who's currently (or formerly) in the computer industry?

dogcow

I've been in IT for 20 years. I've worked for HP, EDS, IBM and others. My degree is in Business Information Systems. It all started for me when I got my first job at 3Com because of my experience from being a BBS Sysop.

Been working in I.T. for about 14 years. For the past few years, my focus has been in I.T. Security. Interesting post dogcow. I wonder if most are bored with their positions and just using it as a stepping stone until their vending business forces them to quit, or if everyone plans to remain in I.T. forever.

I've been in IT for 20 years. I've worked for HP, EDS, IBM and others. My degree is in Business Information Systems. It all started for me when I got my first job at 3Com because of my experience from being a BBS Sysop.

lol i was a sysop too

spent over twenty years installing fiber optics and broadband in almost every region in this great country of ours and in every kind of industrial plant, factory, and type of building you can think of. I have hung from poles and been in tunnels. I do not know anything about programming but if you guys want those fancy paperweights you call information systems to connect to something else outside your house or office Im your guy

Just poking a little fun at ya

lol i was a sysop too

What did you run? I ran WWIV, TBBS, TELEGARD and MYSTIC, between 1991-2005. I held node 4801 for WWIVnet, and Fidonet 1:143/324.

I bought the WWIV source code, which was written in C. That is where I first got in to coding. I bought a C programming book, and even took C programming class at the local jr college. That got me my first IT job at 3Com, being a sysop to their CardBoard BBS, running an 8-line TBBS BBS. I would put the latest network drivers online, and format the HOW-TO texts into a searchable database.

You can look me up on www.textfiles.com/408/ and www.textfile.com/916/.

What did you run? I ran WWIV, TBBS, TELEGARD and MYSTIC, between 1991-2005. I held node 4801 for WWIVnet, and Fidonet 1:143/324.

I bought the WWIV source code, which was written in C. That is where I first got in to coding. I bought a C programming book, and even took C programming class at the local jr college. That got me my first IT job at 3Com, being a sysop to their CardBoard BBS, running an 8-line TBBS BBS. I would put the latest network drivers online, and format the HOW-TO texts into a searchable database.

You can look me up on www.textfiles.com/408/ and www.textfile.com/916/.

ran telegard, then renegade (TG/wwiv hack) under deskview (2 lines) and eventually that got hacked by an angry

ex co-sysop so i switched to majorbbs and eventually worldgroup (costly mistake since bbs were dying by then lol) at least it was easier to do multiline under those systems .

I was a fido node too though i could not remember the number if you had a gun to my head and some

other smaller local networks

kinda miss those days

Well dogcow, since you asked...

Was in IT for 25+ years. Went to school in the 70's and started out professionally in 1980 when the industry was call "Data Processing"! For the first 7 years, did traditional 3GL languages like Cobol, Fortran, RPG and Basic - with terminals and text editors! Then got smarter and focused on a 4GL called PowerHouse from Cognos Corp. Did training and consulting for Cognos the last 13 or those years with a focus on "Business Intelligence" - tools that allowed easier access to data. Cool job, but had to travel the East coast 2 to 3 weeks every month.

Always enjoyed programming, but don't miss the corporate bull s**t, nor those "Enterprise" cluster f**k projects, nor dealing with clueless executives with unrealistic expectations and deadlines, nor the airport hassles, nor the lack of training for the new technologies, etc. But the money was good and many still think I am crazy for wanting to do vending.

IT can be a double edged sword. It's easy to get into if you have the technical aptitude, but keeping up with the technology changes can be a challenge over time. Of course, the biggest fear of all tech-heads is becoming obsolete. It's easy to keep up when you are younger tech-head in your 20's and 30's. But as you approach your mid-40;s and 50's, companies are less motivated to spend the time and money to invest in an older, expensive employee whose skills are becoming outdated (aka, the "8-track" employee - lol). Those young college kids are so much more up-to-date and energetic and CHEAPER! So an older tech-head must usually take the initiative to retrain himself at his own expensive and time. That can be harder to do when working and traveling 60 hours per week along with other home/family/community commitments.

I simply lost the motivation to keep up with the new stuff and to work in a corporation, but would rather play with gumball machines! And remember, don't get too old or else you may become an "8-track" employee or maybe even a "cassette" employee (heck, CD's may be on the way out too)! Need to find some lyrics for that (open for suggestions). OK, time to go back to the current reality.

LOL @ Jaxsnacks. I completely understand where you are coming from. I am 36, been working in I.T. for over 13 years and am in I.T. Security. Money is good, but honestly, I would rather be playing with gumball machines too. I just took a SANS security certification the other day, and it was so hard preparing for it, because when I was suppose to be studying, I was daydreaming about locating and reading ebooks about the industry, lol. The good thing about me still working in the field, is that it allows me to slowly build up my business. My goal though, is to retire from I.T. by the time I'm 40. Cause my motivation to keep up with the new stuff is just about shot.

I hear ya Janiceb! When I was in my 20's and 30's (and even at 40), I never ever thought I would leave the IT field. But things are finite and do evolve. When you have a corporate job, you are usually just one layoff or one merger or one reorganization or one relocation or one reassignment or one new co-worker or simply one new boss away from hating a job you used to love.

Yea and I hear you about that certification crap! My company was pushing me very hard to get certified. Of course that had to be done on my own time - in the evenings via the web! I said to myself, "I don't have time for that, I have gumball machines to restore and locate". I knew at that point that it was time to go.

Well I still don't have any lyrics for being obsolete. But I do have some lyrics for IT and the Corporate world.

Written by BB King...

The thrill is gone

The thrill is gone away

The thrill is gone baby

The thrill is gone away

You know you done me wrong, corporate IT

And you'll be sorry someday

The thrill is gone

It's gone away from me (especially those ridiculous deadlines)

The thrill is gone baby

The thrill is gone away from me

Although I'll still live on (with toys and gumballs)

But so lonely I'll be (just me and the machines now)

The thrill is gone

It's gone away for good (no more COBOL programs, oh shucks)

Oh, the thrill is gone baby

Baby its gone away for good (no more green-bar paper either!)

Someday I know I'll be over it all baby

Just like I know a (gumball) man should

You know I'm free, free now baby

I'm free from your spell (and all those meaningless time-wasting meetings)

I'm free, free now

I'm free from your spell (and all those stupid status reports)

And now that it's over

All I can do is wish you well (as I wave one particular finger)

See what you started dogcow???!!!

Always enjoyed programming, but don't miss the corporate bull s**t, nor those "Enterprise" cluster f**k projects, nor dealing with clueless executives with unrealistic expectations and deadlines, nor the airport hassles, nor the lack of training for the new technologies, etc. But the money was good and many still think I am crazy for wanting to do vending.

AND THE CHOIR SAID AMEN!!!

Well I still don't have any lyrics for being obsolete. But I do have some lyrics for IT and the Corporate world.

i prefer this one...to the point

• 1 month later...

Where did you work for EDS? I work with them every day.

I have a few side businesses.

One that does pretty well is computer de-construction. On a good day I can tear apart a computer in 10 minutes. I keep all the circuit boards for recycling. The RAM and CPUs go in a special place. You may be asking why I do this.

There is GOLD in them thar boards and more in the RAM & CPUs.

• 2 months later...

I'm in the IS side...not the IT side. Degree in MIS and have worked doing either programming or analysis (or both) for the better part of 10 years in the health care arena. Currently work from home for a company based in another state. Looking to start vending as a side business to pay back my student loans that I incurred getting my MBA. Yikes! :)

An A+ Tech and Network+ and have done the MS Training MSCA. Did it found out Like playing with computers at home but for work Not my Bag. Now I am the Building Engineer for a local school district. I make more an hour then the IT guy in my building. Just keep the Boilers boiling and the Chillers chilling.

I'm in the IS side...not the IT side. Degree in MIS and have worked doing either programming or analysis (or both) for the better part of 10 years in the health care arena. Currently work from home for a company based in another state. Looking to start vending as a side business to pay back my student loans that I incurred getting my MBA. Yikes! :)

I have a degree in MIS also. 20 years of experience. Started out writing Fortran on a NASA contract. Write JSF apps in java now. Have done a bit of anything/everything over the years.

I have a degree in MIS also. 20 years of experience. Started out writing Fortran on a NASA contract. Write JSF apps in java now. Have done a bit of anything/everything over the years.

wow i bet working for nasa was cool. you couldnt pay me enough to deal with java/jsf what a mess, im glad

to have not had to mess with java in a decade

Archived