Cans vs. bottles

People talk about their bottled water jamming up but I have had very few problems with this. I sell 20oz Deer Park and cannot remember the last time I had a crush or jam.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm new to vending. I only have 1 large acct. I just landed a second acct that is starting a new warehouse. They say that it will be 25 people to start and should be 100 by Sept. Im only going to start them with a vendo 720 with 10 selections. If they actually do get to 100 I will probably put a bevmax in. I keep going back and forth on whether to start them with cans of 20 oz bottles. I could even start them with 16 oz for 1.25 if I want. Any advice on how you would go about a new acct?

Might need to get some shims to get them to vend reliably but other than that should be no problem getting them to vend.

On thing to consider:  There's no "universal" bottle shape (as opposed to 12oz cans) so make sure that whatever you decide to load into a glass front machine vends reliably.  Run a few tests with any new bottle shape you plan to stock.

• 1 month later...

I like cans easier, less jams, bottle jam all the time especially water, I'm in ky and have all kinds of diff cultures here to tend to, they like variety here, I can get s Pepsi machine from Pepsi but I have to buy their products which is higher but they do all repairs on there machines so sometimes it works out,

Interesting....so you can lease from Pepsi?

• 1 year later...

In MD you can get machines directly from PepsiCo, but they usually have minimums per machine. How much they enforce that usually depends on the local bottler. Figure around 12 cases or $200 per week. Your cost is around $15 a case for soda bottles, and around $11 a case for Aquafina. They expect weekly orders.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2015 at 2:11 PM, eaglesfan1203 said:

I'm new to vending. I only have 1 large acct. I just landed a second acct that is starting a new warehouse. They say that it will be 25 people to start and should be 100 by Sept. Im only going to start them with a vendo 720 with 10 selections. If they actually do get to 100 I will probably put a bevmax in. I keep going back and forth on whether to start them with cans of 20 oz bottles. I could even start them with 16 oz for 1.25 if I want. Any advice on how you would go about a new acct?

I would start out with 20oz bottles.  My experience has shown that warehouse/industrial settings prefer bottles over cans.  With the often times dirty atmosphere in those places, they like being able to put a cap back on, instead of an open can.  Also, it's WAY easier to start out with bottles at a higher price and later downsize to cans, which are a cheaper price.  If you start out with cans and later upgrade to bottles, many times the account will want to haggle about the increase in price.  Just my opinion.  :) 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, Poplady1 said:

Remember we are talking single price machines. Most can vendors can sell 16oz but can you afford to sell those products at can prices. 

This discussion is specifically about comparing selling cans vs. selling bottles.

Remember we are talking single price machines. Most can vendors can sell 16oz but can you afford to sell those products at can prices. We are discussing whether you might buy a can or a multiprice machine. This is a big drawback for many reasons. If you lose that location it is like selling a boat in the desert trying to find a location for it that makes any money. Buy multiprice.

10 minutes ago, Poplady1 said:

Remember we are talking single price machines. Most can vendors can sell 16oz but can you afford to sell those products at can prices. We are discussing whether you might buy a can or a multiprice machine. This is a big drawback for many reasons. If you lose that location it is like selling a boat in the desert trying to find a location for it that makes any money. Buy multiprice.

Bev, your point is relevant but the topic was not comparing single price vs multi price machines... it was comparing buying can machines or buying bottle machines.  You could have a 501T for example which is a "can machine" for generalizing purposes.. and sell all 16.9 oz bottles in it.. or you could sell cans and bottles if it's multiprice but selling 20 oz out of a 501T is not a wise thing to do.. hence, if you're going to want to sell bottles, you may as well get a "bottle" machine since you usually have the versatility to sell both.

Many can machines can be single price or multiprice, and there are bottle machines that are single price as well.

7 hours ago, Poplady1 said:

Not playing games!

I don't know what else to tell you... You can literally read the title of the discussion and the very first post and see that the discussion is not about comparing single price machines to multi price machines... It's a question about whether it's better to start off with cheap can machines and sell cans or go with more expensive bottle machines and sell bottles.  Your point is relevant but only when the machines in question are single price, but the discussion was not about single price machines.

I have just gotten off the phone with two national vending equipment companies.  They have never heard of a multi price can machine.  The only thing they have ever run across is single price can machines. You have either a single price can machines or multi-price machines.  You can certainly turn a multi-price into a can only machine but you cannot turn a can only machine into a multi-price machine.  And that my friend was the discussion.  Can only machine or multi-price.  My advice always buy multi-price machines if you have the option.  

I don't know who you talked to but the information you got wasn't correct. A 501T can be single price or multiprice. Older USI can machines bended cans only but were multiprice. I own a 501E that is single price. I'm sorry if it rubs you th e wrong way but not all can machines are single price. 

Just spoke to Dixie Narco they confirmed both of the machines you mentioned are multi-price machines.  They of course can be set up as can only vendors.  Your choice.  

We are off the subject here.  My response to the original question was if I were buying machines when I started would I invest in a can machine or a multi-price machine.  They also ask for the pro's and con's.  A single price machine is a pain in the backside to locate so I would always purchase multi-price machines.

Bev... I agree with you about locating single price machines being a problem. There is no disagreement there. I'm just pointing out that not all can machines are single price. I think the issue here is that you believe that single-price and can machine refer to the same things but they do not. To clarify, let me ask you this: can you name a model of a common "can" machine that was ONLY produced as a single price model?

I don't want to sound insulting, but for the sake of the discussion, it's important that any newbies know the difference. After all, veterans aren't going to be the ones asking how to start off.

P.S. A 501T is generally referred to as a can machine. It could have been manufactured as a single price model or multi price. 

How many do you want me to list, if you want I can send as many as you need to see but remember this machine can be adapted to sell water but it has to be sold at the same price as your cans.  Also I have seen vendors adapt a few columns for 16oz bottles (many jam but some work) but again has to be the same price as the cans.

Vendo v480 8 Selection Single Price Vending Machine

$749.95

In stock

Vendo Model 407 Can Vending Machine - Coca Cola Sensation

• Vendo
  • Coca Cola Sensation
  • Single Price
  • Accepts Coins
  • Accepts $1 Bills
  • 7 Selections
  • 381+ 12oz Cans
  • Refurbished Item
Add to cart

Product Description

Vendo V480 Single Price Vending Machine with Pepsi Can Graphics

This machine takes dollar bills and has a 475 can capacity
Dimensions: 39.5” W x 33” D x 79.5” H

Unit has been repainted.
Compressor has been thoroughly checked, tested and refilled.
All motors and electrical components have been tested.
Bill acceptor and coin mech has been replaced.

This unit is a single-priced vending machine.
All selections will have to have the same price.

AHow many do you want me to list, if you want I can send as many as you need to see but remember this machine can be adapted to sell water but it has to be sold at the same price as your cans.  Also I have seen vendors adapt a few columns for 16oz bottles (many jam but some work) but again has to be the same price as the cans.

$749.95

In stock

• Vendo
  • Coca Cola Sensation
  • Single Price
  • Accepts Coins
  • Accepts $1 Bills
  • 7 Selections
  • 381+ 12oz Cans
  • Refurbished Item

Add to cart

Product Description

Unit has been repainted.

I just contacted Sheperd and he sold his route 2 years ago.

AHow many do you want me to list, if you want I can send as many as you need to see but remember this machine can be adapted to sell water but it has to be sold at the same price as your cans.  Also I have seen vendors adapt a few columns for 16oz bottles (many jam but some work) but again has to be the same price as the cans.

$749.95

In stock

• Vendo
  • Coca Cola Sensation
  • Single Price
  • Accepts Coins
  • Accepts $1 Bills
  • 7 Selections
  • 381+ 12oz Cans
  • Refurbished Item

Saving...

Product Description

Unit has been repainted.

Not sure why this is posting multiple times but also wanted to post some of the responses received from Large Equipment dealers:  Here is one from Randy at Vending World :

To

Message body

No it cannot

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 28, 2017, at 4:15 PM, Beth Bowers <bluemoosevends@yahoo.com> wrote:

Got a question, can a Single Price Can Vendor be converted to a multi-price machine?

Now for models How many do you want me to list, if you want I can send as many as you need to see but remember this machine can be adapted to sell water but it has to be sold at the same price as your cans.  I have seen vendors adapt a few columns for 16oz bottles (many jam but some work) but again has to be the same price as the cans.

$749.95

In stock

• Vendo
  • Coca Cola Sensation
  • Single Price
  • Accepts Coins
  • Accepts $1 Bills
  • 7 Selections
  • 381+ 12oz Cans
  • Refurbished Item

Add to cart

Product Description

Unit has been repainted.

Not sure why this is posting multiple times but also wanted to post some of the responses received from Large Equipment dealers:  Here is one from Randy at Vending World :

To

Message body

No it cannot

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 28, 2017, at 4:15 PM, Beth Bowers <bluemoosevends@yahoo.com> wrote:

Got a question, can a Single Price Can Vendor be converted to a multi-price machine?

Now for models How many do you want me to list, if you want I can send as many as you need to see but remember this machine can be adapted to sell water but it has to be sold at the same price as your cans.  I have seen vendors adapt a few columns for 16oz bottles (many jam but some work) but again has to be the same price as the cans.

$749.95

In stock

• Vendo
  • Coca Cola Sensation
  • Single Price
  • Accepts Coins
  • Accepts $1 Bills
  • 7 Selections
  • 381+ 12oz Cans
  • Refurbished Item

Saving...

Product Description

Unit has been repainted.

On 7/29/2017 at 5:31 PM, Poplady1 said:

How many do you want me to list, if you want I can send as many as you need to see but remember this machine can be adapted to sell water but it has to be sold at the same price as your cans.  Also I have seen vendors adapt a few columns for 16oz bottles (many jam but some work) but again has to be the same price as the cans.

$749.95

VENDO 480 CAN DRINK VENDOR WITH REBUILT CHANGER AND VALIDATOR

• Usually for small to medium size locations.
  • Dimensions: 39″ W  x  31″ D  x  72″H.
  • Shipping Weight: 780 lbs.
  • 8 Selections of canned drinks.
  • Some people claim this machine will vend bottles but watch out.  Stay with 12oz cans.
  • Multi price .05 – $99.95.
  • Capacity 480 Cans.
  • Optional credit card reader available $299.00.
  • Technical support available Monday – Friday 8:00am – 5:00pm EST as long as you own the machine.
  • Parts readily available.
  • Warranty – 90 days parts.
  • New lexan waterfall sign, paint, new lock and keys, your choice of flavor strips.  We set prices and make sure every part of the outside of the machine has a new looking appearance.
  • Every machine goes through our rigorous refurbishing guidelines (see refurbishing procedures).
  • Price $1,195.00.

VENDO 407 DRINK MACHINE

• Vends 8 selections of 12oz cans.
  • Dimensions: 39″ W X 28″ D X 72″H.
  • Shipping Weight: 745 lbs.
  • Multi price- vend drinks from .05 – $99.95.
  • Machine will fit through just about any door.
  • Every machine goes through our rigorous refurbishing guidelines (see refurbishing procedures).
  • 90 days parts warranty and are readily available usually shipping the same day.
  • Technical support available Monday – Friday 8:00am – 5:00pm EST for as long as you own the machine.

Bev, I literally got both of those descriptions from AM equipment sales's website.  Those are literally the same model numbers you posted but the variations I posted were produced as multiprice machines, meaning, although they could be adapted as you say to sell other products (such as 16.9 oz bottles among other things), they were mostly designed to vend 12 oz cans... but these models are multiprice so you can use different pricing.  I'm just making a point that not all can machines are single price.  The majority of the "can" machines out there were produced both as single price AND multi price.  The royal merlin 2000 series for example were some of the first can vendors to come with drop sensors and they were all multi price as far as I know, but they came out before vending 20 oz bottles was a real thing.  So.. hopefully you'll understand what I am trying to say here regarding this dsicussion.

Here's where you are making a mistake.  You are assuming that I am trying to say that a SINGLE PRICE machine is CONVERTED into a multi price machine.  I never said that!!! a can machine is NOT synonymous with single price machine.  Ask these dealers as well as the national companies this question instead: "Are there multi price can machines?"  I'm positive they will say YES.  There are multi price CAN machines that were designed primarily to vend CANS.  For example, the USI serpentine can vendors were multi price and ONLY vended 12 oz cans and nothing else.  A 501T could have been PRODUCED off the assembly line as either a single price OR a multi price.  A royal 552 was a can vendor that was multi price.  A DN 276 was a can machine that could have been produced as a single price or multi price machine.

But to your advice.. getting a multi price 501T is not much better than getting a single price 501T since both machines are old and can only really sell 12 oz cans without losing a lot of capacity, although it is slightly better.