HONOR BOX BUSINESS WARNING

I am writing this for those of you who are brand new and considering going in to the honor box business.

I have done this myself over the past 8 months. Before I went into the business I did a whole lot of asking around about this and if it were something that would work. There are many, many people (including in this very forum) who will tell you that this is something that you can do as a career for yourself. The answer to that is IT ISN'T. I've had to learn that the hard way. If you want to do this as a part-time living for yourself then it CAN generate SOME income for you but you will have to keep close tabs on all your boxes. As soon as you try to step up production (which means less time you can spend per every account) you will begin to notice a significant increase in the theft rate. Attempts to leave notes and talk with the managers/owners will curb theft in the short term but be a downward curve in the long term. This will be so much that you will either be forced to remove the box or the manager/owner will tell you to remove it. Also the most important thing is that once you've had a box somewhere and you've had to remove it, you are way more than likely not going to get another chance at the same place again. THEREFORE WHAT ALL THIS DOES IS IT BURNS UP REAL ESTATE BEHIND YOU FORCING YOU TO KEEP TRYING TO LOCATE YOUR BOXES FARTHER AND FARTHER AWAY FROM HOME. When you factor in then for food costs, fuel costs, insurance, taxes, warehouse space, etc, etc) it makes all of this completely impractical.

There is something called The Law of Diminishing Returns. That means that when something is left beyond your or your companies control it is left up to the natural order of things. In this case the natural order of society. The natural order of things is for things to break down. In this case of honor boxes it is for people to start stealing from you and I guarantee you that will happen on an increasing scale.

I have been voicing my anger and frustration in the other topic I started called "I think I have lost all faith in the honor box business. Am I wrong here?" There have been some people who have been trying to counter what I've been saying about my own experiences with this. I believe at least a number of them aren't actually saying what they are saying because they are running an honor box business themselves but because they are either selling honor boxes or honor box business start-up guides online. Why else would someone be so adamant at trying to quell someone else who has had an adverse experience in this business? If you owned a business and you were hearing someone else talk about how that business was not a good business to be in AMONG THE PEOPLE WHO WERE EITHER IN THAT BUSINESS OR CONSIDERING GOING INTO THAT BUSINESS would you want them to shut up? Of course you wouldn't because you would know that that would discourage other people from going into that business and that would mean less competition for you. Less competition = more profit.

I have no motive to be saying all this other than to warn as many of you as I can not to think that you can do this as a career. I'm p%$%#@ off about all this and I want other people who have never done this before to listen to what I am saying so that hopefully they won't get ripped off either. Also remember that ANYBODY CAN MAKE UP ANYTHING ABOUT THEMSELVES OR THEIR BUSINESS ONLINE THAT THEY WANT TO. I have listened to what these people have said and I have even visited other people who have online articles written about them claiming that they do this for a profit. I've done everything that they've claimed they've done and I can promise you that the numbers do not add up.

If any of you who are just snakes lying in the grass (conmen) want to respond to this, go for it. I've got nothing else to say here and I didn't write this for you. I've written it for all the other people out there who are considering wasting their hard earned money and time on something like this. Hopefully they will listen to me.

For anyone reading this, please read the thread "I have given up hope with Honor Boxes. Am I wrong here?" which can be found HERE. I strongly encourage anyone considering a vending business of any type to do thorough research before they begin their endeavor.

Best wishes.

• 2 months later...

True honor box business is a tough business. Its not for the weak at heart. Only the strong make it. It does take a lot of money to get it going.

With most any kind of business only the strong will survive. According to the SBA something like 80% of all businesses don't make it to 5 years. I'm not sure where the statement that it takes a lot of money to get it going is coming from? A few hundred bucks to buy some boxes and product?

• 7 months later...

I was complaining to another bulk vendor because I got some locations from a locator on this forum and two weeks later a charity box would show up on top of my machines. The bulk vendor flat out told me when someone puts a charity box on or near his machine he makes sure to grab a handful of candy. Sad but true.

I think it could be viable business model you just need to watch how it is placed and make sure its somewhat supervised at the location.

I was complaining to another bulk vendor because I got some locations from a locator on this forum and two weeks later a charity box would show up on top of my machines. The bulk vendor flat out told me when someone puts a charity box on or near his machine he makes sure to grab a handful of candy. Sad but true.

If you're grabbing stuff out of an honor box, all you're doing is being a thief. All we're doing is chalking up the missing product as one variable in a mathematical formula.

99 to 100% of honor boxes have theft. It's not like we're going to go: WHAT!? SOMEONE STOLE FROM MY HONOR BOX?

We know there's theft. It's part of the deal.

I think it could be viable business model you just need to watch how it is placed and make sure its somewhat supervised at the location.

Don't ever put a honor box on a bulk vendor. Counter Mint boxes must be on the counter. The further from the counter the higher your loss will be and the lower your sales.

Don't ever put a honor box on a bulk vendor. Counter Mint boxes must be on the counter. The further from the counter the higher your loss will be and the lower your sales.

.... unless the store owner/manager specifically tells you to put it on top of the bulk machine.

After-all, it's their shop and both companies are guests.. (if you're paying money to lease the space inside that shop, that's obviously different..)

I agree with your statement "If you're grabbing stuff out of an honor box, all you're doing is being a thief." That being said if you think its all right to put your charity box on my machine I think your flat out wrong, I dont care if the owner says its ok or not. How would you like it if another charity box operator but their box ontop of yours?

Tell you what, I think there is an unspoken rule in bulk vending and that is dont touch my gear and I wont touch yours. IMO when operators stray from this one simple rule, things happen

I agree with your statement "If you're grabbing stuff out of an honor box, all you're doing is being a thief." That being said if you think its all right to put your charity box on my machine I think your flat out wrong, I dont care if the owner says its ok or not. How would you like it if another charity box operator but their box ontop of yours?

All kinds of things happen to them. They're moved, stolen, stolen from, placed beneath counters where no one can see, etc.. Doesn't bother me.. I'm there only because of the store's good graces.. as are you..

So basically, I place the box wherever the store owner/manager tells me to. If that's on top of bulk unit, then so be it.. you're not entitled to be in that store, nor am I.. we both need to place our units where we're told to..

Do I deliberately recommend placing them on other people's units? No of course not.. why would I want it right next to a competitor.. but the bottom line, again, is we need to remember who is ultimately the boss.. and that's the store owner/manager.. not me, not you.

Tell you what, I think there is an unspoken rule in bulk vending and that is dont touch my gear and I wont touch yours. IMO when operators stray from this one simple rule, things happen

Things happen?

Like what?

Will I wake up one morning and have a bunch of mutilated honor boxes at the foot of my bed as a warning?

Like I've already said, theft is a factor in our daily lives.. even if a box is stolen outright, we just replace it and keep going.. it's a numbers game..

All kinds of things happen to them. They're moved, stolen, stolen from, placed beneath counters where no one can see, etc.. Doesn't bother me.. I'm there only because of the store's good graces.. as are you..

Things happen?

Like what?

Will I wake up one morning and have a bunch of mutilated honor boxes at the foot of my bed as a warning?

Like I've already said, theft is a factor in our daily lives.. even if a box is stolen outright, we just replace it and keep going.. it's a numbers game..

The things that happen are all the things you mentioned, they just happen more often when you create bad karma. I know what your saying when you say 'its a numbers game' etc. I think your numbers get a whole lot better when you try to avoid creating bad blood

I think your numbers get a whole lot better when you try to avoid creating bad blood

Yes...they DO get a whole lot better when you avoid creating bad-blood.

Especially when you avoid creating bad blood with location owners!

I don't know how one can say "I dont care if the owner says its ok or not" and then attempt to share wisdom on the prudence of avoiding bad-blood.

Seems someone who recommends avoiding bad-blood with competitors would himself avoid bad-blood with a location's owner.

Talk about biting the hand that feeds you...

I don't put honor boxes on anyones bulk machines...rarely do I even put them on my own.

But, I am sure NOT going to push my luck being rigid with a location owner for the sake of sparing another vendor's feelings.

I'll take my chances pissing off a competitor before I take my chances pissing off a location owner.

Just because a location owner tells me to do something does not mean Im going to do it. By that logic it would be alright for me to throw someones rack in the back of may van and put my own in just because the location owner says do it. You guys place your boxes however you see fit but I think your numbers will worsen if you place them on others machines.

Just because a location owner tells me to do something does not mean Im going to do it. By that logic it would be alright for me to throw someones rack in the back of may van and put my own in just because the location owner says do it. You guys place your boxes however you see fit but I think your numbers will worsen if you place them on others machines.

You present an example that is so extreme your point becomes irrelevant.

Why not just post, "By that logic it would be alright for me to pay the location 100% commission just because the location owner says do it"?

No one is talking about something as crazy as a location owner telling you to take someone elses machines or paying 100% commission or any other number of rediculous exmples one can make up to strengthen their position.

The facts are these:

Expecting a vendor to tell the owner, "No!" when told to take someone elses machines is REALISTIC.

Expecting a vendor to tell an owner "No!" when given permission to put a box on top of someone elses equipment is UNREALISTIC.

Where an owner wants the box is where it's likely to get put in the real world.

That is such a given, that to lash out at an honor-box vendor for listening to the location owner makes you at fault for any bad-blood that results.

I guess I kinda spit onto the hornets nest here so to speak, especially since its the honor box forum and your the moderator.

I realize that example was extreme but I feel its straight wrong to put your boxes on other vendors machines. It happens to me, I dont like it but I dont mess with the box other than move it to service my machine. To me your facts are not facts but your opinion. What you find Unrealistic I think should be. I guess I'll have to leave it there. This forum should be open to all opinions yes? If not or if Im violating some etiquette let me know.

I guess I kinda spit onto the hornets nest here so to speak, especially since its the honor box forum and your the moderator.

I realize that example was extreme but I feel its straight wrong to put your boxes on other vendors machines. It happens to me, I dont like it but I dont mess with the box other than move it to service my machine. To me your facts are not facts but your opinion. What you find Unrealistic I think should be. I guess I'll have to leave it there. This forum should be open to all opinions yes? If not or if Im violating some etiquette let me know.

My posts are no more or less important than yours no matter what forum this is or what title is listed under my avatar.

Truth to tell, I run very few boxes myself...I do mostly bulk and have had others put boxes on my machine.

It doesn't bother me as it may bother others.

I just posted in reply to your posts because to set expectations that someone should not care what a locations owner says is pretty unrealistic in the real world as a locations owner is pretty much that hand that feeds us...honor box or bulk.

Are there limits to how much we oblige location owners, heck yes.

But, those limits shouldn't include denying a request as simple as one asking us to put our honor box on top of a bulk machine.

Because this forum prides itself on helping new vendors, I try to remember how posts can shape a new vendor's expectations and business-models.

• 2 months later...

Honor boxes will not work where the people have no honor.

Today's American Society is one heavily of dependence, it takes self respect from the recipients, and creates one of entitlement. People without self respect do not understand the principal of honor.

• 5 weeks later...

I've also been doing this for about 8 months. I make anywhere from 3000 to 5000 a month in profit.. I do have some issues but tell me a business out there thats problem free??? If you stay positive and work hard at it, it can be pretty profitable. I actually plan on adding a few more routes.

I've also been doing this for about 8 months. I make anywhere from 3000 to 5000 a month in profit.. I do have some issues but tell me a business out there thats problem free??? If you stay positive and work hard at it, it can be pretty profitable. I actually plan on adding a few more routes.

How many boxes do you have out?

• 2 weeks later...

I have mostly snack and drink machines.  Some of them have other people's bulk vendors next to, or near them.  I will on occasion move the other person's bulk vendor so I can open my machines to service them.  BUT, I always put them back and make sure they are straight and will even wipe them off if need be, just so the whole "vending area" looks good.  

I don't know the people who own them.

Do you think it's okay for me to do that?  

I have mostly snack and drink machines.  Some of them have other people's bulk vendors next to, or near them.  I will on occasion move the other person's bulk vendor so I can open my machines to service them.  BUT, I always put them back and make sure they are straight and will even wipe them off if need be, just so the whole "vending area" looks good.  

I don't know the people who own them.

Do you think it's okay for me to do that?  

You are protecting your own interest by making sure the vending area looks good.

And you are also protecting their machines from being knocked over if you accidentally bump them.

The fact that you put them back in an appropriate manner makes what you do ok IMO.

• 2 years later...

i have 125 honor boxes i have had for 2 years i found in some places i put velcro on the bottom of the boxes and on the counters and that helps keep people from stealing the boxes if you can get he owners to allow you to do this you will have less of the boxes stollen. also you can get some plastic sheets from hobby lobby and cut these out and glue to the box where the coins go this helps keep people from breaking into the boxes. hope this helps

hey vendingbutler1:

I think you are crazy saying what you said.  I have a large bulk route and a large honor route and i make more (and easier) returns on my honor boxes.  by the way its all i do as a full time job and just hired my second employee also.  so dont say things about people who sell boxes or locators who locate boxes until you can speak correctly about them.  ive had nothing but great results with certian box sellers and locators..  now that being sai there not going to place themseles or service them selves either.

to make honor boxes a full time job its very simple:

1. get out of bed and go hustle and grind hard everyday.

2. be smarter than the average joe!

3. be polite to the business owners that allow you to put your box in there location, b/c woth out them you have nothing.

i lose locations all the time.  just replace and move on.  theres a million places to place these locations.  i have strip malls with upto 10 boxes in the same strip mall.  they can never be too close!

if you need some help just ask  thats what this forum is for and theres a ton of info here if you know how to find it.

i have location that do 3 bucks a month and i have locations that do 225 dollars a month on my honor boxes!  so once again its very possible to make a very comfortable living on them.  you cant have 30 boxes and expect to make a living either   id say on 250 boxes a single person sould make a healthy proffitt..

Are you talking about mint boxes or full size honor boxes?     What is a realistic goal for a mint boxes?     I think 12-15$/ mo. is a good goal.    I am new but I think this may be even a little low.   Do you do your own locating?

• 2 weeks later...

Running a full time snack box business is absolute possible.  I am living proof of that.  I got laid off from my last (4 times in 7 years) and the last time it happened I told them they could have it.  I decided to take out my 401k, pay off a lot of my debt and concentrate on my snack box route.  At the time I got laid off I had 8 boxes.  That was back in February.  Here it is December and I have 101.  The guy that was bad mouthing the business is just a typical "i hate life in general" type of person.  I'm not sure what he was expecting when he started his snack box business, but the only way you won't succeed in this business is if you are lazy and expect the money  to roll in without putting in the effort or if you quit.  Persistence Is what's make this business roll.  You can't expect to just put out your boxes and that's it.  You have to continue to put out boxes as you pull bad accounts.  It's a simple business, but not easy.  There will be theft, that's just a given in this line of work but if that's something that's going to bother you then this business is not for you.  As long as I keep the theft below 20% then I consider that a good account and will not pull it.  overall I am running about 11% theft for my overall route. 

I plan on building my route to 400 boxes at least and when I first started that seemed like an impossible goal, now I know for a fact it is going to happen and love what I do and I will never work for someone else again.

Hope this helps anyone thinking about getting into this business.  I will be glad to answer any questions anyone may have that's starting out

Archived