Ways to Reduce Misvending

Thrifty

In the last week, I have had to go out of my way to fix a couple locations that were apparently misvending.

This to me is inefficient and needs to be reduced as much as possible. After some thought,It seems that most

misvends have been with bouncy balls or capsules.

The thing that bothers me is that I am not there when the misvend occurs, the product could have been bridging,

a capsule might have been uncapped, or the product just did not make it into any of the holes, or even customers could

be lying. There is no way for me to nail down exactly what it was that was causing the problem.

So, I would like to hear everybody's input and experience with misvending on their routes:

1. How often can one expect a misvend assuming you are doing things right? 1/100 vends? 1/500 vends? 1/1,000?

2. What are the major causes of a misvend?

3. How can we reduce misvends and therefore reduce service calls and hassle?

I think this info will be very helpful to all.

Major causes with 1" Acorn Capsules is caps cominf off and bridging. How I solved this was go to (almost all) round caps. This is the reason I purchase most of my 1" from Brand. (Hear that A&A?) 1" Acorns capsules just plain suck,

How do you overcome Brand's lack of variety? Is squshland the only product you sell?

Coin mech problems can be taken care of normally by giving the mech some maintenance. Most used machines have never had anything done to them. I take all my mechs apart all the way and inspect them, clean them with carburetor cleaner and smooth out any burrs on the coin wheel with a flat tail file. I replace any part that is really worn out or cracked. I turn all the Oak and A&A mechs in to drop thru's.to prevent coin jams.

My most common mis vend problem is an open capsule as well. The lid goes down to the bottom and gets jammed underneath the capsule wheel. Sometimes its a bear to get out. I really need to check my capsules better but I've just been so busy collecting quarters.

I had a problem with a N.W super 80 where I would insert the quarters but no product would come out.After nearly loosing my mind I called NorthWestern and one of their reps. told me that the teeth had two lines looks like it was placed by a black marker and this would have to be lined up with the mech. in order for the machine to work properly.

I also rarely am told about a misvend. But I check every capsule to insure the cap is on. Last bag of ducks I counted 22 that were not capped completely.

I also use round caps none of which are from Brand.

[/quote

Where are you getting your rounds and what's in them. I'm with Perry I would like to use round but brand is the only one that really has them. But very limited products.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

misvends on 1 inch machine could be:

open caps

timing off on wheel, make sure the hole in wheel is lined up with opening on hopper

dirt, debris under or around wheel, this will cause wheel to be hard to turn, keep clean and lubricate occasionally (toys only)

set screws not tight enough or too tight

sprocket on mech not in right position, most sprockets have a mark on them noting top dead center, if not it will misvend about every 3rd time and then be off center from then on

head not seated down on base correct

2 inch machine

same timing issues as 1 inch

there is also a small bracket that keeps wheel held down, if it is bent wheel will rise up and misvend

coin mech not seated properly and not making good contact with wheel

one good thing to do is mark all your wheels with a black marker when lined up correctly, it will allow you to quick glance and make sure they are lined up, that will be 3 marks on 1 inch and 5 marks on 2 inch

In the last week, I have had to go out of my way to fix a couple locations that were apparently misvending.

So, I would like to hear everybody's input and experience with misvending on their routes:

1. How often can one expect a misvend assuming you are doing things right? 1/100 vends? 1/500 vends? 1/1,000?

One more thing to chew on that has not already been said....

I stopped using the "3-spring propeller head" type of agitation on the capsule wheels and exclusively use the "single hard spring" type capsule wheel from NW. I have commented on this a number of times in the past and I am sure other vendors think that I am on crack when I say that. But it has made a big difference for me and I rarely get complaints. And I too try to use round caps as much as possible. I now also pour all acorn caps into a box and inspect for open caps.

Where are you getting your rounds and what's in them. I'm with Perry I would like to use round but brand is the only one that really has them. But very limited products.

Actionmatic sells some products in round caps.

Great points mentioned.

How about more statistics?

How many misvends per cycle per vend?

Also, how many times has a location complained to you or kicked you out?

Can our machines run near perfect, or are they going to misvend to a point

where you have to make service calls every month?

Once again, thanks for the helpful replies guys.

I cant recall ever getting a call about a misvend. Im sure it happens though. We use a MMP flat with a 6" X 6" hole cut in the bottom of it. Set the flat on top of a tot with a bucket under the hole. We dump the caps out and rake them into the hole. We do this with every bag of new product and redo it with every bag coming in off a route. Im sure we remove 90% of misvends this way.

Mike

On the super 60 machines I try not to fill it up all the way on gum balls and bounce balls.the weight imo contributes to mis vends.the old style capsule wheel with the three springs has issus as was said.heavy toys such as snack attack will make the springs compress towards the middle then they won't stir anymore and cause misvends

Actionmatic, I must say very limited choices on round. I have also got them from ABC Vending. Yes I have to pay a slight premium buying for a re-seller but at .50 I can sill make a profit. I only buy these for my 1 800's.everything else is acorn. I thought I saw TOO CUTE rings in round, maybe TNT but not sure.

One more thing to chew on that has not already been said....

I stopped using the "3-spring propeller head" type of agitation on the capsule wheels and exclusively use the "single hard spring" type capsule wheel from NW. I have commented on this a number of times in the past and I am sure other vendors think that I am on crack when I say that. But it has made a big difference for me and I rarely get complaints. And I too try to use round caps as much as possible. I now also pour all acorn caps into a box and inspect for open caps.

Actionmatic sells some products in round caps.

Jax, Can you post a pic? Is it made like the Oak or A&A style?

I like the single spring and the fact that they seldom break like the 3 spring-L-set up. The only drawback is with some of the larger, thicker displays. If the product level falls too much, the display tends to get all mashed up. Jax, did you buy the wheels direct from Northwestern or do you order your new machines with the newer wheel?

We snip the end of the spring off to make room for the thicker A&A blister displays.

Mike

I like the single spring and the fact that they seldom break like the 3 spring-L-set up. The only drawback is with some of the larger, thicker displays. If the product level falls too much, the display tends to get all mashed up. Jax, did you buy the wheels direct from Northwestern or do you order your new machines with the newer wheel?

I always order the newer style capsule wheels with all new NW orders. But I have also purchased many wheels separately from NW directly. Fortunately I have a bunch of brush housing, so it has made the transition a bit cheaper. And yea, those propeller springs are just too flimsy IMO.

I always order the newer style capsule wheels with all new NW orders. But I have also purchased many wheels separately from NW directly. Fortunately I have a bunch of brush housing, so it has made the transition a bit cheaper. And yea, those propeller springs are just too flimsy IMO.

I have experienced those flimsy springs actually coming off and vending out.

Due to misvending and prevention of such, I think candy is more service friendly.

I am constantly trying to hand load and test vend toys.

With candy you pour and go. I have never had a candy wheel fail.

However, Selling toys is worth the trouble because of no spoilage and better margins.

This to me is inefficient and needs to be reduced as much as possible. After some thought,It seems that most

misvends have been with bouncy balls or capsules.

The thing that bothers me is that I am not there when the misvend occurs, the product could have been bridging,

a capsule might have been uncapped, or the product just did not make it into any of the holes, or even customers could

be lying. There is no way for me to nail down exactly what it was that was causing the problem.

I think this info will be very helpful to all.

99% of my business is toy capsules.

1. With round sealed capsules I get zero mis-vends. With acorn caps I have 4-5 in 250. (if you just pour them in)

2. First issue is open caps the second is the gear on the mech loosens and causes the head sprocket to not turn at all.

3. Capsule companies have to change the tops of their caps to "twist" on caps. And, mech companies need to do a better job with securing the screw that holds the mech gear on. (actually, the 1-800 / 50c mechs have a self threaded screw, so they never loosen up)

Gary

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

99% of my business is toy capsules.

1. With round sealed capsules I get zero mis-vends. With acorn caps I have 4-5 in 250. (if you just pour them in)

2. First issue is open caps the second is the gear on the mech loosens and causes the head sprocket to not turn at all.

3. Capsule companies have to change the tops of their caps to "twist" on caps. And, mech companies need to do a better job with securing the screw that holds the mech gear on. (actually, the 1-800 / 50c mechs have a self threaded screw, so they never loosen up)

Gary

Thanks Gary. I like the idea of twist on caps, good idea. Maybe you should suggest to AA?

I should since they make most of the capsules we use. I don't think it would be that hard to add a thread to the cap top and an opening in the bottom of the capsule, for the thread to turn in to. A little twist and the cap and it would be locked on until someone opens it.

Gary

• 2 years later...

I had a really serious problem of misvend with one of my rhino machines for the last 4 months or so.

On the first vend it would dispense 1 very candy, on the second it would dispense 9, on the thrid 5 and on the fourth 4. Then the same cycle would repeat over an over again.

Then I experimented only filling the machine only halfway, and MAGIC, it now vends a more steady 5 candies, sometimes 6 another times 4.

I dispense the same type of gumball (its very little) on a Beaver machine and I fill it completely almost always vends exactly the quantity it is supposed to vend, so I guess not quality machiens could be the problem.

Archived