BevMax 2145 problem

joel112

As a Vending Tech, I sunk far too much time into adjusting those damn sensors. I now disable them. ( I know this makes some people's heads explode. Sorry. ) 

There are three different models to concern yourself with. 

1 ) The first is the one sensor model. It wasn't in production too long. To bypass the sensor, cut off then connector end of the sensor assembly, including about 3-4 inches of wiring. Strip an inch of insulation from the two outside wires, and twist them together, shorting out those wires. Put a small bit of electrical tape around the bare wires, and then tie the middle wire around the two ( now connected ) wires. This keeps them in place.

2 ) The second model is the basic two sensor model. It was in production far longer than the first one. The procedure is essentially the same, but now you have something else to work with. There is a jumper wire that connects to a small board that essentially feeds the two sensor circuits. Remove this jumper wire, it has the same connections as the end of one of the sensor assemblies. Simply cut all three wires at the halfway point and follow the instructions I detailed above. ( You also have a small bit of wire protector. I cut this in half and slide it down over the third wire that you've tied around the two jumped wires. It protects it. As a bonus, you've not damaged the sensor assemblies themselves, and can mess with them later if you want an exasperating experience comparable to the punishments of Sisyphus.

3 ) The Energy Star model is a bit different. The board that controls the sensors has a host of other duties, and cannot simply be bypassed. You must cut the sensor assembly wires as detailed in #1 to bypass the sensors.

NOTE: In a perfect world, I would never, ever, ever bypass the sensors. They serve an important purpose, and over the long run keep your customers happy by reducing missed vends and bottle jams. Unfortunately, I 1) don't have the time to properly adjust the dang things. They're fiddly and just when you think you've got them aligned, they start beeping again. and 2) customers get more angry when a machine is constantly beeping ( especially when it's been going on a week and no one every called you because "well, Susan from Accounting is always the one who calls the vending company" ) than I've ever seen them about anything, ever. 

I categorically disagree with your sentiments other than my agreement about the purpose and usefulness of the sensors. I haven't found a working sensor that I couldn't adjust to work properly. As an experienced technician I have the appropriate patience and determination to do a repair like this properly and completely. I never made my desire to get in and get out as quickly as possible the primary goal of my work. If I did my work that way then I would be nothing more than a parts replacer and a quick fixer. That's not how I do things and all of my years of experience and my thorough knowledge of machines still allows me to make quick a diagnosis and usually a fairly quick and permanent fix to anything I see. I charge by the hour and this repair, when all the parts are there, easily takes a half hour or less.

I'm not calling into question your capabilities but perhaps your work environment or employer(s) didn't allow you the "luxury" of doing a complete repair so that every Bevmax sensor you see could be adjusted to perform the way they were intended to perform. I'm not saying that the earlier sensors were easy to adjust but now with the laser aiming ability of the newer sensors it's not difficult to do at all, and there's still plenty of older sensors that I will still successfully adjust. The value of a working sensor is worth the repair.

• Like 1

I cut the black and blue wires and connected them. Then disabled the sensors from the setup menu. Now my card reader doesn't work. I called USA and had them ck their end and they said its my machine that Is causing the reader to not work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by allen watson

I don't see how the drop sensor or it's program setting would affect the card reader but turn the sensor back on since bypassing the sensor will not affect vending in any way except that you won't have retry limits available.  Upon a vend the machine will just assume it was successful and cancel the credit.  Maybe that will make the card reader work again. 

Does the machine work on coins and bills?

The credit card system is looking for a signal on the MDB bus that each vend was successful. It seems likely the software in this 2145 board will not send that code without a signal from the sensor.

Walta

• Like 1

I tried the card reader on a different 5591 that also has the drop sensors bypassed and the reader was unable to accept cards. So just to be sure my problem isn't with the reader I tried it on a working machine and the reader tested good. Must be the sensor issue disabling the cc reader.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

Hi. New around here,

I've a remove product error and I'm keen to remove the drop sensor, the machine is in my local youth club so only used for 4 hours twice a week and I'm always there to sort refunds.

Reading through the posts regarding bypassing the drop sensor, I have the sensor board version.

So do I leave the 2 sensors connected and just cut the link cable from from j17 to j3 on sensor board and short out blue and black outer cables. And cut the brown

Also do I need do disable the drop sensor in set up mode.

Thank you in advance

Neil

You need to keep the drop sensor working on your machine so that people don't lose money when products don't vend.  The drop sensor is more useful for that than anything else.  The original ECC versions of the 2145 used the drop sensor to keep glass bottles from dropping onto other bottles.  The sensor then became useful to verify that a vend was made so the credit could be cancelled.  This then allowed the sensor to be also used to ensure that if a product didn't fall the customer could still select something else without losing their money.  Using the sensor in this way means you want to set the RETRY LIMIT to 3 which means the machine will allow 2 additional vend attempts before the machine then refunds the credit.  This ensures a happy customer as they will either get to select an alternate drink or get their money back.  No more refunds for stuck products!  

If your sensor is problematic then I can send you a replacement that has an aiming laser in it to simplify getting the sensor lined up.  This allows you to use all the capabilities of the machine.  Email me at rbepic4gatgmaildotcom if you need one.  If you insist on taking the easy way out then you have to cut the sensor harness about 4 inches away from the logic board and then short the black and blue leads together.  This will defeat the sensor and make the logic board think that nothing is ever in the delivery bin. 

• Like 1

Hi thanks for your reply, but I'm not interested in replacing sensors, the machine was given to the youth club, and doesn't get a lot of use,

So I just need to stop the remove product error that keeps occurring.

So am I on the right track leaving the 2 sensors connected and linking out the blue and black on the jumper cable between main board and sensor board, then disabling drop sensors in the menu.

Cheers agian in advance

Neil

• 10 months later...

Just bought this DN5591 and after being told by the seller that it was 100% operational, I find out that the sure vend has been disabled on it, the 2 wires are shorted as described here.

Well, I want that feature back!  Here is what was done to the machine.  How do I fix this now?

15644970_10211022720300006_1156225151_n.jpg

6 hours ago, syl20c said:

Just bought this DN5591 and after being told by the seller that it was 100% operational, I find out that the sure vend has been disabled on it, the 2 wires are shorted as described here.

Well, I want that feature back!  Here is what was done to the machine.  How do I fix this now?

15644970_10211022720300006_1156225151_n.jpg

Is it the sensor harness that has been chopped or is it the dual adaptor board harness?

3 hours ago, kiwi said:

Is it the sensor harness that has been chopped or is it the dual adaptor board harness?

Each of the two sensor harnesses are intact from the board to the sensor themselves. It's a third connector on the board that's been jumped.  No other wire on that connector other than the two jumped wires.  Do I just pull it off?

Edited by syl20c

6 hours ago, AZVendor said:

If you'll email me at rbepic4gatgmaildotcom I can send you a replacement drop sensor.

Once I can confirm whether they need replacement or simply adjustments, I will take you up on that

That third connector that is jumped goes to the sensor daughter board.  They probably had the sensors mis-adjusted which made them beep so they just bypassed them both in this way to stop the beeping.  At the very least you need the jumper harness replaced and then you will have to see if the sensors themselves can be adjusted to eliminate false beeping.  If your sensors aren't the new style that have a read beam coming from them to aid in aiming them then you will probably want to replace them.  

You can plug each sensor by itself into the main logic board and test each of them that way.  Then you'll know which parts you need to replace.

• Like 1

You should use both sensors and turn on the retry limit so that the bottom sensor will allow a vend retry if a product gets stuck.  The upper sensor won't do that as it's only to prevent someone from holding the delivery flap up to steal products. Therefore both sensors should be used.

• Like 1

Here is a "better" photo.

I can't see another wire cut off.  Were those 2 jumpered wires hooked up into the harness somewhere?  How do I fix this?

I intend on using both sensors.

Thanks.

IMG_20161218_2005142.jpg

As I said, you have to replace the jumper harness from the daughter board to the logic board, but you need to plug each sensor separately into the MISC connection and see if those sensors work properly first.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Wow, looks like im piggybacking onto this thread, thats already been necro'ed twice.  I hope the mods approve my post, as im basically rehashing the same problem and questions.

I've got a DN5591 thats been working fine for several years and the past few days the remove product error keeps appearing.  After a quick power off and restart it'd clear the error, but the same error would show up again once a product vends, guaranteed.  Funnily enough, a good smack on the side of the machine would also clear the error.  It's a 2 sensor machine, and with some testing i found the problem solely lies with the bottom try sensor where the first drop sensor seems to be working fine.  If i pass my hand through the top sensor beam's path, it'll beep and stop beeping when i take my hand away.  The bottom sensor starts yammering the moment i fidget with it at all, including taking out the bottom tray and making sure there's no dust or obstructions between the beam and reflective material

So after doing some research on what i can do, short of calling for a vending machine repair guy, im seriously considering to cut the wires as suggested above to just straight up bypass the sensor.  I've already tried via Setup Mode in disabling the sensor, but that doesnt seem to do anything, hell im guessing it prolly disabled the top sensor and not the bottom sensor that has a problem.  Before i even then decided to start cutting wires, i decided to do a good cleaning, and hope maybe its some crazy dust causing all the problems, and now a good smack wont reset the error anymore.

Wondering if its a bad sensor, or if i should just cut the wires now.  Im kinda confused at some of the instructions, i was fully intending to do what AllenWatson did in his photo, cut the blue and black wires and splice em, so that the sensor is always "on", but apparently i need to "cut" the brown wire too?   All the terminology is new to me, and when i try to lookup youtube videos of how to do whats suggested im getting nothing.

It's a simple setup, no credit card reader or anything.  Also at a hotel, so the front desk has a refund fund to tap into, which is why im mostly decided to just bypass the sensor.

Also another reason i loathe to call in a repair tech is all the good trustworthy  ones i used to use moved away or retired and the last guy i used tried to rip me off hardcore and the one previous to that did shoddy work.  I'm pretty ignorant on how to handle machines, as i only have 8 of em which is basically like a part time gig to me, but I'd really like to get this done myself if possible.

Ooh also, im noticing my drinks are frosting up all of a sudden.  There's a thin coat of frost on all of my bottled drinks now, and i cant seem to find the temperature control to raise it (lol this is my newest machine and ive even less clue how to operate it), ive looked all over the inside and cant find any temp gauges , i kinda wonder if the low temps is screwing with the sensor something.  Maybe if i raise the temps by a tick or two, the errors will clear up?