Compass / Aramark Food Services

I've been eyeing vending for a few large college locations recently and have tried to speak to someone in charge at these places for food services. Problem is, I'm hitting a brick wall.

One college has their food services contracted out to Aramark, and another to Compass. Of course, the vending there is run by Aramark themselves or in the case of Compass, Canteen. They are, in my opinion, doing a horrific job running the machines. Product isn't loaded correctly, pricing isn't set right, and the bill validators on some units aren't even working.

Everyone I have talked to at these places work directly for Aramark or Compass, including the director of food services for these colleges. It seems like the colleges don't even have anyone under their direct payroll and has given these food service companies complete control.

I guess that means I'm out of luck? There's no way I can ever bid on the food services contract (and I'm not interested in doing so either)

In educational institutions you will find the food and vending is usually under one contract.  The food service contractor is then responsible for any vending requirements.  Not all institutions are like that however, as some will actually have a food service contract and a separately bid vending contract or two, depending on if they give a soda contract separate from the food vending contract.  This is how it has been done at Arizona State University.  In order to bid on any of these contracts you need to become an authorized bidder by filling out documentation as to your qualifications and the types of contracts you wish to bid on at each institution or district. 

Yes, it is very common for the food service company to also provide the vending services when Aramark and Compass/Canteen are involved.  It doesn't matter how good a job they do or what their pricing is or what financial benefit is given to the school.  As long as no big stink is made that isn't remedied per the terms of the contract, nothing will change.  It is too expensive for a school to put a contract as large as these out to bid simply because of substandard service.  There has to be fraud or a gross failure to perform for anything to even get close to a rebid. 

Now where you might be able to get a foot in the door is where a food service contractor doesn't have its own vending division (Restaura if they still exist, Sodexo, and even Aramark in some locales) you can get in good with the contractor and begin to service vending at some other their food service locations.  Aramark in this area worked this way for many years.  They provided food service and vending together in Intel, Boeing, Edward Jones and University of Phoenix but used subcontractors in USAA, and JP Morgan Chase Bank. 

Every market is different and you have to find out the situation there, but you need to be professional, have corporate references and have cash available for new equipment whenever one of these rolls around.  Used equipment doesn't usually cut it in a new food service contract.

Colleges do not want to mess around with vending problems.  A lot of times you will fnd that Aramark/Compass supply so much under one roof that it is hard to comprte with them, They offer Uniform services, house keeping,  take care of the Food Service aspect including College dineing, the sports concession business and vending. I work for one of those concerns and for example the local college here has over a hundred drink and snack machines. Yes it is a major college.  We also have the food service and consession rights through a sister company.  It would be a very hard nut to crack. Only small colleges use Independant vendors.

Archived