Honor drinks

I saw a place that had a mini fridge in the break room for honor soda. It had a coffee can in it to collect the money in. I guess it worked out all right, it's still there I think. It's not exactly a public feature though, but something to consider. Good luck empowerdls!

I saw a place that had a mini fridge in the break room for honor soda. It had a coffee can in it to collect the money in. I guess it worked out all right, it's still there I think. It's not exactly a public feature though, but something to consider

"not exactly a public feature" is right.

A coffee can full of money is just too tempting for thieves.

That set-up is easy-pickings for a thief and therefore you'd be very limited in the locations you can use it in.

A locked and mounted money box right on the fridge would let you put that set-up in a few more locations than just having a coffee can.

Wish I could help tell you how to attach a money box to a small fridge, but I've never tried or heard of it being done.

Maybe someone with experience will chime in.

I presently have five drink honor box accounts. I got wire baskets from Home Depot (just smaller than a normal fridge shelf). I tie-wrap a small cardboard coinbox into the corner and then load them with drinks and place them in my customer's fridges. Each basket holds ~40 beverages, for faster accounts I'll bring one or more "restock cases" for them to refill from between services. Been doing it for several months and its been working great so far!

I presently have five drink honor box accounts. I got wire baskets from Home Depot (just smaller than a normal fridge shelf). I tie-wrap a small cardboard coinbox into the corner and then load them with drinks and place them in my customer's fridges. Each basket holds ~40 beverages, for faster accounts I'll bring one or more "restock cases" for them to refill from between services. Been doing it for several months and its been working great so far!

brilliant idea using THEIR fridge!!

do you have a pic?

The office where my grandmother worked had honor drinks for many years , now that she is retired I can't be sure, but I think that they still do it!

Bob...that's great. Are you doing bottles or cans? What's your pricing on that setup

? This particular account doesn't even have a fridge. They actually have to walk across the street to get pop. You can get good used mini fridges on CL all day long for $50 and under. Was thinking nice used fridge and just gluing a money box on the side. Blue collar auto shop with approx 8 employees plus customers. Don't think I could go wrong on this one.

Attaching the box to a shelf in the fridge is a great and simple idea.

It's "attached" to prevent an easy theft of the coin box AND this works whether the fridge is your or belongs to the location.

I also like that you don't alter the outside of the fridge itself.

All this and all you give up is a little bit of room inside the fridge.....VERY NICE.

• 2 weeks later...

do you have a pic?

The office where my grandmother worked had honor drinks for many years , now that she is retired I can't be sure, but I think that they still do it!

Sorry for the delayed reply. I posted some pics of my "drink honor baskets" on the original thread where they were discussed back when I was first considering the idea:

http://vendiscuss.net/index.php?/topic/10086-cold-beverages-for-small-accounts/page__hl__%2Bsmall+%2Baccounts__fromsearch__1

I just placed my 6th drink box this week at a cellular store.

Bob...that's great. Are you doing bottles or cans? What's your pricing on that setup

? This particular account doesn't even have a fridge. They actually have to walk across the street to get pop. You can get good used mini fridges on CL all day long for $50 and under. Was thinking nice used fridge and just gluing a money box on the side. Blue collar auto shop with approx 8 employees plus customers. Don't think I could go wrong on this one.

I'm doing both bottles and cans. My boxes are $0.75 each for all items (including 12oz cans) except those otherwise marked. I sell 20oz sodas at $1.50 and energy drinks at $2.25.

I find many mini-fridges are poorly set up for storing a maximal quantity of beverages. Optimally if you are going this route I'd try to find ones without door shelves or a freezer compartment - open on the inside with adjustable height shelves. Glass-fronted would be a plus but is a lot harder to find.

I considered asking Pepsi and/or Coke if they would provide beverage fridges to me via my 3rd party equipment agreement for selling honor drinks - the kind you see in grocery store checkout lanes. It would obviously limit my offerings to appropriately branded products, but would be cheaper than buying my own fridges for accounts that don't have one or don't have the room in their existing one for a honor-basket.

Archived