Bay leaves / ants

davidsurvz

Hey I just wanted to pass along a tip. Not sure how well it works but I heard that ants can't stand the scent of bay leaves.... I just wanted to pass that along. (Maybe leaf / leaves could go between the base and the hopper?) If anyone tries it out let me know if it works.....

(When I finally start getting my machines located I'll try it out)

David

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow David,

Thats a great idea, if it works. You could actually place those inside the coin box or affix them somehow to the underside. That is something worth testing. I'm going to place a leaf next to an ant hill out in the yard tomorrow and see what happens.

Steve

I just read this post and decided to try something.I have an ant problem in my house,I have a regulator exterminator that comes quarterly(no pun intended);) and no matter what I do their still there.Last week I found a 12 pack (Brisk Tea)full of tiny ants.I'll let everyone know if it works.

John

OK! I've been researching this online Some people swear by it and some people say it doesn't work..... Maybe we can team up and try this out and come to an official Forum conclusion......

If it works it would be a great way to go. I've also heard rumors about black pepper and cinammon but the most consistant one is bay leaves.

David

• 2 months later...

My wife put some down last year outside the house and she said it scurried away the ants. I am going to try it with my machines. It can't hurt I am thinking of putting some leaves under the coin trays in my 1800's. I still haven't figured out the Seaga Millenia machines yet.

David

Yes I have gone exclusively to the double sided tape after experiencing some "running" issues with the Vaseline. Also, I tend to forget about the Vaseline when I go to move the machines. I reach under and grab the stand right where the jelly is and....eeecchh! :X

Steve

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Plus I was thinking if your are spraying the bug juice it is going to stink!

and for sure people are going to question it!

Soooo  bay leaves it is.   thanks for responding to this Johnny,  I forgot about this thread.

Eve

OMG........City Electric called and said they have hundreds of ants!!!  wanted the machine out!   I convinced them to let us give the ant spray and bay leaf a try and they said " SURE"  

WOW    Jim is now in panic mode!  He was just servicing the machines and is now going back to all them this week to spray and put a couple of bay leaves in the coin trays.      We shall see if this works now for sure!!

I'll keep you posted.

Eve

Just wanted to chime in here and let everyone know Raid makes a Lemon Scent Ant and Roach Spray.

She picked it up at the grocery store.

We're going to spray it on the base of all our located machines on the next service

cycle. We clean the base anyway so this will be just one more little step we have to

remember.

How expensive are Bay Leaves? My wife has some in the spice cabinet and there are

like 12 little leaves in the jar. (But no price.) I thought they were high priced.

Dave

Thanks Lurker.

I am reading all about bay leaves and ants and just didn't want to make any comments but since you did, I have to say, In my area I can not experiment with anything but TERRO Ant KILLER from Ace Hardware. The stuff I buy smells for about 2 minutes and it's gone. I bring the machine out side, spray it, and it dries. I don't have to worry about ants for about 3 months. Nothing passes the base of the machines.

I live in Southern California and these tiny ants get in to everything if you don't spray. I learned the hard way and have never had a problem since.

P.S. The accounts love it because they don't have to worry about my machine drawing ants in to their business.

Gary