What got you started?

Janiceb

My reasons are pragmatic. It was the only business that I could start and build by myself, with the money I have, and with the flexible schedule I require. I'm a single mom of three, and one of my kids is high-maintenance special needs. So when the kids are in school, and not at doctor's appointments, I'm working my butt off!

Before this, I worked in IT for 15 soul-sucking years. It got to be too hard to juggle that kind of career and be there for my kids. I'm really enjoying doing something that's more physical and social, and not have my face in front of a computer all day :)

I was active duty military and was looking for an opportunity to be home more, work for myself, and rapid growth potential. I do have a business partner so we did some research and bought a route that had bulk and full service so we could learn about both (overpaid for the route). That was about a year ago and now we have 8 locations and 15 full service machines and 230 placed triples (201 Vendstars, 18 multivends, 10 1800 and some northwestern racks), we will be close to 300 bulk locations. By mid summer we will spin off the full service and get to 500 locations. It has been a great foray into self employment and I love growing within this industry!

Eli

• 1 year later...

I have always wanted to have a small business but I did not even research the possibilities because I grew up poor and never thought I could ever be in a position to start a business I always thought you had to have very good credit and very good initial investment to start. Well after many years of working waitress and maintenance jobs my son grew up and started working himself and after a few jobs he hated he finally got a job being a merchandiser for a beer company, he loved his job!!! Then the business got bought out by a big company and everyone lost their job so my boy goes out and applies for many many jobs but gets no call back. I then started noticing that many small businesses were popping up around town and they were freash out of college kids opening their own business so I said to my son it cant be really difficult to open a business if all these young 20 sometihings are doing it. so we started brainstorming on how he should give up looking for work and we should start a business. I went and bought 5 old, cheap mechanical machines, spray painted and pretty them up, went and got them placed 1 year ago and now we are on the verge of operating 12 more machines around town. It is work, it is frustrating, BUT it is AWESOME. I still work the 40 hours a week and my son got a new good job but we are still advancing and my goal is to sit on a beach in florida soon and have my son run the business and send me money!!!

Archived