mechanical snack machines... I need the good the bad and the ugly on them

so my operation is small as of right now with pretty cheap equipment

about 18 bulk machines

my soda machine that you guys helped fix

and now I'm thinking about 3 mechanical snack machines

I have read through the site here and their about them

but I kinda think I can do well with at low impact places like salons and barber shops until next year when I am able to see a reason to upgrade equipment because of the profit

I found these ugly things on craigslist for 150 each but whats the most that you would pay for them, if you would buy them at all..

post-3838-0-55140600-1332468433_thumb.jpg

They are time consuming hard to change prices and probably worth more at the scrap yard than as a vending machine

I would not pay more than 75 to 100 for all three. The person selling them probably thought the same as you and is trying to recoup his money.

Sorry, just my honest opinion

They are time consuming hard to change prices and probably worth more at the scrap yard than as a vending machine

I would not pay more than 75 to 100 for all three. The person selling them probably thought the same as you and is trying to recoup his money.

Sorry, just my honest opinion

What he said. I don't know if barber shops do well but salons can yield some decent revenue. I had a mechanical machine in a salon and the thing did $25-30/week and definitely paid for itself. However, for full-line, you don't want accounts that do this low. I recommend trying to place a soda and snack at a decent blue-collar location with at least 15 people to start. You could probably get away with just installing a can machine that you could probably buy for $400 off of craigslist and easily make $30/week in revenue from that can machine alone. That would pay for itself, after COGS, in about 6 months. This would be a very low-cost way to get started and the equipment would be good to move into bigger locations in the future.

Save your money, buy full size machines. It will be easier not only now, but when you go to sell the route on down the road. In ten years, you probably won't be able to sell a mechanical machine route period.

From a technical standpoint:

You can't charge more than $1 for any selections in a mechanical snack machine.

Oh, yeah. And their resale value sucks.

when I was starting out in vending, I bought some of those. They are a PAIN IN THE REAR!!! I was constantly having to work on them and was spending more time keeping them working properly than I was stocking them and collecting the money.

Also, the thing I found is in my area, most people don't carry very much change, so you have to get change machines as well.

When I moved into the full size machines, I tried selling the small ones on ebay and craigs list as a set. People were more interested in just the changers. So I ended up selling the changers and taking the machines to the scrap yard....

Lesson learned...

I have made a point not to buy mechanical machine. Keep cheking out craig's list. I buy cheap electronic machines all the time. I bought a 3wide for $150. No need to buy mechanical, just keep looking.

You need to be ready to jump on a deal when you see it. I just missed a 3wide with a can satalite for $250. Keep you eyes open and jump on them fast!

I hate to make a seperate thread so

what about a

FUTURA Combo Vending Machines they are asking $1895.00 on craigs list but I'm sure I can talk them down maybe to 1500.00

i have a beauty salon that wants a soda and a snack so i'm thinking a combo would be better

post-3838-0-89997700-1332717626_thumb.jpg

http://www.evending....nding-Machines/

I am sure they do want a drink and snack machine, I am willing to bet they would take a cold food and ice cream to if they had the room and you were willing to put it in. I am thinking the beauty shop buy their own machine and do it themselves. Stay away from this type of account and machines all together. If they would take an honor box then fine but not a combo machine or any vending machines for that matter.

That machine is not worth that kind of money. Those cheap China machines have only one appealing feature which traps many vendors into buying them, and that is the fact that they are a combo machine. Don't fall for it. IMO, you should only buy:

Dixie Narco, Vendo, Royal, National, GPL, AP, and maybe USI. MOST other companies are NO GOOD.

Some beauty salons do decent, but I would not solicit business from them.

I currently have two. And the only reason I have those two were because they went with the route I purchased when I first started in the business.

If you really have your heart set on putting a machine in the salon, make sure the machine is available to both customers and employees.

In one of my locations, I have a machine sitting near the bathrooms in a very busy salon with 25 chairs. That salon is always busy when I go in, and there are kids running in and out on a regular basis as well. That account does about $35 a week on a good week.

The other one is in the back room for the employees only, and it only does about $15 a week.

The only reason I haven't pulled those machines is because their mechanical combos and I would not put them anywhere else. They are close to some profitable locations, so expenses are minimal. But there will come a time when I will put those locations on Craigslist to sell to some other unsuspecting newbie.

Some beauty salons do decent, but I would not solicit business from them.

I currently have two. And the only reason I have those two were because they went with the route I purchased when I first started in the business.

If you really have your heart set on putting a machine in the salon, make sure the machine is available to both customers and employees.

In one of my locations, I have a machine sitting near the bathrooms in a very busy salon with 25 chairs. That salon is always busy when I go in, and there are kids running in and out on a regular basis as well. That account does about $35 a week on a good week.

The other one is in the back room for the employees only, and it only does about $15 a week.

The only reason I haven't pulled those machines is because their mechanical combos and I would not put them anywhere else. They are close to some profitable locations, so expenses are minimal. But there will come a time when I will put those locations on Craigslist to sell to some other unsuspecting newbie.

I hope you are joking...... :unsure:

I hope you are joking...... :unsure:

never heard of the "theory of a greater fool" ? ;)

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/g/greaterfooltheory.asp#axzz1qNuSirc3

The only reason I haven't pulled those machines is because their mechanical combos and I would not put them anywhere else. They are close to some profitable locations, so expenses are minimal.

idk is it really worth ur time to stock the machine for $15?

Archived