyond your first locations and equipment.

After this you have to put in the time to get good and better yet, great locations. You will also need the equipment necessary to get them and upgrade them. This is where many vendors hit a wall or "Catch 22" which can be very frustrating, I even am dealing with this now and I foresee it continuing to be an ongoing problem. But I like to think where there is a will there will be a way to get it done.

Joe

275 locations

694 heads

HI,

In following this thread, it seems to take along time to develop a bulk route into a full time job BUT how about using the bulk machines as a "foot in the door" for other machines....(this in turn can allow faster $$ inflow for buying even more bulk machines faster)..

By this I mean being in a business and servicing the bulk machine there allows you to see if or how the other machines (snack, soda, gaming etc..)are being serviced....If you notice that the other machines are not there or being serviced properly it would be a good opportunity to offer other services / machines (additionally, I have read somewhere a single snack machine is about the same as 10 or more bulk machines in terms of income so $$ growth could be faster)....plus snack machines I think are more stable in terms of being able to stay in a location than bulk machines.....I am using the reverse of this procedure to place my bulk machines (I mainly vend snack machines but will place bulk and or soda if I notice they are not present or are being serviced poorly).

Hope this helps you.

Andrew

PS - I like the different categories from Mange....never thought of it that way....makes perfect sense!

Andy,

You probably are right about snack machines and their potential income. The problems with new vendors in full-line or other vending such as gaming are usually the following:

1. It costs A LOT more money and resources to start up a snack vending business or full line. You can find cheaper machines out there but they will be very old, beat up, and not attractive, making item #3 that much harder.

2. The Cost of Goods is much higher, my cousin has been doing full-line for over 25 years and now has to charge 1.25 for a 1 oz Doritos to make enough profit to keep that item.

3. Locations are much harder to secure, competition is much more fierce. Pepsi, Coke, big national vendors, rinky dink vendors, etc. are all over the place, especially in full-line.

The positives are that yes, if you do overcome all this and get a few GOOD locations, you can really rock out the income. You do not need hundreds of full line locations to be full-time, depending on your goals, but it is quite an uphill battle, probably more so than bulk.

imo you are mistaken on the size of doritos being sold for $1.25.the 1 oz bag goes for .50 cents,I dont see anyone buying that for that price.maybe you meant the 1 and 7/8 oz bag?

In my area there are more toy and candy rinky dinky vendors then full line,you area must be differant.

Antonio,

My area is way different. If I am not mistaken, you are in the Chicago area. Metro areas are always different in that there is more population, hence more competition in bulk and full-line, and everything for that matter. My routes in Jersey are a prime example, I always see 5 barber/salons on the same block and 10 nail salons across from each other. LOL

When you have a few million people around as opposed to about 100,000 like my hometown metro area, you will have multiples of many things.

I will be celebrating five years in business in July, and keep this in mind: 50% of businesses fail within one year, 95% fail within five years. I am thrilled that I have been able to grow and stick it out and grow and get to full-time vending.

After this you have to put in the time to get good and better yet, great locations. You will also need the equipment necessary to get them and upgrade them. This is where many vendors hit a wall or "Catch 22" which can be very frustrating, I even am dealing with this now and I foresee it continuing to be an ongoing problem. But I like to think where there is a will there will be a way to get it done.

Joe

275 locations

694 heads

That's awsome Joe! Get 'R Done!

One other "Catch 22" I run into is simply keeping up with the turnover. You can work hard to get some good new locations, then a week later the phone rings with requests to remove machines or the business is closing down tomorrow. To grow, the birth rate needs to exceed the death rate. Otherwise, the route continues to shrink and deteriorate.

If it wasn't for my wonderful wife I would have never been able to make the transition to full time. We were able to structure our life so that we could survive on her income which enabled me to jump in with both feet and put all the money back into the business to grow faster.

HI,

In following this thread, it seems to take along time to develop a bulk route into a full time job BUT how about using the bulk machines as a "foot in the door" for other machines....(this in turn can allow faster $$ inflow for buying even more bulk machines faster)..

By this I mean being in a business and servicing the bulk machine there allows you to see if or how the other machines (snack, soda, gaming etc..)are being serviced....If you notice that the other machines are not there or being serviced properly it would be a good opportunity to offer other services / machines (additionally, I have read somewhere a single snack machine is about the same as 10 or more bulk machines in terms of income so $$ growth could be faster)....plus snack machines I think are more stable in terms of being able to stay in a location than bulk machines.....I am using the reverse of this procedure to place my bulk machines (I mainly vend snack machines but will place bulk and or soda if I notice they are not present or are being serviced poorly).

Hope this helps you.

Andrew

PS - I like the different categories from Mange....never thought of it that way....makes perfect sense!

One other issue to note with full line is the time to service a location. I have many areas of my bulk route that I have machines in the same plaza, or within a tenth of a mile of each other. I can service 6-10 stops an hour most of the time, but my fulline locations take anywhere from 35 minutes to an hour each to complete. They are also not near each other either, so without great locations, bulk may offer the better return as far as time, gross profit, and net income. However, great full line locations are hard to turn down, when you make 400-1000 bucks a month gross off of a single location.

• 5 years later...
I believe this business has levels, and everyone needs to find their position within one of those levels. But it also can serve for a way to grow within the business.

First would be a part timer who simply earns a little extra money on the side. It doesn't take very much money to build to this level, and takes little time to maintain it. But if a person wants to go further, they instead keep reinvesting the profits, and preferably more then that.

Next would be a serious part timer. Somebody who uses a lot of personal time to run this business. Once built up, this can produce a decent second income, but not enough for most people to live off in and of itself. But still does not interfere with a full time job. But once again if a person want's to go further then this, then most if not all the profits should be reinvested into this business.

Then there is the part time pro. This person has built up his route to the point that he may cut down at his regular job to focus on this business, but still has to work. If he can't cut down at work, he may switch jobs, or even professions just so he is able to focus on the business more. The business along with a part time job (20 - 30 hours a week) can produce a better income then just the job alone, but if not must be more rewarding/ enjoyable. But once again if growth is what is desired, then profits must be reinvested to keep growing. But at this level, you have to take an income to survive.

Next I would see the person who derives most of their income from Vending, but probably maintains a second job just for an extra income. And an easier way to pay in to Uncle Sam.) It might be 10 - 15 hours a week. They could even figure on living only on the vending business, and using the second job to pay for the expansion of the business. Especially if they want to get to the next step.

Full time Vendor. All income, and all the funds for growth are derived from the business. Even if the person needs to keep his budget tight, he is still living as a Vendor.

So I have 5 potential levels here. (You could define more or less if you really wanted to.) I believe a person can get from 1 to 5 in 5 to 10 years if they are dedicated and focused. But people can speed the process up depending on how much they are willing (able) to invest. If you happen to have $100K lying around, you can obviously grow faster then the person who has to struggle to scrounge up $100 for his first machine.

But I believe that the person with $100 and ambition (and some self control,) will be more successful the the person with $100K and no ambition.

You are nothing but wisdom! I've never seen so much knowledge!

Sent from my Z987 using Tapatalk

Archived