Gumball Gimmicks

English Vending

I'm sure everyone has seen them and might even use them. The gumball machines that have the 1 inch (I think) capsules in them that have a dollar bill folded up into it and some change sometimes. What are your thoughts on this? Does it work for you if you use it? I'm thinking about incorporating it into one of my vendstars only because there is a Beaver spiral GB machine right next to me doing it and my gum balls only got .50 cents this month :( let me know your thoughts!

I wouldn't do it either anymore. It's been a long time since I have done it. But I see it often still. You can learn a lot from older vending guys. Anyone remember the days when operators would pin a 20 or 50 dollar bill to a bear in a crane then secure the bear to the bottom of the crane with fishing line.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

I wouldn't do it either anymore. It's been a long time since I have done it. But I see it often still. You can learn a lot from older vending guys. Anyone remember the days when operators would pin a 20 or 50 dollar bill to a bear in a crane then secure the bear to the bottom of the crane with fishing line.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

A local operator used to do this with a gravel crane in a big chain store. He had a $50.00 rubber-banded to an iPod that was attached to the bottom of the crane with hot glue. Enough people had tried that all the gravel had been pushed away from around it, and it was clear as day that it was glued on. I like to think that that was the reason a NEN crane replaced it last fall.

I'm sure everyone has seen them and might even use them. The gumball machines that have the 1 inch (I think) capsules in them that have a dollar bill folded up into it and some change sometimes. What are your thoughts on this? Does it work for you if you use it? I'm thinking about incorporating it into one of my vendstars only because there is a Beaver spiral GB machine right next to me doing it and my gum balls only got .50 cents this month :( let me know your thoughts!

It is against the Gaming Laws which state that "money or a coupon with a monetary value" are agaisnt the law to sell. The fines are hefty and I would not recommend baiting customers with money. In California it is a msideminor every time a sale is made for the vendor and the location owner. In addition, to the fines associated.

I wouldn't recommend that. I can only imagine the amount of trouble you could get into if the right organization deemed that gambling.

Its not the right organization that will just mozy in. Its the right competitor that will mozy in and report you.

What if you used foreign currency instead? How would the laws look upon that? I know that bob butler sells wholesale volumes of foreign coins out of capsules.

What if you used foreign currency instead? How would the laws look upon that? I know that bob butler sells wholesale volumes of foreign coins out of capsules.

Now that's an interesting idea, I have a lot of the Zimbabwe, it's either a trillion or 100 trillion, I bought for $hlts n Giggles for like .25 each. Wonder what people would think of those lol.

I honestly can't believe the fishing-line/super-glue scheme isn't flat-out illegal. I'm surprised this thread hasn't generated more anger.

If I were playing that game, and came to the conclusion the item was glued down, I would call somebody - I don't know who - but somebody. And I would not walk away from that machine until I got some kind of justice, preferably with law enforcement presence.

It is against the Gaming Laws which state that "money or a coupon with a monetary value" are agaisnt the law to sell. The fines are hefty and I would not recommend baiting customers with money. In California it is a msideminor every time a sale is made for the vendor and the location owner. In addition, to the fines associated.

Its not the right organization that will just mozy in. Its the right competitor that will mozy in and report you.

Do you all think I should let the hotel manager know what's up? I would not be a happy camper if this Beaver spiral got found out somehow and the hotel just kicked us all out. On the other hand I don't want to "tattle"

Do you all think I should let the hotel manager know what's up? I would not be a happy camper if this Beaver spiral got found out somehow and the hotel just kicked us all out. On the other hand I don't want to "tattle"

Well, this is a matter of risk/reward for me. Typically I won't be the squeaky wheel if I can help it. However, if the risk of getting booted is looming, you may as well report him to the administrators. I always feel a little bad seeing someone get booted because I can relate to that, but if the guy broke the rules it was bound to bite him eventually. One thing first- make sure it's not the hotel's machine you report!

Well, this is a matter of risk/reward for me. Typically I won't be the squeaky wheel if I can help it. However, if the risk of getting booted is looming, you may as well report him to the administrators. I always feel a little bad seeing someone get booted because I can relate to that, but if the guy broke the rules it was bound to bite him eventually. One thing first- make sure it's not the hotel's machine you report!

Yeah I don't want to be that guy either but this is one of my best locations and I didn't even know this was possibly illegal until I started this thread! Maybe I will just leave a note for the vendor on his coin door and tell him to take that crap out of there. Gonna replace my gum balls with bouncy balls anyways so he won't even be a competitor.

Yeah I don't want to be that guy either but this is one of my best locations and I didn't even know this was possibly illegal until I started this thread! Maybe I will just leave a note for the vendor on his coin door and tell him to take that crap out of there. Gonna replace my gum balls with bouncy balls anyways so he won't even be a competitor.

Judging by the way my competition deals with me, I think you'll be met with some real resistance. In my experience, the vendors around the forum are much better than the guys you find "out there". If you're worried about it, I'd call the guy's service line and tell him about it. Then you get an immediate connection and can make your decision right away. If he doesn't sound apt to change his ways, report him to the hotel administration. Be careful when you report though- be very specific- otherwise you run the risk of getting booted too. Good Luck English!

• 2 weeks later...

be sure of the laws, here as long as you get a prize every time theres nothing wrong with it,

And I would not walk away from that machine until I got some kind of justice, preferably with law enforcement presence.

You'd better have the rest of your day clear of any to-do's if you aren't walking away until you have "got some kind of justice"...and maybe even make plans on spending the night on location.

Just letting the location know about the issue isn't going to get you "justice" since most workers at a location don't even know how to handle a misvend, much less a glued-down product.

And there are A LOT of situations where a "law enforcement presence" would be nice, but many of us can't spare the hour and hours it will take a cop to show up to a non-emergency call.

Archived