Where to find a bar that holds a Northern 80 and 60 on same stand?

MrGranger

The 2x is not for strength in my set-up.

Since I'm using screws, the 2x is needed because a 1x is not thick enough for coarse-threaded screws.

Using the 2x and coarse-threaded screws saves money.

You don't have the cost of carriage bolts and a 1x doesn't cost much more than a 2x.

Also saves time because you don't have to pre-drill holes for your bolts.

You just screw the bases right onto the board.

Regarding appearances, the 2x is 3/4" thicker than a 1x in today's true lumber measurements.

IMO, not enough of a difference to justify my spending more time/money using carriage bolts and a 1x.

Like will.vend states -- it's all opinion.

No right or wrong way. Just depends on what you prefer.

I like the idea of wood screws to hold the base but your right it wont work on a 1x the carriage bolts are used to hold the flange to the 1x, I use carriage bolts here because they countersink easier, otherwise the heads would be in the way of the middle machine.

I like the idea of wood screws to hold the base but your right it wont work on a 1x the carriage bolts are used to hold the flange to the 1x, I use carriage bolts here because they countersink easier, otherwise the heads would be in the way of the middle machine.

If you ever decide to try the screws and 2x method, DO NOT use WOOD screws.

The thread is not coarse enough on those.

You get a better grip using drywall screws.

There is a type of drywall screw that is called "coarse thread" drywall screws -- those are the ones to use. (At Lowes: black box with orange label and screws are black)

The thread on those grips solid.

Sorry - forgot to mention this part:

I screw the flange into the 2x too.

For the flange, I use a big-headed multi purpose screw.

The holes on the flange are wider than on a machine base.

Otherwise, I'd use the drywall screws.

But, again, both types of screws are cheaper than carriage bolts.

• 3 years later...

I think I know exactly what you are asking for. That animal does exist, but unfortunately no one sells them. You can, however, build them. Start with a regular single pipe stand. You will then need an extra flange (from LYPC), a double bracket (from LYPC) and one 4 inch threaded pipe (from Lowes). It also best to have the original pole cut down to about 22 inches (Ace Hardware will cut and rethread for two dollars) Using a hole saw, drill a hole into the center of the double bracket so that the two poles can be twisted into the bottom flange. I have built about 15 of these and they are great space savers or great when an owner is paranoid about taking up too much room. I like the flexibility for the top machine - NW80, 2-col Sticker or even a Shootin Hoops.

I have one that holds all 3 machines side by side on a mounting plate.(for sale)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived