Dixie Narco 501E Ballast Replacement ?

Hi

I have a Dixie Narco 501E vending machine and it looks like it has a bad ballast. I installed new bulbs and cleaned/inspected all the connections and the ballast seems to be the culprit. Advance Transformer Co, 120v 60Hz model # SM-2E57-STP-PC

The ballast in the machine is a huge, heavy dinosaur... do I need to replace it with the same ballast or can I install a more modern ballast that's about 1/4 the size and weight ? The machine will never see outside use since it's a private use machine in my basement.

Thanks !

Scott

Hi

I have a Dixie Narco 501E vending machine and it looks like it has a bad ballast. I installed new bulbs and cleaned/inspected all the connections and the ballast seems to be the culprit. Advance Transformer Co, 120v 60Hz model # SM-2E57-STP-PC

The ballast in the machine is a huge, heavy dinosaur... do I need to replace it with the same ballast or can I install a more modern ballast that's about 1/4 the size and weight ? The machine will never see outside use since it's a private use machine in my basement.

Thanks !

Scott

The ballast just needs to match the lamps - you'll find the lamp designation on one end of the lamps. It'll say something like F72T12CW. You should be able to get a ballast at Home Depot or Lowes. The label on the ballast will tell you what lamps it will operate

Cobra,

Did your lights suddenly go out? Before you replace the ballast, use a volt meter to verify you have 110V AC to the ballast. Is the ballast warm? If it is then you have power to it. With power off, ohm out all wires from the ballast to any connections in the light circuit and wires between connections all the way to each lamp socket. You need a complete circuit on both lamps for either one to light. Do this with the lamps out of the machine.

Is the ballast located in the door under the delivery port or inside the cabinet by the compressor? If by the compressor, you may have a broken wire in the door harness. If a ballast is required, you can no longer get magnetic ballasts (thanks to our wonderful government) and you have to use an electronic ballast. You should be able to find a proper ballast at Lowes or Home Depot. If you can't find a correct ballast at a hardware store you will need to find an electrical supply house or lighting supply house for it. Read all info on the labels and verify that the new ballast will run two T12 single pin lamps in your length which is either 64" or 72". When retrofitting an electronic ballast you must note any wiring changes used by the new ballast. Sometimes this is tying wires together or leaving one unused and safely terminated.

It is also possible that you have high output lamps which are indicated by shrouded pins on the ends of the lamps. The lamps aren't interchangable with single pin and you need a ballast specific to high output lamps if you have those. High output lamps were only used in machines built for Coke as one of their requirements of the manufacturers (along with cols. 1 and 2 running off selection 1). If your machine is an original Coke machine you will have high output lamps.

Hey all.

I went to Home Depot and picked out a ballast that had one of the electrical employees help me find the correct ballast for my bulb type... $19.99 later and I took it home and tested it out in my machine. Works perfectly... and is about 1/6th the size and weight of the original and runs much cooler (you could cook a turkey on the old one). So I shortened up the excess wiring, dressed it up and put it back together...Looks great !

Thanks again for all your help in troubleshooting !

Scott

• 3 years later...

Archived